PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ruminations on our IPF

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ruminations on our IPF

Postby Mustangsabu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 pm

I get that other people are paying for it and they probably know what’s going on but there is no avoiding that the publicity surrounding the IPF has been handled in an amateur manner to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby geno » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:11 pm

gostangs wrote:
Greenwich Pony wrote:And again, my point is somehow being missed by some. If we're only checking a box- a term used by some to point out that while we are moving ahead to build this thing in the center of campus building it will not help with recruiting, as a sign of commitment, etc., then we are continuing to circle the drain with this program, and this is a waste of money and space that could be used elsewhere to better ends. If we're already building a research lab great- spend it on paying top flight professors, or god forbid, build more labs. Or spend it on a real branding campaign. I'm sure academic departments and scholarship funds could use $20-$30 million.

And frankly, nobody has explained to me how this is a good use of resources or that the board or administration has a real plan regarding athletics or academics.

And I am aware TCU is doing fine. But then again, they are in a power conference playing real opponents competitively in front of reasonably large crowds, their facilities are expanding, their endowment has surpassed ours, and they seem to be a school on the rise. Good for TCU, they have worked and earned it. We are none of those things, and with our alleged resources, that is unacceptable.

Nobody is missing your point - you are just incorrect.

By the way, we are light years ahead of TCU academically and our endowment on a per student basis is quite a bit higher. Our standardized test scores have risen to a point that is second in the state only to Rice. TCU has improved, but SMU has improved as much or more.

There is always room for improvement in any institution, and SMU certainly has untapped potential. But a claim that we don't have a plan in athletics or academics, or that this building is somehow now not worth doing, is just incorrect. In athletics as has been pointed out on this board a million times, our plan is to position ourselves to be a top candidate to make the cut in the next P-5 sweepstakes. We may or may not be successful, but this building helps position us to do so.

The next time we're driving home after an embarrassing loss and my wife (big Mustang fan) is weeping, I'll console her by telling her that academically, we are light years ahead of TCU and Baylor. That will certainly make her feel better.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:16 pm

I thought Kenneth Pye was dead? He appears to have reincarnated as Greenwich Pony
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:30 pm

geno wrote:The next time we're driving home after an embarrassing loss and my wife (big Mustang fan) is weeping, I'll console her by telling her that academically, we are light years ahead of TCU and Baylor. That will certainly make her feel better.

I agree. I get so sick of seeing this rhetoric every time we get absolutely drilled by Texas Christian or Baylor.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Greenwich Pony » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 am

No, I was around for THE Kenneth Pye (he wasn't just a Kenneth Pye); I want us to be successful in athletics. I think it's garbage that this administration has had 20 years and we still hover between 55-65 in our rankings. I admit that if we were a top 25-30 academic institution, then yes, perhaps I'd be okay with the amateur hour surrounding, well, everything that goes on the Hilltop much less the athletic department. The brutal fact is that we've been treading water academically, and have been a painful clown show with how we run athletics.

And please make no mistake, I would love to see a competitive sports program, but what we're doing with the IPF isn't doing that. It is an unplanned mess. All we're seeing is either A) a lack of will &/or resources to actually compete and take athletics seriously (thus wasting our money), or B) a gross lack of competent resource management at the executive level of the institution (thus wasting our money), or C) a stunning combination of both.

And who gives a [BLEEP] about the event center? What does that have to do with the IPF or any of our athletic programs? And if we are cutting things and moving things to bad places to save money, why do we need ANOTHER "event center" which I'm sure adds to the cost of what we're building in a tight footprint? We just built one onto Moody. Is that event center booked solid already?

Okay, how about this: we build a new soccer field maybe next to Ford on the old practice fields. Make it like our needed lacrosse field with a press box, build a reduced IPF and new practice field where we said we would, and put a real, dedicated conference center/Alumni/faculty club (we probably could use a real one and it wouldn't be out of place) on Bishop and Binkley? Then we show everyone what we plan to build, rally around the program and start actually fundraising the snot out of it. We just raised a billion dollars. We've added concourses and fountains. We can't raise funds for this project that we allegedly need so badly in the heart of the Dallas Metroplex? Please.

If you want to end those long drives home, we need to seriously commit to our program. The way the IPF has been and continues to be handled pretty much assures many, many more long drives home.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby mtrout » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 am

I expect the ipf to be a building where athletes can run 40s on turf and football can pratice. In addition it will have heating and cooling. Anything beyond this athletically will surprise me.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:39 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
geno wrote:The next time we're driving home after an embarrassing loss and my wife (big Mustang fan) is weeping, I'll console her by telling her that academically, we are light years ahead of TCU and Baylor. That will certainly make her feel better.

I agree. I get so sick of seeing this rhetoric every time we get absolutely drilled by Texas Christian or Baylor.

Don't care what your sick of. I was responding to a different poster. The fact they are better than us in football doesn't change other facts. And why is your wife is weeping about sports? Tell her to get a grip - its just a game.
gostangs

Postby PonyKai » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 am

smupony94 wrote:They made a change again. Just shows how uncommitted to football we are.

Good thing Sonny made the change happen.
PonyKai

Postby mtrout » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 am

PonyKai wrote:
smupony94 wrote:They made a change again. Just shows how uncommitted to football we are.

Good thing Sonny made the change happen.

