PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny to leave for Tech?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny to leave for Tech?

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:39 pm

His wife has said she doesn't want to be here? Woah

Agree with you and given all the decisions Hart and company have done in the past (e.g. Moody Reseat), it seems that we will lose him. Part of me wonders if we either have a shrinkage at CoC or less are willing to commit to raising the stakes. Instead of focusing on increasing the endowment, we should be getting recurring wealthy alums to donate to multiple initiatives namely sports. It would be nice if we could pay Sonny $3MM + incentives and defy a P5 program from taking him.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTales » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:07 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:"Dykes is expected to get the Tech job."

"Garrett Riley could be SMU's coach"

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/ ... 566352002/

This seems to read way too much of "look at the Riley dynasty" but after Traylor looking to stay, this does feel more real.

If Riley however becomes head coach, I'll definitely consider dropping my season tickets and just say that admin really will do everything possible to screw this program over. Riley is in no way qualified to be a HC and his play calling has always been called into question. I rather give it to Leavitt over Riley but honestly would rather look for a better option in the market.

This article is the equivalent of throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing if it will stick. Saying "he is expected to get the job" without specifying WHO expects him to get it is meaningless. Is the author personally expecting it? The person working a drive-through window? Maybe an Amazon delivery driver? The Oklahoman never should have printed this.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:54 am

PNW_Stang wrote:I’ve been saying for a few years that I do think we can keep Sonny long term, but SMU will have to be proactive, aggressive, and willing to spend the money to hold onto him.

Pay him what he needs to stay. Commit to the projects he wants committed to. Ensure we are doing everything to get into a better conference. UH was paying Holgerson $4 mil a year before they knew they were going to the big 12.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't put butts in seats which might be the main reason SMU remains in the G5. It caused JJ to quit on SMU and if Sonny leaves, I'm going to assume that was the main reason for his "giving up" on SMU as well. If he leaves, we can only hope the next coach will be as successful in recruiting and can maintain a Top 25 caliber program...but first let's hope this team can prove it REALLY is a Top 25 program by beating Houston Saturday.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:03 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:His wife has said she doesn't want to be here? Woah

I know you look for the cloud beyond every silver lining, but no, the poster reported that she said the exact opposite.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:25 am

I hear Chad Morris might be available.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:29 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Instead of focusing on increasing the endowment, we should be getting recurring wealthy alums to donate to multiple initiatives namely sports. It would be nice if we could pay Sonny $3MM + incentives and defy a P5 program from taking him.

We should have publicly earmarked $250M of the new fundraising campaign for football. It's much more important than any of the other stuff.

Additionally, it was such a waste of money to change to our new horrible font we could have spent that money on football too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:17 am

Dukie wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:His wife has said she doesn't want to be here? Woah

I know you look for the cloud beyond every silver lining, but no, the poster reported that she said the exact opposite.

Dukie - my bad I just misread it. I thought when I read it sounded like Sonny was in but not anymore and his wife never was. Whoops! Glad to hear she's pro-SMU.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:37 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Additionally, it was such a waste of money to change to our new horrible font we could have spent that money on football too.

Good, I’m not the only one who is left scratching their head around the new logo. I think it is terrible and should have been left alone.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby GoStangs11 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:04 am

I completely disagree with any notion that Sonny has taken the program as far as he can. He hasn't even made it to a conference title game and has not won a bowl game (embarrassed twice in a row in fact). Yes, the AP/coaches rankings are an improvement for SMU, but let's not kid ourselves that it is a true mark for progress - any D1 team can get ranked by going 5-0 or 6-0 with easy conf/ out of conf wins. It almost feels like placating sometimes (Is UTSA REALLY the 23rd best team in the nation, are we really 19th?).

SMU job is incredibly low risk and high reward for him. Tech is very high risk high reward but as a low-tier P5, the "family legacy" argument falls apart with that risk because he could easily not live up to expectations and could get axed in 2-3 seasons.

Others who stated that this comes down to SMU side are correct. Money and resources to continue his upward trajectory are critical. You gotta believe he wants to leave a real mark at SMU before bailing.
GoStangs11
Scout Team

Postby deucetz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:20 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Instead of focusing on increasing the endowment, we should be getting recurring wealthy alums to donate to multiple initiatives namely sports. It would be nice if we could pay Sonny $3MM + incentives and defy a P5 program from taking him.

We should have publicly earmarked $250M of the new fundraising campaign for football. It's much more important than any of the other stuff.

Additionally, it was such a waste of money to change to our new horrible font we could have spent that money on football too.

