PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

U of Hawaii officials upset with June Jones

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: U of Hawaii officials upset with June Jones

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 pm

Since Jones is my age, I still work and would hope that I have 5 years still left in me. Larry Brown was great here well into his 70's. Jones didn't fail here. He just quit after the ASU job didn't materialize. Guessing he had a mental breakdown of sorts. He took us to a conference championship, he took us to bowl games, made some missteps, like Mrs. Pickens' geldings, but was not a bad coach for most of his tenure. He also probably longed for Hawaii since he settled there. They could do much worse than Jones and probably will.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:08 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:
bubba pony wrote:If I were the UoH AD, I would want to give him 2 years too, but a program that's serious about correcting their ship would give him the 5 years he needs (if for nothing other than perception) and be prepared to payout 2-3 years given the probability of a meltdown.

Good point.

And who is this Meisenzahl dude that's giving all the comments in this article? "University of Hawaii spokesman". wth is that?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:06 pm

Good god -- he was 3 coaches ago. Let it go. Whether he coaches again, plays golf every day ... don't care. Thanks for the bowl games.

Lashlee is the coach who matters now.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby orguy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:11 pm

EastStang wrote:Since Jones is my age, I still work and would hope that I have 5 years still left in me. Larry Brown was great here well into his 70's. Jones didn't fail here. He just quit after the ASU job didn't materialize. Guessing he had a mental breakdown of sorts. He took us to a conference championship, he took us to bowl games, made some missteps, like Mrs. Pickens' geldings, but was not a bad coach for most of his tenure. He also probably longed for Hawaii since he settled there. They could do much worse than Jones and probably will.

Well put. My view on Jones excepting the "mental breakdown" part. Likely he knew that years
team was super thin. Probably a calculated move to save face. At the end of the day Jones
was the first head coach at SMU to have real success post DP. Some great memories.
orguy
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:43 pm

JJ did a good job early here at SMU. If only he had put together a staff of aggressive recruiters...who knows, he might have been able to accomplish here what he did at Hawaii (getting SMU into a NY6 game)
Charleston Pony

Postby shadowman » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:04 pm

The problem I have with giving Jones much credit for our bowl appearances is the level of competition at the time. When SMU was winning 7 games, those wins came against some of the worst teams to ever play top division football, now or then. C-USA was in shambles and most of SMU's wins came against teams in the Bottom 10.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:24 pm

SMU has played those same teams since the breakup of the SWC. Nobody else managed to do it. He wasn't what we hoped for, but he definitely got us out of the ditch.
mustangxc

Previous

Return to Football