???
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby MV pony » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Sports are what keep alumni vested and contributing to their university.
MV pony
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:No, I was around for THE Kenneth Pye (he wasn't just a Kenneth Pye); I want us to be successful in athletics. I think it's garbage that this administration has had 20 years and we still hover between 55-65 in our rankings. I admit that if we were a top 25-30 academic institution, then yes, perhaps I'd be okay with the amateur hour surrounding, well, everything that goes on the Hilltop much less the athletic department. The brutal fact is that we've been treading water academically, and have been a painful clown show with how we run athletics.

And please make no mistake, I would love to see a competitive sports program, but what we're doing with the IPF isn't doing that. It is an unplanned mess. All we're seeing is either A) a lack of will &/or resources to actually compete and take athletics seriously (thus wasting our money), or B) a gross lack of competent resource management at the executive level of the institution (thus wasting our money), or C) a stunning combination of both.

And who gives a [BLEEP] about the event center? What does that have to do with the IPF or any of our athletic programs? And if we are cutting things and moving things to bad places to save money, why do we need ANOTHER "event center" which I'm sure adds to the cost of what we're building in a tight footprint? We just built one onto Moody. Is that event center booked solid already?

Okay, how about this: we build a new soccer field maybe next to Ford on the old practice fields. Make it like our needed lacrosse field with a press box, build a reduced IPF and new practice field where we said we would, and put a real, dedicated conference center/Alumni/faculty club (we probably could use a real one and it wouldn't be out of place) on Bishop and Binkley? Then we show everyone what we plan to build, rally around the program and start actually fundraising the snot out of it. We just raised a billion dollars. We've added concourses and fountains. We can't raise funds for this project that we allegedly need so badly in the heart of the Dallas Metroplex? Please.

If you want to end those long drives home, we need to seriously commit to our program. The way the IPF has been and continues to be handled pretty much assures many, many more long drives home.

Don’t disagree w/r/t treading water academically.

But as for the IPF, once it is completed we will have probably the nicest indoor facility in the AAC, and one that is on par with or nicer than TCU and Tech, as well as many other P5 programs. Thanks to our deep pocketed boosters for once again stepping up and making things happen.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Cheesesteak » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Gloomwich Pony and mPout, thankfully you are not decision-makers about the IPC.

Consider these POSITIVE possibilities:

SMU will build an IPC with an event center (EC) because an EC can be a major asset if used when attracting / hosting / entertaining HS coaches, student-athletes and their parents. Coaching clinics (gets HS coaches and media on campus) and a variety of large-scale indoor events (needing a big area of floor space) could happen in the IPC / EC one block from Ford Stadium, Loyd ASC, Westcott Field, etc.

Another POSITIVE possibility is that the EC could have bathrooms, etc. available to people enjoying The Boulevard on game days. SMU could entertain donors, media, distinguished alumni, etc. in the EC right next to The Boulevard.

SMU could use the IPC / EC for events that benefit the entire campus community. It will, like all SMU construction, be very good.

Sonny was at Cal when they were doing major $$$ athletics facilities upgrades. I'm glad that SMU is getting his input.

Please stop thinking of a IPC as only for indoor football practices.

Pettus Practice Field is for outdoor football practices in addition to using Ford Stadium.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Julian Grendel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:25 pm

BoT's meeting this week, I would expect we will hear more about the IPC after, and leading up to the 'official' ground breaking at the spring game
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:36 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
Greenwich Pony wrote:No, I was around for THE Kenneth Pye (he wasn't just a Kenneth Pye); I want us to be successful in athletics. I think it's garbage that this administration has had 20 years and we still hover between 55-65 in our rankings. I admit that if we were a top 25-30 academic institution, then yes, perhaps I'd be okay with the amateur hour surrounding, well, everything that goes on the Hilltop much less the athletic department. The brutal fact is that we've been treading water academically, and have been a painful clown show with how we run athletics.

Don’t disagree w/r/t treading water academically.

But as for the IPF, once it is completed we will have probably the nicest indoor facility in the AAC, and one that is on par with or nicer than TCU and Tech, as well as many other P5 programs. Thanks to our deep pocketed boosters for once again stepping up and making things happen.

Agree with ECM - Greenwich you are mixing up two issues, and just because you seem determined to keep posting the same thing a million times doesn't make it correct.

The IPF was too expensive in its former location. You don't seem to grasp that. We don't need to spend 50M on what everyone else does for 25. You don't want us to waste money, but you want us to spend 50 on what should cost 25? You make no sense.

Now it is going to be 28M. That's about right. Its not in a poor location - Its going right where there was previously an athletic building - so no change there. It is not haphazard or unplanned. Sometimes pricing comes in, you regroup and you adjust the plan.

And the painful clown show athletic department you refer to is actually what all schools that ARENT IN THE P-5 have to do to stay somewhat relevant with 35M less per year to work with than the P-5 schools.

The academic question is completely different - and if you are concerned about how we do things you should be applauding the IPF move since it will now not waste 25M, and will free up capital for other things - like scholarships. That is what will move us up in rankings - and where we should be spending our time and money. Hope this IPF building and the new research building are the last ones for a while and we can concentrate on building the endowment through money for scholarships - but that is a different topic.
gostangs

Postby Greenwich Pony » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:07 am

Thank you for your cogent response. I do get that they are two separate issues, but the nexus is that way we've performed with the IPF is indicative of the greater problems with the other.

I'm not sure why one site would cost twice what the other site costs. Even if that's true, my concern is mostly the haphazard manner which we seem to do everything. This is just a glaring example lack of foresight, planning and execution.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football