PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Position changes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Position changes

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:08 am

the DMN reports today that Matt Rushbrook is changing "permanently" from CB to WR. Interesting development when we seem to be struggling in the secondary. Cavan always spoke of Rushbrook as a good safety type with a "nose for the ball". Interesting how two coaching staffs can view a guy so differently.

Who are the other candidates likely to switch positions...possibly in spring ball to prepare for next year? I hear lots of talk about Harris not being fast enough to play the safety position. Could he put on some lbs and muscle up to play LB? What about OL/DL/TE candidates? What is Wallis' future?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Position changes

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:57 am

The OL is so stacked up right now that I'm sure coach Fello will try to experiment and switch some guys over to his DL for awhile. I want to add some guys to look out for next year: Robert Gilmore, DB, Cole Horton, LB, Jamar Bey, LB, and Ryan Kennedy, TE. Daniel Francis, Jamey Harper, and Rolando Humphrey have all proven that they can compete and should only get better in the next 4 years here. Can't wait to see the product of a full year's recruiting from Bennett's staff :)

[This message has been edited by SMUStudent06 (edited 10-30-2002).]

Postby hpfan » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:03 pm

With the strength of the freshmen recruiting class there should be some real advances and contributions coming for next season...First Eidson will move from guard to center and with additional weight probably start.He could be about 280 by summer and already has the best technique on the team.Horton will likely break into the lineup at olb as should Bey at special teams as well. Hard to keep their talent on the sidelines.They are getting bigger.Carrington has a non stop motor as a olb and should also play. I believe some of these guys would have already been playing but for good player management of eligibility by the coaches.Urbanus is being heard from and is over 300 currently.He is well thought of by his teamates and could start at OT.Darrin Johnson is a player the coaches will create a position for if necessary and continues to grow at 280 and a TE.Karrington on travel sqd all year mostly at DT but may be our best DE at 6.4 260 on his way to 270. Will play wherever Fello wants him Probably alongside ADami but better on edge.
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPower » Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:54 pm

When did Karrington get moved to OLB? He's been listed all year at DE.

Likewise, Darrin Johnson has been practicing all year at DE, not TE.

And 06, isn't it a bit premature to suggest the OL is "stacked"? Bennett said this week he was very disappointed in the o-line at Rice, and while there is considerable promise there, much of the talent is very young and as of yet undeveloped, hence the commitment already from four new o-linemen.

Love the optimism from both you and hpfan, though.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby hpfan » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:22 pm

Thats Brent Karrington 6.4 260 DE,DT vs Reggie Carrington 6.1 225 OLB
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:38 pm

How about Tate Wallis at strong safety next year? Before you laugh, consider the details: he didn't get the job done at QB because of throwing mechanics, not because of his decision-making -- he made very good reads and decisions at the line of scrimmage.

And he's a very good athlete who is smart enough to play many positions. In high school, he played linebacker, in addition to quarterback. Since he's been at SMU, he's played wide receiver, scout-team tight end and quarterback. He's accepted Bartel's promotion with immense class, and remains supportive and enthusiastic about the team. He clearly enjoys the game a lot, and probably would play noseguard if the coaches asked him to, just to be on the field.

And remember, even when he wasn't throwing the ball particularly well, he seemed to be strong and relatively fast when he tucked the ball and ran with it, never afraid of contact. How many times did we see him lower his shoulder and take on a tackler, instead of stepping out of bounds or sliding? I think he could be a very solid safety/special teams guy.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Fresh » Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:47 pm

Funny you mention safeties - I've wondered if Ashton Nixon could play safety. It's kind of crowded at receiver, and he's got a good frame. What is he, 6'2" 210 or something? I bet he can hit, and he hasn't cracked the rotation at WR just yet.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby fbdad » Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:04 pm

Harris is slowly establishing himself at the strong safety position. He's improved with each game. He'll just be stronger with improved technique next season. I would expect him to retain his starting position. The problem is at free safety. Moodley has had his problems this year. Harper, though good on special teams, had his problems at the position of strong safety so I don't think he'd be any better at free.I don't know whether Wallis is fast enough to play safety.I would think that the position will be wide open for all comers in the spring
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Postby Buddha » Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:08 pm

Is Gilmore supposed to be in the mix at safety? Or is he stricly a cornerback? What about that Fitzgerald guy?
Buddha
All-American

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:54 am

As far as I can tell, Gilmore is a better cover man. With KG leaving, I'd rather have Gilmore than Humphrey at the position. Why can't Humphrey play FS? He's certainly got speed, and he is improving his play.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:02 am

Ponypower, probably correct, but I meant we have so many guys lsited as OL, that there should be more they can do. I think.

hpfan, what a great preview. all 3 linebackers will be able to contribute, at the very least on special teams. Horton is getting much bigger! I remember him and Bey when they checked in for camp over the summer. Sidney and Coach Faucette are doing a great job. Karrington is also getting stronger, and he should be able to challenge at the DE position next year. Eidson, Urbanus, and Johnson should be good. Johnson is gaining more muscle and should be VERY promising.

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:45 pm

I thought about Gilmore when I was watching Nevada CB Ali Jones (from Dallas W.T. White HS, no less). Jones is quick and tall, with very long arms. He made at least one play that shorter corners simply couldn't make because he has those long telescoping arms. (How'd he get out of Dallas? He should be a Mustang - but I digress.) Gilmore has the same kind of frame. He's about 6 feet tall, give or take an inch, and he has very long arms and great athletic ability and jumping ability. He will make a very nice corner, if he can cover as well as advertised.

Humphrey is too small to play safety. He'll be fine at CB.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Football