PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

C-USA

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

C-USA

Postby Nacho » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:39 am

C-USA now 0-2 in bowls, well on their way to 0-5. Word on the strett is that NO Bowl will drop C-USA affiliation, especially since Cincy only sold about 3k tickets. IMO opinion WAC would be a doubtful replacement. More likely is that the Big 12 will swoop down on it if they can get a 6-6 team to go, like say A$M this year.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: C-USA

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:14 am

I dunno... a six win LaTech team could bring some fans to that one. And Fresno has a pretty big draw...just a thought. I really thought they should have taken Tulane over Cincy though.

Re: C-USA

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:11 pm

any of the "minor" bowls would love to have a local BCS program to boost it's attendance. There's no doubt in my mind that a 6-6 A$M team would have made that New Orleans bowl a much better match-up and probably doubled the attendance. As for the comments about Fresno...well, they have a decent home following and will come close to filling the 30,000 seats in the San Jose Silicon Valley bowl, but they wouldn't have done any better than Cincy did in New Orleans. Just too far to travel for a program heavily supported by the California farming community.

As for Tulane "staying home", I'm sure the N.O. bowl would have preferred them to Cincy, but the Hawaii bowl wasn't about to play a re-match of Cincy vs Hawaii. Their 1st meeting got ugly at the finish. What's interesting is that TCU got the Liberty nod over Cincy. They were "co-champs" of CUSA, but Cincy beat TCU so theoretically would be the conference rep in a simple tie-breaker. The Liberty Bowl is a slightly higher profile than these others, though, and I'm sure they didn't want to have to promote a conference champ with a 7-6 record.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football