PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jerry Levias & Hayden Fry to College H of F

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jerry Levias & Hayden Fry to College H of F

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:16 pm

Just announced that Jerry Levias and Hayden Fry were elected to the College Hall of Fame. Jerry played from 1966 to 1968 and was the first black scholarship athlete in the Southwest Conference. Dazzeling runner and a multiple threat. He was coached by Hayden Fry, winning the SWC in 1966 and the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1968, as I remember.

<A HREF="http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=999082" TARGET=_blank>http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=999082</A>
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jerry Levias & Hayden Fry to College H of F

Postby OldPony » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:19 pm

Jerry was the best I ever saw. Unbelievable quickness and moves with great big play ability. I remember Broyles saying that they had contained him one game. I think Jerry had only 10 catches for 150 yards. Think what he would have done if he hadn't been "contained". Congratulations to jerry and ole Hayden.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:58 am

A long overdue recognition for both men! Congrats to two of SMU's 'greats'!!!!!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby EP Pony Fan » Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:51 pm

Long overdue indeed! Congratulations to Levias and Coach Fry
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:11 am

I have never posted on this board in the past and probably never will again, but I must say I do enjoy reading all of the remarks made and the banter back and forth. I do feel, however, for those who are too young to have known and witnessed Jerry Levias and Hayden Fry, perhaps my remarks will put them into an even high plane.

I "played" football at SMU from 1968 thru 1972. I captained my Freshman team, but was injured during my redshirt year and never made it to the field. That, I will come back to. First, I barely knew Jerry Levias. I of course met him, but did not socialize or spend any kind of time with him. He was a senior and I a freshman, and at that time freshman, not being eligible for varsity play did not associate with the upper classmen. When we did speak in passing, however, you did feel you were his friend, and never could tell the turmoil that he went through during his tenure at SMU from the opposing schools. I love the Doaker. Kyle Rote was great,and not enough can be said about Dickerson, but there can be no greater football alum than Jerry Levias.

Now, Hayden Fry. Coach Fry had lost the respect of a lot of his players during his last few years at SMU. The pressures involved with the SWC took their toll on him. But even with that he was one of the most brilliant minded offensive coaches ever. But that is not why I love Hayden Fry. As I mentioned earlier, I was injured during my redshirt year. I was also on a one year scholarship which required annual renewal. When I signed the first year, Coach Fry told me no player would know I was on a one year, and he assured me I would be renewed each year without question. He said the only reason for it was due to budget restraints and I was a late signee. I trusted him. When time came for the beginning of my scholastic Junior year I was summoned to Coach Fry's office for which I figured was goodbye. He laid a contract in front of me and said only "do you want to be a 'normal student' or continue to help the team, either way you keep your scholarship." I asked why he would do that and he merely said that he promised me a full scholarship the first year and intended to keep his word. Needless to say, I stayed with the team and coached the redshirts the last two years and proudly received my degree.

Football purists may say he was wrong in not freeing up my scholarship for another, but believe me, as we all live and breath SMU and SMU athletics, there is more to life.

God Bless Hayden Fry and congratulations to he and Jerry both.

Sorry for the length, but one post in 52 years deserves to be a little wordy.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:42 am

For those who don't know: Mark Rydel was a linebacker at SMU (1972). Mark, thank you very much for your thoughts on two of SMU's greats! And please don't be a stranger to the board! I'd love to hear more about the good ol' days from someone who was there when I was in the stands at the Cotton Bowl cheering on my beloved Mustangs!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby BUS » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:16 am

Dear Mark:
I come form a long line of SMU alumni and it does my heart good to hear your story. SMU treated you right and now you have nothing but love for that institution. You are correct - It's about LIFE. MAking good choices that pay off for a lifetime. Go Mustangs!

Please post again.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:09 pm

Thanks to both Mr Mustang 1965 and BUS for your kind remarks. Posting is not a problem, time to post is sometimes. I appreciate the understanding that you both have for the tradition of SMU and I truly hope this is something we can instill in our new recruits and those to be recruited. Yes, I wish we were in a bigger conference with BCS ties, but the fact is we are a small private school with admission standards meant to put out educated young adults and not a professional athletic factory. BUT...look at the years of tradition and the professional athletes that have come from SMU. For a school our size under the restrictions we have, I feel we are 2nd to none in the area of absolutely amazing athletes. In my time on campus alone, I witnessed Jerry Levias, Chuck Hixson, Gary Hammond, Mike Richarson, Gene Phillips, Larry Delzell, Jerry Henerich (sp), Ken Fleming, Rufus Cormier, and the list goes on. And then I walked away with a degree from a great University.

I feel that Coach Bennett has the potential to bring back the team to a level of high respect while still maintaining these values. I have mixed emotions about the JUCOS and limited qualifiers. That is an argument of which I would like to steer clear. I would say, however, that high educational standards have not in any way limited the athletic capabilities of any of our athletes. To the new class of recruits I would say that they will be astounded as to what they are going to receive in return for their time spent on the field, and they need to begin right now in realizing the full impact in the decision they have made in choosing SMU and hopefully they will relay these thoughts and feelings to their friends and former teammates whom we will be recruiting in the years to come.

Once again a long post but hopefully one that begins to express my true feelings for my school and what it did,and is doing for me still today.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Return to Football