PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby EastStang » Fri May 20, 2022 11:05 am

This is great stuff. Alabama loses some recruits due to NIL, Saban points at Jimbo, Jimbo calls him out. All I can say, is wait until UT joins the SEC. Everyone in the SEC will be on probation because UT wins by ratting out its opponents.
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11699
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby ponyboy » Fri May 20, 2022 11:38 am

Saban apologized. Still, great drama.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 14548
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri May 20, 2022 12:28 pm

ags will get caught red handed with multiple violations. NCAA will respond swiftly and harshly by giving the death penalty to SMU.
User avatar
HubbaHubba
All-American
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:37 am

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby Terry Webster » Fri May 20, 2022 1:09 pm

I don't think that either the ncaa or various states realized the fallout from the nil stuff. It is pretty much out of control.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3942
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Fort Thomas, KY

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby peruna81 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:15 pm

Nah, I actually think Fisher simply put words to a lot of folks grievances with both the ncaa, and Alabama in particular.

I like Saban. He is the best coach college football has seen in the last 50 years. In addition, he has SUSTAINED a powerhouse program. He hates losing, and doesn't tolerate failure. That is his telling trait.

He is facing a waining yet wonderful career, and has taken note that others are ascending. His nonsensical lashing out was petty, and he had the stones to apologize. Good for him. Saban quickly morphed the narrative to a "college football is in trouble" screed because of NIL. Well, duh.

Fisher is absolutely spot on in what he said regarding the hypocrisy that Saban spewed. He MAY actually be what the maroon Kool-aid-drinkers really need...a coach that will hold them accountable and temper their dreams of dominance in all things because they are Aggies. Time will tell, and October 8 just got a bit more intense and interesting.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2001 4:01 am
Location: central Texas

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby DallasMustang11 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:46 am

peruna81 wrote:Nah, I actually think Fisher simply put words to a lot of folks grievances with both the ncaa, and Alabama in particular.

I like Saban. He is the best coach college football has seen in the last 50 years. In addition, he has SUSTAINED a powerhouse program. He hates losing, and doesn't tolerate failure. That is his telling trait.

He is facing a waining yet wonderful career, and has taken note that others are ascending. His nonsensical lashing out was petty, and he had the stones to apologize. Good for him. Saban quickly morphed the narrative to a "college football is in trouble" screed because of NIL. Well, duh.

Fisher is absolutely spot on in what he said regarding the hypocrisy that Saban spewed. He MAY actually be what the maroon Kool-aid-drinkers really need...a coach that will hold them accountable and temper their dreams of dominance in all things because they are Aggies. Time will tell, and October 8 just got a bit more intense and interesting.

Was it really nonsensical though? Ags had topped out over the last several years at 2 5 stars. This year they have 7 and you are telling me they were not bought? What saban said was hypocritical certainly but definitely true as well when it comes to the aggies.
DallasMustang11
Recruit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun May 22, 2022 12:26 pm

DallasMustang11 wrote:
peruna81 wrote:Nah, I actually think Fisher simply put words to a lot of folks grievances with both the ncaa, and Alabama in particular.

I like Saban. He is the best coach college football has seen in the last 50 years. In addition, he has SUSTAINED a powerhouse program. He hates losing, and doesn't tolerate failure. That is his telling trait.

He is facing a waining yet wonderful career, and has taken note that others are ascending. His nonsensical lashing out was petty, and he had the stones to apologize. Good for him. Saban quickly morphed the narrative to a "college football is in trouble" screed because of NIL. Well, duh.

Fisher is absolutely spot on in what he said regarding the hypocrisy that Saban spewed. He MAY actually be what the maroon Kool-aid-drinkers really need...a coach that will hold them accountable and temper their dreams of dominance in all things because they are Aggies. Time will tell, and October 8 just got a bit more intense and interesting.

Was it really nonsensical though? Ags had topped out over the last several years at 2 5 stars. This year they have 7 and you are telling me they were not bought? What saban said was hypocritical certainly but definitely true as well when it comes to the aggies.


Loved the part about Saban saying "kids grow up dreaming of playing for Alabama" or something to that effect. This situation is not unlike when SMU was out bidding the Whorn$ and others and winning the SWC. Alabama has undoubtedly been cheating with the best of them for years and Saban was just telling the truth but clearly upset the Aggie$ are buying so many 5 star kids.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 24072
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby peruna81 » Mon May 23, 2022 8:50 am

"Was it really nonsensical though? Ags had topped out over the last several years at 2 5 stars. This year they have 7 and you are telling me they were not bought? What saban said was hypocritical certainly but definitely true as well when it comes to the aggies."
DallasMustang11


What A$M did was within the current murky definition of "OK" by the ncaa...wait, scratch that. The ncaa didn't bother to define NIL clearly enough before the judicial system GAVE them the working definition. The Aggies simply adjusted and evolved faster than anyone else, and reaped the benefits of what arguably is the best HS recruiting class ever. But A$M has always been the black hole for great recruits...they appear, then are never seen or heard of again. Time will tell.

