PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU Rivalry

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU Rivalry

Postby slawton011963 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:18 am

Though I'm a lifelong Mustang fan and a mid 80s grad...as well as a long-time reader of Ponyfans....this is my first post here and one which, I suspect, will be unpopular! I felt after we beat TCU this year and had accusations of an assault on a coach with a helmet...one that was met with "lukewarm" denial, at best, by TCUs athletic director....that perhaps we should reconsider continuing this annual game with TCU. That BS from TCU crossed a line, in my opinion.

And now the fiasco continues. I understand them wanting Dykes, and if he wants to go, well good riddance. But to leak this the week of the final game again crosses a line. My issue with TCU is that they simply don't have any respect for SMU. Call me naive, but two universities with a long tradition between them with many similarities should have a heated rivalry....but they should also have respect for one another. Bottom line is TCU appears to have no such respect.

This latest move by them reaffirms my opinion on this rivalry. TCU is simply not worth it. The game at their place had decent attendance and they bring some fans over here, but so would most other P5 schools. Imagine replacing TCU with UT, for example.....think Ford would be packed for that one? Look at UTs non conference schedule each year and you will see we would be an upgrade for them as well. Thats just one example.....my point is TCU isn't worth it anymore.
slawton011963

Re: TCU Rivalry

Postby Oldmins » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:57 am

seriously, now, do you really think UT would come here for a football game? Seriously? To play us?
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:03 pm

In my mind, the rivalry just went up a few extra notches. If you can't get up for next year's game here at home, you might as well hang up your cleats. It's gonna have a little extra sauce to it, and that includes last year's flag planting by Rice. This is a fantastic rivalry. I've never hated a team more than I hate TCU right now. Cancelling the series would be tantamount to running away and hiding. Bring 'em on.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:16 pm

ponyboy wrote:In my mind, the rivalry just went up a few extra notches. If you can't get up for next year's game here at home, you might as well hang up your cleats. It's gonna have a little extra sauce to it, and that includes last year's flag planting by Rice. This is a fantastic rivalry. I've never hated a team more than I hate TCU right now. Cancelling the series would be tantamount to running away and hiding. Bring 'em on.

Welcome aboard, slawton!
I think ponyboy hit it on the screws.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:54 pm

I agree with ponyboy. I've never hated a team more than I do TCU right now and it's not even close. I'll stop there but I do not wish them well in any respect.
mustangxc

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:24 pm

Oldmins wrote:seriously, now, do you really think UT would come here for a football game? Seriously? To play us?

Never. Ever. Ever.
Bergermeister

Postby angryfan04 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:21 pm

If it were a real rivalry, SMU would have not let Sonny coach today. It is as if just went to to for some other team and not your “rival”.
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:02 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
Oldmins wrote:seriously, now, do you really think UT would come here for a football game? Seriously? To play us?

Never. Ever. Ever.

And don't hold your breath hoping they might invite SMU to play in Austin, either. The only way SMU plays Texas in football again in my lifetime would be if we are matched in a bowl game some day but who knows whether the SEC will ever be matched against an AAC opponent in a bowl game?
Charleston Pony

Postby PNW_Stang » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:13 pm

If it was a real rival, SMU wouldn’t have sent people to collect signs that were trolling Sonny from the students.

Or maybe it is a real rival, and it’s just Hart and Turner that don’t get it.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:30 pm

Hart waled next to SOnny down the BLVD. He clearly doesn't get it.
JasonB

Postby Arkpony » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:30 am

Walked next to Sonny!! Wow! How humiliating is that! Fire Clueless Hart!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Big Hoss » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:44 am

I think Hart and Turner just don’t have the attitude that SMU has something to offer. Be it money, or location, or whatever else you want to throw in there, they act like any coach willing to come here is doing us some sort of charitable favor. Like they are willing to put their own life in hold to help our poor old SMU for a bit. Whatever it is, it’s exhausting.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Big Hoss » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:49 am

Oh, and the toads absolutely suck. I want to play them every year even if we only seem to beat them once out of five because any time they lose to us, it irritates the absolute crap out of them. Hate those b@st@rds with the intensity of a thousand suns.
Big Hoss
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:12 am

Arkpony wrote:Walked next to Sonny!! Wow! How humiliating is that! Fire Clueless Hart!!

Why are we always blaming Hart and Turner for the misfortunes of our football team? They weren't on the field when Cincinnati beat our brains in on national tv. They didn't take 17 penalties for 125 yards vs Tulsa. They're not responsible for allowing Houston to beat us on a 103-yard kickoff return. And don't even get me started on how we allowed Memphis to jump to a 28-10 lead. I don't blame the administrators for that.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:01 am

Donnell88 wrote:
Arkpony wrote:Walked next to Sonny!! Wow! How humiliating is that! Fire Clueless Hart!!

Why are we always blaming Hart and Turner for the misfortunes of our football team? They weren't on the field when Cincinnati beat our brains in on national tv. They didn't take 17 penalties for 125 yards vs Tulsa. They're not responsible for allowing Houston to beat us on a 103-yard kickoff return. And don't even get me started on how we allowed Memphis to jump to a 28-10 lead. I don't blame the administrators for that.

If you have to ask, you really don't follow the program that closely.
ALEX LIFESON

Next

Return to Football