PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

U of Hawaii officials upset with June Jones

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

U of Hawaii officials upset with June Jones

Postby Donnell88 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:57 pm

Jones turns down head coaching position.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/22/scho ... awaii-job/
Donnell88
All-American

Re: U of Hawaii officials upset with June Jones

Postby Dukie » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:47 pm

Hawaii was being rational and wanting a head-coach-in-waiting approach. But they were shockingly naive about the ego of the individual to whom they were proposing that structure.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:56 pm

Lol they're mad at the guy they were going to hire because they didn't like his terms while also complaining about his work there in the mid-2000s? That makes sense. About as much sense as hiring your coach in waiting (who has very little experience; career wide receivers coach) immediately.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:23 pm

mtrout wrote:Lol they're mad at the guy they were going to hire because they didn't like his terms while also complaining about his work there in the mid-2000s? That makes sense. About as much sense as hiring your coach in waiting (who has very little experience; career wide receivers coach) immediately.

Yeah that Meisenzahl dude is completely unhinged and off-message.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:51 pm

certain indiscretions are never forgotten
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:certain indiscretions are never forgotten

like getting Hawaii to #10 in the nation?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Mexmustang » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 am

Don't know a head coach or corporate executive that would take a job without having the ability to hire or fire his own direct reports. Hawaii offered the job but told him he couldn't hire his own assistants.
It's all about money, the University didn't want to pay both severance and the salaries of the new assistants. Some schools have tried this before, but they rarely get their man. Fresno State offered Mason this about six years ago, and as much as he wanted to be a head coach, turned it down.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:31 am

June Jones has made many mistakes throughout his career and I disagree with his political views and his thoughts regarding the pandemic. However, in this case I agree with him. You can't give a HC a 2 year contract and dictate how he do things expecting success. It's a shame because Jones and Hawaii are a great fit.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:09 pm

Agreed.
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:09 pm

and I agree as well. I suspect they will be looking for a new coach in two years if they made chen agree to the same terms.
redpony

Postby Roach » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:48 pm

redpony wrote:and I agree as well. I suspect they will be looking for a new coach in two years if they made chen agree to the same terms.

Chang
Plagiarize!
Let no one else's work evade your eyes.
Remember why the good lord made your eyes.
So don't shade your eyes, just
Plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize!

(Only be sure always to call it, please .... "research.")
Roach
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:30 pm

Mexmustang wrote:Don't know a head coach or corporate executive that would take a job without having the ability to hire or fire his own direct reports. Hawaii offered the job but told him he couldn't hire his own assistants.
It's all about money, the University didn't want to pay both severance and the salaries of the new assistants. Some schools have tried this before, but they rarely get their man. Fresno State offered Mason this about six years ago, and as much as he wanted to be a head coach, turned it down.

I'm not following it obsessively but the article I saw only said they demanded that Chang be on the staff as basically HCIW. And based on that article, I thought it sounded a whole lot like Larry Brown coming to SMU MBB. Was there more reporting, confirming that he wouldn't even get to fill out the rest of the staff? If so, that does seem beyond weird.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:47 am

I will wait for June's son to chime in on this one before I make up my mind.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby bubba pony » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:10 am

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/ ... ching-job/

from the above article:

Meisenzahl said anything is possible, but was strong in his criticism of Jones, saying, “Work history matters and leadership would be foolish not to take all of that into consideration.”

He brought up specific examples of Jones fighting UH on his buyout for a year when he took the SMU job in 2008; Arizona State withdrawing its offer to Jones for the head coaching job in 2012 at the last minute “reportedly on character concerns” and then Jones leaving SMU in 2014 after an 0-2 start.

---
Jones resume isn't very enticing. He bounced around to even become an assistant to a high school team. He is 68 years old, wants a 5 year contract and offers noting more than the old run and shoot.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:54 am

bubba pony wrote:wants a 5 year contract and offers noting more than the old run and shoot.

That's not entirely true. Jones brings a level of legitimacy back to their program, and from having talked to friends in Hawaii, the community and business community are behind Jones' rehire. Jones should be aware of the challenges as UoH, and is walking back in willingly.

JJ had significant issues with UoH when he left. And those of us who were at his introductory press conference at SMU probably remember some of the startling examples he cited. And certainly SMU delivered half measures of the support we promised IMHO.

Jones never did connect with the culture here, although he did good things for the community, and we should give him credit for being one of the key driving forces for the LEC, SAAS, ADSA and probably some other acronyms.

Still no excuse for walking after the UoNT game. If I were the UoH AD, I would want to give him 2 years too, but a program that's serious about correcting their ship would give him the 5 years he needs (if for nothing other than perception) and be prepared to payout 2-3 years given the probability of a meltdown.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football