As this whole NIL/tranfer portal/brave new world thing continues to develop, coaches are going to have to go into year-long recruiting mode: not just for high school and JUCO recruits, but to re-recruit their own current team..
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2001 4:01 am
Location: central Texas

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon May 23, 2022 1:05 pm

Much like the NFL & free agency, NILs are keeping interest in college athletics more alive during the off-season.

And I agree ‘81, retaining existing talent will be much more important going forward. I think it also plays a role in who starts vs who sits, ie i don’t play this 4-star immediately and he portals syndrome.
User avatar
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:01 am

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby EastStang » Mon May 23, 2022 2:26 pm

Freshmen may end up at lower schools where they'll start and then move up the money ladder through the portals. After all, why spend a bunch of money on a freshman who gets redshirted and then enters the portal?
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11699
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon May 23, 2022 3:44 pm

EastStang wrote:Freshmen may end up at lower schools where they'll start and then move up the money ladder through the portals. After all, why spend a bunch of money on a freshman who gets redshirted and then enters the portal?


Colleges and Universities have been the "minor leagues" for the NFL for years, so why not FCS to FBS G5 to FBS P5 schools? A natural progression, much like baseball's Class A, AA & AAA farm system levels. The vast majority of college athletes will still be using scholarships to get their education as they prepare for life in the real world but the better athletes and the ones that develop significantly after high school can continue to develop with the hope of playing professionally or at least be able to pick and choose schools depending on the education they desire.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 24072
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby peruna81 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:10 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
EastStang wrote:Freshmen may end up at lower schools where they'll start and then move up the money ladder through the portals. After all, why spend a bunch of money on a freshman who gets redshirted and then enters the portal?


Colleges and Universities have been the "minor leagues" for the NFL for years, so why not FCS to FBS G5 to FBS P5 schools? A natural progression, much like baseball's Class A, AA & AAA farm system levels. The vast majority of college athletes will still be using scholarships to get their education as they prepare for life in the real world but the better athletes and the ones that develop significantly after high school can continue to develop with the hope of playing professionally or at least be able to pick and choose schools depending on the education they desire.

Well, call me greedy CP...but I want to work to be in the "haves" as opposed to the "have nots".

If as you suggest we indeed we are currently AA, it is time to "Cry havoc" and do what SMU is infamous for...pay for play.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend
 
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2001 4:01 am
Location: central Texas

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby EastStang » Tue May 24, 2022 10:45 am

A school ahead of its time. Actually, the Aggies, the Whorns, the Frogs were every bit as bad as we were, the Whorns were made and the NCAA mafiosos protected them. I am still surprised that the SEC admitted the Whorns. The Hogs left the SWC to get away from Texas and the Aggies left the Big XII to get away from the UT - Divas and the Longhorn Network.
"Student Athletes, so that's what you call your slaves" - Eric Cartman 2011
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 11699
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:01 am

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 24, 2022 11:35 am

EastStang wrote:A school ahead of its time. Actually, the Aggies, the Whorns, the Frogs were every bit as bad as we were, the Whorns were made and the NCAA mafiosos protected them. I am still surprised that the SEC admitted the Whorns. The Hogs left the SWC to get away from Texas and the Aggies left the Big XII to get away from the UT - Divas and the Longhorn Network.


But still one of the most valuable brands in college athletics
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 24072
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: Anyone Following the Saban/Fisher slamfest

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue May 24, 2022 12:22 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
EastStang wrote:A school ahead of its time. Actually, the Aggies, the Whorns, the Frogs were every bit as bad as we were, the Whorns were made and the NCAA mafiosos protected them. I am still surprised that the SEC admitted the Whorns. The Hogs left the SWC to get away from Texas and the Aggies left the Big XII to get away from the UT - Divas and the Longhorn Network.


But still one of the most valuable brands in college athletics

Is it really anymore, though?

They are totally irrelevant now. Sure they had their one little lucky flash with Vince Young but haven't really been consistently strong in generations.
Shake It Off Moody
User avatar
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 16400
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:01 am
Location: The 214

Next

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], smuaustin1971, stlpony and 27 guests