PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reasons For Loss To Rice

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Reasons For Loss To Rice

Postby fbdad » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:32 pm

Reasons why we lost to Rice:
1.Too conservative in the first half. Why run the clock down at the half instead of throwing the ball up. It's not like we were winning...
2. We're back to going for it on 4 and 7 instead of trying a 32 yd field goal. Is there a reason.? Yes, our kicker cemented his rep by missing a 31 yd field goal along with an extra point. Bring on McMurtray..
3.Special teams play suffered again.Putting Medlock on every special teams just to get his butt kicked all over the field doesn't help the effort. I didn't see much showboating today. Guess he was to busy picking himself up.The blocked punt was preventable. End of discussion on special teams.
4.Moodley continues his streak of nine bad games. He makes some plays but the problem is he misses on the ones that really count.Third and 3,the guy carries him four...Missed tackle on TD. Bennett so mad he couldn't even chew him out.Maybe he'll be rewarded again as co captain.
5.Humphrey is probably one of the best talents we have in the secondary. He just needs seasoning. It's a shame that he missed red shirt this season because they'll not do it next year.With a red shirt this year, he'd have been great next year. If he keeps missing pass cover as he did today, he'll be lucky to play special teams next year.

Positive comments: Rico Harris played a good game. Player of the game should go to Trey Griffin.Trey is another example of talent on the bench, Bartel looked great, should have let him open the game up more.Rice's pass defense sucked.Attendance was so low that parking was a snap. Probably set a record for low attendance at a DIV 1 game....
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Re: Reasons For Loss To Rice

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:34 am

re: the poor attendance; the combination of bad weather and Rice/SMU as the combatants spells trouble...but the announced crowd og 10,845 (paid?) was better than the 8,413 that watched UNT at La-Lafayette, or the 6.190 who watched Utah St at La-Monroe or the 5,102 who witnessed Akron at Buffalo. I could not find an annoinced crowd for the Boise at San Jose St game, but I'm sure that was less than the I-A standard of 15,000.

Of course, a 10k crowd looks pretty pathetic in Rice's 70k seat stadium. That's one more reason to be thankful for Ford Stadium. Now, if we could just start winning and putting an average of 25k butts in our own seats!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Reasons For Loss To Rice

Postby Lefty » Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:53 pm

Harsh comments, fbdad, and right on the money.
I agree with everything you said.
Lefty
All-American

Return to Football