PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lashlee new HC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Lashlee new HC

Postby Big Hoss » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:34 am

dr rc wrote:I would have gone with Deion purely b/c of the attention he would have brought the program. He's not doing too shabby w/the actual Xs and Os either.

Thank the good Lord we didn't.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 3rdGenPony » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:21 am

I think this hire would be the best continuity we could hope for and need. SD is being myopic in my opinion, and if he thinks he can go to TCU and put "Fort Worth" on the jersey and have the same effect, good luck.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby MDJenkins » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:33 am

Was Lashlee really a success with a 6-5 record at Miami. Are we striving for mediocrity as usual?
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby big foot » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:48 am

Lashlee was the offensive coordinator, not the head coach, what does Miami's record have to do with anything. They should finish 7-5 after tomorrows game with Duke. I still think we should have hired the entire Miami staff - including head coach Diaz. Online ranking of the top OC's has Lashlee at 13 in the country and Diaz as 7th best DC even though he is the head coach - he still calls all of the defensive signals! Getting Lashlee locked up as head coach before other college coaches get fired on Sunday/Monday is a good move.
big foot
Scout Team

Postby smubrooks » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:55 am

I like this hire. Honestly I think he will be better than Sonny. Just really sucks to lose Samples, Kaz, and the top recruits. And I have no problem watching Riley run the tcu offense!
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:00 am

not happy with this choice but it is typical lil rickey- mediocre. I was hoping for a big name highly experienced coach.
Lashlee needs to better our w-l record without the nov. swoon.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TidePony » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:43 am

I’m thrilled with our new Head Coach Rhett Lashlee. He is young, dynamic, smart, has integrity, and isn’t a liar. (I’m tired of con artists and liars)
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby HubbaHubba » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:49 am

redpony wrote:not happy with this choice but it is typical lil rickey- mediocre. I was hoping for a big name highly experienced coach.
Lashlee needs to better our w-l record without the nov. swoon.

We must hope, that come next November, RL is not assembling his new(er) coaching staff and recruiting for a different school instead of preparing SMU for their next opponent.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:08 am

TidePony wrote:I’m thrilled with our new Head Coach Rhett Lashlee. He is young, dynamic, smart, has integrity, and isn’t a liar. (I’m tired of con artists and liars)

If Lashlee has success here and leaves in few years for another school you might be saying the same thing about him. SMU missed the opportunity and allowed Houston to have positioned itself better to get into the Big 12. Hopefully, the door has not closed on another P5 conference but unfortunately it may have.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby shadowman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:26 pm

Hoofprint wrote:
First question: what's the name of the Monday show now?

Are you Rhett-y For Some Football
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:29 pm

MDJenkins wrote:Was Lashlee really a success with a 6-5 record at Miami. Are we striving for mediocrity as usual?

He was fantastic as OC at Auburn, including a national championship, here in 2019 -- a 10 win season -- and the two years at Miami, where his offenses were very solid, ranked nationally.
ponyboy

Postby MDJenkins » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 pm

It’s great that Lashlee is a good guy. We all were saying the same thing about Dykes until he left
for greener pastures and more $s. Lashlee is a safe and mediocre hire. SMU is never a final destination for any coach so we shouldn’t be crying in our beer when the coaching carousel continues every three years or so.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Word is that Graham Harrell is going to be OC at TCU.

Miami lost their starting QB, D’Eriq King, earlier this year and played hurt for a while.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:29 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
TidePony wrote:I’m thrilled with our new Head Coach Rhett Lashlee. He is young, dynamic, smart, has integrity, and isn’t a liar. (I’m tired of con artists and liars)

If Lashlee has success here and leaves in few years for another school you might be saying the same thing about him. SMU missed the opportunity and allowed Houston to have positioned itself better to get into the Big 12. Hopefully, the door has not closed on another P5 conference but unfortunately it may have.

You can bank on it. First - maybe a year or two in- we’ll get the grumbling minority, early hate adopters who complain even when he’s strongly succeeding. They just like complaining, but remain in the minority and mostly get shouted down. But when it looks like the coach might be looking at opportunities to move up, you’ll see a dramatic flip with the second tier of folks who will then fervently look for any little thing to hang their hats on, any reason that confirms their need to believe that this guy was horrible from the very start. And then the third wave comes when it’s clear he’s leaving, at which point you’ll get the full-on hate mob with flaming pitchforks and all.

It’s just human nature, I suppose. A defense mechanism.

Beat Tulsa.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:45 pm

It will be very interesting who is on his staff. I hope he goes first class and doesn't hire a bunch nobodies. we need to hit next season winning and continue through the entire season.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football