Lol, I understand this is Football Forum but academics is more important and should be a priority for a university. I don’t think that spending on academics/endowment and football/basketball are mutually exclusive.
deucetz
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:24 am

GoStangs11 wrote:I completely disagree with any notion that Sonny has taken the program as far as he can. He hasn't even made it to a conference title game and has not won a bowl game (embarrassed twice in a row in fact). Yes, the AP/coaches rankings are an improvement for SMU, but let's not kid ourselves that it is a true mark for progress - any D1 team can get ranked by going 5-0 or 6-0 with easy conf/ out of conf wins. It almost feels like placating sometimes (Is UTSA REALLY the 23rd best team in the nation, are we really 19th?).

SMU job is incredibly low risk and high reward for him. Tech is very high risk high reward but as a low-tier P5, the "family legacy" argument falls apart with that risk because he could easily not live up to expectations and could get axed in 2-3 seasons.

Others who stated that this comes down to SMU side are correct. Money and resources to continue his upward trajectory are critical. You gotta believe he wants to leave a real mark at SMU before bailing.

If we are going to be fair, he was only embarrassed in one bowl game. Chad and company left as fast as they could and Sonny came in without having a chance to set up his staff knew he just had to let Col Custer Hicks go into that battle alone.

Sonny has beaten TCU twice at their place, consistent Top 25, handled two coordinator departures to bigger programs, and kept recruiting at a all time high.

His only blunder was losing to NTCC but I'll take everything above for that one blunder.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby indianmustang » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:31 am

Who knows maybe Randall Joyner getting more experience is good and when smu has more money we can get him back
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby GoStangs11 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:32 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
GoStangs11 wrote:I completely disagree with any notion that Sonny has taken the program as far as he can. He hasn't even made it to a conference title game and has not won a bowl game (embarrassed twice in a row in fact). Yes, the AP/coaches rankings are an improvement for SMU, but let's not kid ourselves that it is a true mark for progress - any D1 team can get ranked by going 5-0 or 6-0 with easy conf/ out of conf wins. It almost feels like placating sometimes (Is UTSA REALLY the 23rd best team in the nation, are we really 19th?).

If we are going to be fair, he was only embarrassed in one bowl game. Chad and company left as fast as they could and Sonny came in without having a chance to set up his staff knew he just had to let Col Custer Hicks go into that battle alone.

Sonny has beaten TCU twice at their place, consistent Top 25, handled two coordinator departures to bigger programs, and kept recruiting at a all time high.

His only blunder was losing to NTCC but I'll take everything above for that one blunder.

I get your point about Frisco Bowl game, but he was still the coach. You ignored my point about not even making it to a conf title game and no bowl wins.

Of course I will "take" everything he has done so far, but if he leaves now, what will he be remembered for? Just beating TCU? Recruiting? Phil Bennett and JJ beat them too. Honestly the JJ legacy would be stronger on paper between bowl wins, NFL players, etc.
GoStangs11
Scout Team

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:40 am

I didn't mean to ignore them and they're valid though not comparable to JJ and PB and CMs time here. He was dealing with numerous ranked AAC teams (Cincy, Memphis and Navy). Now Chad fix get a win against ranked Houston so credit there.

However, this my opinion and bias, I'm not going to remember pointless bowl games. I'll give the first Hawaii bowl because that was the first time SMU got mentioned in forever as slightly coming back but other than that no bowl games we've been in have mattered that much from a publicity standpoint. Beating TCU especially this year led to back to back week comments, thanks really to Fatterson, on the rivalry.

To be fair the CCG is a good point and hopefully, and I think he will, SMU beats Houston and gets their meaningful win since TCU and keeps the dream going.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GoStangs11 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:54 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:I didn't mean to ignore them and they're valid though not comparable to JJ and PB and CMs time here. He was dealing with numerous ranked AAC teams (Cincy, Memphis and Navy). Now Chad fix get a win against ranked Houston so credit there.

However, this my opinion and bias, I'm not going to remember pointless bowl games. I'll give the first Hawaii bowl because that was the first time SMU got mentioned in forever as slightly coming back but other than that no bowl games we've been in have mattered that much from a publicity standpoint. Beating TCU especially this year led to back to back week comments, thanks really to Fatterson, on the rivalry.

To be fair the CCG is a good point and hopefully, and I think he will, SMU beats Houston and gets their meaningful win since TCU and keeps the dream going.

Bowl games are important though. I never thought I would find myself defending JJ after he completely phoned it in, but we can't deny he took us from 1-11 to first post-DP bowl eligibility in 2 seasons. Four straight bowl games with 3 wins including a win over P5 Pitt. Incredible NFL roster by SMU standards with guys he actually recruited. Xfer portal is important and major kudos to Sonny for working it but we have yet to see the full picture of his high school recruiting.

Most of what I am saying is just projection in the hopes that he will stay and build a lasting legacy.
GoStangs11
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football