PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Aresco Says AAC Will Expand

Postby 35straight » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:39 pm

That’s absolute hot garbage.
35straight
Heisman

Postby SMUstang07 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 pm

Zero chance I’m taking the PJ out to games against UTSA or Charlotte. Zero
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:49 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:Zero chance I’m taking the PJ out to games against UTSA or Charlotte. Zero

Granted I'm unusual because I will support the Mustangs regardless of who we play but I will absolutely attend our 1st game in Charlotte. I expect UNT and UTSA to bring as many to Ford as any of our current AAC division opponents do.

Looks to me like Aresco is just playing the hand he's been dealt. All these programs are in metro areas and have potential to improve. SMU needs to continue to improve as well in order to have any hope of moving up to a higher level of competition but let's not kid ourselves about being head and shoulders above these potential invitees.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:58 pm

Should combine this with the stadium upgrades thread. We could demolish 10,000 seats and add extra concessions, more bathrooms and a parking lot. A win win!
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby MV pony » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:06 pm

With these additions, SMU could knock out 15,000 stadium seats and put in a movie theatre and bowling alley.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Pony64 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:10 pm

redpony wrote:
Comet wrote:https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1450235477022449665?s=20

“ Sources: The American Athletic Conference is expected examine expansion this week, with six schools expected to send applications. The AAC is expected to receive an application from – FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week.

Do we really want to settle for garbage schools like denton community college? this is exactly what happens when no future planning was done. If they admit those schools then SMU should drop out and go independent. IMO Aresco has crapped his pants and needs to get out after getting shut down by AFA, BSU and others and then considering schools that could significantly lower the quality of our conference.

This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard regarding expansion. We already look so stupid that we couldn't land any good candidates from the Mountain. Now we are left to go after UNT. What a terrible idea.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 pm

One of the guiding philosophies of the AAC’s expansion was to grow through fertile recruiting areas. The AAC expansion committee included a prominent crew of athletic directors from the conference – USF’s Mike Kelly, Memphis’ Laird Veatch, SMU’s Rick Hart and Navy’s Chet Gladchuk.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-the-aa ... 15069.html

What a joke.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby MV pony » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:23 pm

On the plus side, the only plus, they didn't add Liberty.
MV pony
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:26 pm

I’d have picked UTEP over UNT. App. State over Charlotte.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 pm

I can only imagine that Memphis is as concerned as we are about adding these six schools. The Tigers are a BB school and these additions won't move the needle for them.

Although Fort Lauderdale, Charlotte, Birmingham, San Antonio and Houston are large, good media and recruiting markets, they won't excite ESPN for years until these schools perform at the level of our losses (Cincinnati, UCF and Houston).

While USTA, Rice and UNT will bring some fans to Dallas, we need P5 programs to fill Ford. Just win for two years and perhaps Memphis and Mustangs will be called up by someone, e.g. ACC.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:53 pm

WanderingEagle wrote:I think UNT is a really valuable addition. They are about to hire a coach who will take them over the top. How long can we expect our success to sustain? Face it, UNT is about to own us. We might as well let them do it in our conference so we can run the score up on Abilene Christian and take wins where we can get them.

Good lord community college student, get out.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 pm

“ Sources: The American Athletic Conference is expected examine expansion this week, with six schools expected to send applications. The AAC is expected to receive an application from – FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week. 1/2”

Yeah I hope SMU has some plans we don’t know about…

Aresco needs to be fired immediately if this were to go through. I'm just hoping that either a) SMU has plans or b) this is to make those select MWC schools see they might be missing an opportunity.

If this goes through, just go ahead and pack up the stadium. RGT and Hart should be added to the bread line if they think this is a good thing.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:57 pm

MV pony wrote:On the plus side, the only plus, they didn't add Liberty.

I would take Liberty any day of the week then the trash schools they're suggesting here.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby birddogger » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

“ Sources: The American Athletic Conference is expected examine expansion this week, with six schools expected to send applications. The AAC is expected to receive an application from – FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week. 1/2”

Yeah I hope SMU has some plans we don’t know about…

Aresco needs to be fired immediately if this were to go through. I'm just hoping that either a) SMU has plans or b) this is to make those select MWC schools see they might be missing an opportunity.

If this goes through, just go ahead and pack up the stadium. RGT and Hart should be added to the bread line if they think this is a good thing.

This may be a long play to grab AFA and CSU. MWC is now shut out of Texas, which cripples its hopes for central time zone airtime.

There are rumors that the new guys won’t be paid as much as current members SMU, et al, which will keep their $7 million annual. AFA and CSU might be enticed with a like $7 million payout. Or they can stand pat in the MWC and watch their conference get boxed in. A carrot and stick approach.

So theoretically we add 3 Texas conference opponents, CSU and AFA, and keep Tulsa and Navy in a new AAC West. I like adding Rice. Not so keen on the other 2 Tx schools. But the plan makes sense if the AAC is trying to keep the MWC at bay
birddogger
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:39 pm

I just don't see the logic behind adding UNT. There's zero benefit to it. Rice is only for the market and UTSA is an up and comer. MWC could care less about UNT. I could see them wanting UTSA and maybe UTEP but this is Aresco firing a shotgun into trying to get every major media market peft to drive up ratings (except UNT which again don't understand).

All so disappointing and just praying SMU is getting an offer anywhere in the P5.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football