PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Quick thoughts versus SFA

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Quick thoughts versus SFA

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:22 am

SFA wasn't very good, as expected, so take these with a little grain of salt. They came in trying to run clock and prevent big plays from the start.

Offense:
- Speed is all relative, and SFA were slow. But Bentley in person is "wow" fast. Great moves, but his acceleration is breathtaking.
- McDaniel reminds me of watching Prescott Line after watching Zach, where Prescott didn't allow the blocking to develop and would just run into the line as quickly as possible. I'm sure it will come with some more experience, but he commits his running path too early and it allows the defense to swarm to the ball. Lavine has a better feel for running than McDaniel does right now.
- It was nice to see Tamerik have a positive game experience. The past two years at practice, I have seen him make some really explosive plays. He has a great combo of size and speed, and another weapon back there would be awesome.
- Need to figure out a plan against the blitz up the middle. Texas State caused us problems with it, and so did SFA. WR and RB screens in the flat are an answer to keep Buchele from getting killed.
- Never have I ever seen this much depth at the skill positions.
- It was incredible to watch the second string OL come in and dominate the line of scrimmage. The most we could hope for in the past 25 years was that the backup QB wouldn't get slaughtered. That was amazing.
- Shane is still a little bit off. Not as sharp as he opened the season last year. And then I go look at the stats, and he is completing 70% of his passes, 5 TDs, 2 picks, and a 170 rating. But something was off tonight. SFA wasn't good enough to take advantage.

Defense:
- We ran a lot more 4 man front tonight, and it was much more effective. The 4 man front was able to both stuff the run and get pressure on the QB, resulting in sacks and a lot of pressures. When they didn't get to the QB, Denbow and McBryde got exposed a little bit in coverage.
- Massey is going to be good.
- The nickel look with the down 4, Crossley, Stevens, and Johnson, with Delano and Hailey is really nice.
- I thought the safeties played really, really well. They came in and made a lot of plays against the run. 13 is playing a lot better than in the opener. But the one that stands out to me is 21. I think he is going to be pretty good. That is a group that is going to be very good over the next couple of years.
- All of that said, the linebackers don't make enough plays, still, in the running game. Delano is the most consistent one out there. But the safeties are making plays in the run game because the LBs aren't making them. Our Linebackers should be racking up tackles in 3-4 formations, as well as the 4-3. But the linemen and the safeties are outtackling the LBs. McBryde played a lot and had 3 tackles. Hailey 2. Denbow 1, Holloway 1. Lots of running plays, and a lot of game time for those guys, and just not a lot of plays made. That is a cause for concern, because against teams like Memphis, your safeties can't cheat into the box. Memphis will take advantage of deep gaps and stretch the field if we cheat against the run. Something to watch next week.

This is a very good team, but we are going to need better production from LB, Shane to sharpen up, and find an answer to the blitz up the middle if we are going to beat Memphis next week.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Quick thoughts versus SFA

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:12 am

Bentley is as special of a player that we have had in forever. Enjoy every game that guy suits up moving forward. He is a star, and it would be nice if we decided to start him.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:46 am

I couldn't watch or even listen to the game today. Is it true the bench got a 15 yard penalty for popping bottles? Also, how cute are the new Dallas D cheer uniforms?
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby malonish » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:30 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:I couldn't watch or even listen to the game today. Is it true the bench got a 15 yard penalty for popping bottles? Also, how cute are the new Dallas D cheer uniforms?

After the INT, too many people from the sideline got into the field of play from what I could tell on TV. The flag was out before the bottle popped.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:34 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:I couldn't watch or even listen to the game today. Is it true the bench got a 15 yard penalty for popping bottles? Also, how cute are the new Dallas D cheer uniforms?
Not for popping bottles...after the interception and before the popped bottles, the entire secondary ran to the end zone to celebrate the pick, posing for a "pick pic"
RGV Pony

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:24 am

I believe someone's family was in the corner. I saw a couple that could have been someone's parents that got really excited.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PNW_Stang » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:05 am

I know it was against a scrub d in trash time, but Tamerick looked impressive.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Not SFA-specific, but Texas State just about won at BC (who has been receiving votes in the AP poll). They may be better than I've given them credit for. I also wanted to see what UNT could do against the Cougars, but alas.

I'm feeling good about this team. Not really worried about Shane, though I can't really say why. I guarantee he'll be back to form against Memphis. Maybe he plays up or down according to the competition.

Yes on the depth. I really can't say when the last time was we had it.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:54 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
Not for popping bottles...after the interception and before the popped bottles, the entire secondary ran to the end zone to celebrate the pick, posing for a "pick pic"

Crossley ran out of bounds after the pick, then I think his family was in the endzone. The problem was that he ran back on the field and down the sidelines, and when he did that, the bench followed him onto the field. That drew the penalty.
JasonB

Return to Football