PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ASU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ASU

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:33 pm

Principle.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 pm

By what objective measure is the B12 better as an overall conference to the PAC 12. Provide support and we can have a discourse. To me the PAC 12 is so much better, both academically and the media markets complementarity of the schools. Once the pac 12 adds SMU, it’s game set over for the B12 as the worst p5 conference.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby FroggieFever » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:21 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Once the pac 12 adds SMU, it’s game set over for the B12 as the worst p5 conference.

Show me this mysterious (which does not exist) media contract which reflects this. (And will not exist.)

The PAC will be "raided" - (or whatever adjective you choose) - by both the Big 12 and the B10. I do not know how ppl fail to see this even w/o boardroom talks.
Last edited by FroggieFever on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby FroggieFever » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:22 pm

ponyboy wrote:Principle.

I wish I could blame that on my iPad ... but alas.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:02 pm

FroggieFever wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:Once the pac 12 adds SMU, it’s game set over for the B12 as the worst p5 conference.

Show me this mysterious (which does not exist) media contract which reflects this. (And will not exist.)

The PAC will be "raided" - (or whatever adjective you choose) - by both the Big 12 and the B10. I do not know how ppl fail to see this even w/o boardroom talks.

Well, I don’t have inside information but clearly it doesn’t make sense for the pac 12 to fall, there are various deals out there that make sense for the PAC 12 to come out with a deal that should be comparable to what the B12 because the schools and the markets are better than the B12. Assuming that doesn’t happen, and the PAC 12 is raided, it’s clear that the more desirable schools (Stanford, UW, Oregon and Berkeley) would want to go to the B10 and the others to the B12. From what I understand, the b10 wants to move really only for Notre Dame. The SEC and the ACC would not stand pat and would move to cherry pick other schools and other conferences, it will be a free for all. The fact that SMU is the second option for the PAC 12 gives me some comfort that SMU will find a place in this crazy landscape. I’m just hoping that the PAC 12 survives, because I truly believe it would be a travesty for the pac 12 to not survive. We will all find out sooner or later.

Do you have this “mysterious” media contract with the agreement of the pac 12 schools that the B12 will raid?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Topper » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:09 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:By what objective measure is the B12 better as an overall conference to the PAC 12. Provide support and we can have a discourse. To me the PAC 12 is so much better, both academically and the media markets complementarity of the schools. Once the pac 12 adds SMU, it’s game set over for the B12 as the worst p5 conference.

FF doesn't need to explain himself. He is omniscient but far too modest to say so. Not passive/aggressive in the least but a victim of mean old SMU supporters who dare question his insider status.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:14 am

FroggieFever wrote:

If you are so convinced that the Big XII will be raiding the PAC-12 you clearly have no rooting interest for SMU and are just trolling. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

All the evidence points to the PAC-12 staying together for now and having a media deal that is very comparable to the Big XII. You are such a big TCU fan that you are totally consumed by the fact that SMU could be in a similar or better conference than SMU. Wishful thinking is not reality. There is nothing to suggest one scenario is more likely than the other.
mustangxc

Postby slawton011963 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:53 pm

Unfortunately the Pac 12 will be "raided"....but so will the Big XII....and so will the ACC....etc. And while we are at it, FF, rest assured your beloved Brett Yormark is on the lookout for his next opportunity. I say "unfortunately" because this constant game of leapfrog just disgusts me. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but the college game that I've always loved is gone. In my opinion, anyone who wishes for the destruction/demise of the PAC 12 (or any other conference for that matter) is no friend of college football. Yeah, I'm naive or maybe just getting nostalgic in my old age, but what is going to be left behind is simply a Saturday version of the NFL. Rosters change, so many players have no loyalty other than to the highest bidder...so we end up with 26 and 27 year olds making six and seven figures while playing for their 4th team.

But it is what it is. Let's just hope this Pac 12 invite happens and we can take a bit of a step forward.
slawton011963

Postby laxdawg97 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:45 pm

Topper wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:By what objective measure is the B12 better as an overall conference to the PAC 12. Provide support and we can have a discourse. To me the PAC 12 is so much better, both academically and the media markets complementarity of the schools. Once the pac 12 adds SMU, it’s game set over for the B12 as the worst p5 conference.

FF doesn't need to explain himself. He is omniscient but far too modest to say so. Not passive/aggressive in the least but a victim of mean old SMU supporters who dare question his insider status.

In the most charitable light, this whole imbroglio suggests the frogs should look a little closer at who they're letting in the room when critical information is shared, and strategy is discussed. If nothing else, I guess we can take comfort that SMU stakeholders are showing better judgment vs. (ab)using their access for fodder on message boards.
laxdawg97
Scout Team

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:49 pm

PAC is done. (As of calls this mrng.) Likely settle on a streaming deal w/ a ESPN/FS1 game here and there but no expansion.

Big 12 will not be in a better sitch come next round. (Unless additions can pull their weight.)
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby FroggieFever » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:51 pm

slawton011963 wrote:Unfortunately the Pac 12 will be "raided"....but so will the Big XII....and so will the ACC....etc. And while we are at it, FF, rest assured your beloved Brett Yormark is on the lookout for his next opportunity.

I agree.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Webmaster » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:07 pm

slawton011963 wrote:Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but the college game that I've always loved is gone. In my opinion, anyone who wishes for the destruction/demise of the PAC 12 (or any other conference for that matter) is no friend of college football.

I'm not ready to give up on college football quite yet, but yeah man, I'm with you 1000%.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby fan » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:14 pm

FroggieFever wrote:PAC is done. (As of calls this mrng.) Likely settle on a streaming deal w/ a ESPN/FS1 game here and there but no expansion.

Big 12 will not be in a better sitch come next round. (Unless additions can pull their weight.)

Hmmm.... no SMU/SDSU in your opinion? Seems like they'd want to do it for self preservation alone.
fan
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:41 pm

I know we all are hoping for an Invitation, which would mean the PAC-12 and their new media partners value (1) expansion into Central Time, (2) the reemerging strength of SMU's brand and our upside (which will be significant), and (3) direct access to the DFW market for recruiting.

However, if they were to defer on us, I would find it unlikely that they do not invite SDSU with its Southern California location and market. If they passed on the Aztecs too, the BigXII would offer SDSU the next day.

Either FF knows something (?) or it is wishful thinking on his part. I'll take Door #2.

In the meantime, I choose to be optimistic. 8)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMUstang » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:58 pm

If it is an Apple + or an Amazon deal, it is hard to imagine them passing up the D/FW and San Diego markets replacing the lost LA market.
SMUstang
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football