PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rule Question

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rule Question

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 am

I thought there was some rule where a two offensive players could not consecutively touch the ball. Seems like I remember that rule being added after the fumble-roosky play in the Colorado/Nebraska game. Does it have to be lateral or backward?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Rule Question

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:55 pm

That was an old pro rule I recall, not sure it ever applied to college.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:35 pm

NCAA has no rule that governs the final play of LaTEch and SMU...it has always been legal for two offensive players to simultaneously or in sequence touch the ball on a reception. Touchdown SMU last Saturday, and 30 years ago.

I'll give you one that was a stumper this past Friday...

Snap to the punter was muffed by punter, and he is unable to grab the ball in time, so he kicks the ball as it lies on the ground. It passes the LOS and goes an additional 15 yards downfield.

UIL rules, Texas HS football. What say you all?
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm

It sounds illegal. So it must be legal.
ponyboy

Postby peruna81 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:00 am

ruled legal as a"scrimmage kick". Then a call back 2 hours later as a drop kick.

Official on the field ruled a legal punt

As a drop kick, should have bee returned to OLOS.

As a "scrimmage kick", should have been ruled down by movement of the ball, not returned.

UIL to send "apology note" and "train officials"

EastStang has been around the block for a while in football, and two of the officials Friday's game were 50+ years old and didn't make the correct call. It tells me that:

1 People make mistakes...and,
2 Rules are remembered, but not always correctly applied to a particular situation. Glad we didn't get a "so sorry" letter from those fine folks with the NCAA about last Saturday
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:06 am

I'm glad we game planned for the correct rule and didn't get a misapplied flag. Didn't Morestad actually make a drop kick in a game at SMU? Or did he simply threaten to try one.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:02 am

EastStang wrote:I thought there was some rule where a two offensive players could not consecutively touch the ball. Seems like I remember that rule being added after the fumble-roosky play in the Colorado/Nebraska game. Does it have to be lateral or backward?
Wouldn’t that negate every offensive play ever run?

It used to be a pro rule regarding receivers but the disputing over the immaculate reception by Franco Harris caused a rule change to where it no longer mattered. If my mind recalls correctly there was also a disputed two offensive touch pass in the Super Bowl when Dallas lost to Baltimore. It was a bad rule and there are many times now both pro and college where a pass hits one receiver and another catches it.

The Kenny Stabler forward fumble for a TD caused a rule change as far as forward fumbles being advanced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:15 am

Mel Renfro could jump, be even he stated "not that high"
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:34 pm

EastStang wrote:I thought there was some rule where a two offensive players could not consecutively touch the ball. Seems like I remember that rule being added after the fumble-roosky play in the Colorado/Nebraska game. Does it have to be lateral or backward?

You may be thinking of a rule that existed in the NFL many years ago. Some of us remember it being brought up in Superbowl V between the Cowboys and Colts. The Colts completed a pass from Johnny Unitas that bounced off one receiver and was caught by John Mackey who went 75 yards for a TD.Cowboys complained that it should have not been allowed. However, a replay showed that DB Mel Renfro had tipped the ball between the Colt players. So the TD was good. The final score was 16-13 Colts. The rule was later changed by the NFL so consecutive touches are now legal.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Return to Football