PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby SMUstang » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:15 pm

gostangs wrote: Man i just do not get the love for Rice, UTSA and Tulane. We are trying to separate up, not pull down.

Not saying I love them, but they fit the PAC profile of academia and we have history with two of them and the other, though young, shows great promise. I don't think it's particularly good if we are the only school from Texas in the PAC. The others have assets, like major markets, and large endowments, and a lot of research $, and good destinations, and oh by the way they have athletics which are not bad.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:04 pm

SMUstang wrote:
gostangs wrote: Man i just do not get the love for Rice, UTSA and Tulane. We are trying to separate up, not pull down.

Not saying I love them, but they fit the PAC profile of academia and we have history with two of them and the other, though young, shows great promise. I don't think it's particularly good if we are the only school from Texas in the PAC. The others have assets, like major markets, and large endowments, and a lot of research $, and good destinations, and oh by the way they have athletics which are not bad.

US News bundles UTSA in the 331 - 440 ranking of 440 national universities and it has an endowment of $277 million. Doesn't look like a PAC 12 profile to me.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby SMUstang » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:42 pm

I have not seen anything that says UTSA is remotely on the Pac 12's potential expansion list. But if they are not on their radar, something is wrong. Certainly athletics plays a big part in a schools image. But it is not the only thing. I don't think SMU can afford to look down their nose at anyone!
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:51 pm

SMUstang wrote:I have not seen anything that says UTSA is remotely on the Pac 12's potential expansion list. But if they are not on their radar, something is wrong. Certainly athletics plays a big part in a schools image. But it is not the only thing. I don't think SMU can afford to look down their nose at anyone!

Agree. Everyone talks about our potential in the NIL era but as they say, potential just means you haven't done it yet
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:06 am

While San Antonio has a large population it is the #37 media market according to Nielsen. So, it doesn't really move the TV needle much. This is all about the TV suits, if they want SMU and Rice to make inroads into Dallas and Houston markets, they'll get invites. New Orleans has the #53 media market. Again, not a huge needle mover, although Tulane is a huge upgrade academically to the conference and did beat USC last year. So, they might get a look for that reason.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:41 pm

John Wilner on Sports360AZ about PAC-12 Expansion

“Does SMU create media value?”

“I think it probably helps,” sports media analyst, Patrick Crakes, says

https://sports360az.com/2023/03/pac-12- ... lyst-says/
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Statler » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:19 pm

Statler
Hall of Famer

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:43 am

max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:45 am

The fact that they're talking to Fresno and probaby UNLV later confirms they are lower tier than the PAC 12. At this point, I'm glad they snubbed us.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:30 am

San Diego State making the final 4 in basketball does not hurt their chances. Since the PAC 12 would likely want to add 2, who would be the other one :wink: ?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:35 am

EastStang wrote:The fact that they're talking to Fresno and probaby UNLV later confirms they are lower tier than the PAC 12. At this point, I'm glad they snubbed us.

Since they took Cougar Community College wouldn't they want the Richland Thunderducks?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby BUS » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:43 am

For Wrestling - Go for the Thunderduck's!
QUACK
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby max the wonder dog » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:08 pm

Another sports writer predicts SMU and SDSU to the PAC 12 as most likely scenario. Also predicts Fresno State and UNLV will join the party. FWIW, the Vegas market is #40 and growing. Fresno is #54.

https://collegefootballnews.com/news/college-football-expansion-predictions-conference-realignment-whats-new-in-2023
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:26 pm

I cannot imagine those two schools joining the PAC ever - unless the presidents just completely threw academics out as a primary deciding factor.
ponyboy

Postby Rla1022 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:18 pm

Funny. This story is trending on Google. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... 6.amp.html

I guess the PAC gets what sowed back in 2011
Rla1022
Scout Team

PreviousNext

Return to Football