PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby SMUstang » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:53 pm

It will be interesting to see what actually happens.
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:35 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:Another sports writer predicts SMU and SDSU to the PAC 12 as most likely scenario. Also predicts Fresno State and UNLV will join the party. FWIW, the Vegas market is #40 and growing. Fresno is #54.

https://collegefootballnews.com/news/college-football-expansion-predictions-conference-realignment-whats-new-in-2023

Again, anyone who mentions UNLV, Fresno, or Boise and the PAC 12 instantly loses all credibility.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby bubba pony » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:30 am

agree, and let's stop inviting Rice, UTSA, Houston, Tulane and anyone else. hopefully there are at least two seats on this life raft and we are invited. Let’s not tip over the boat.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:13 am

For what little it is worth: Last night on one of the Big 12/WVU vlogger channels the host referenced a post on a Utah pay site. Someone claiming insider knowledge regarding Utah's involvement in the media rights deal (a la FF) was attributed as saying that TNT is now involved in negotiations. This anonymous person said that because the streaming services are new to CFB their legal teams are taking longer than Fox or ESPN to work out boilerplate language as this is new to them. I am getting the impression that one or more streaming services will have media rights and that they will license certain games to regional or national networks. This info is all total hearsay of course and, as in the case of FF, we don't have credentials on which to make a sound judgment re credibility.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:53 pm

The B12 may end up regretting showing their hand early.
ponyboy

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:06 am

ponyboy wrote:The B12 may end up regretting showing their hand early.

It may be that they actually are being overpaid for their rights. I have a feeling that once the ratings start coming in they will find that people in Texas (the biggest Big 12 market) will be more interested in watching SEC games than Iowa State / Cincinnatti, or any other Big 12 game that will have no bearing on UT or A&M.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:03 pm

That too.
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:36 pm

I looked at the TV ratings for the new Big XII teams during the regular season. Like us, they routinely had fewer than 1/2 million viewers. TCU because of its Cinderella status had some good ratings down the stretch. Not so much for games earlier. For example, their game with us didn't even register any ratings. Did ESPN and Fox overpay? They'll find out in 2024.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:55 pm

EastStang wrote:I looked at the TV ratings for the new Big XII teams during the regular season. Like us, they routinely had fewer than 1/2 million viewers. TCU because of its Cinderella status had some good ratings down the stretch. Not so much for games earlier. For example, their game with us didn't even register any ratings. Did ESPN and Fox overpay? They'll find out in 2024.

I think the value of the PAC 12, keeping fingers crossed that we make it, is that they have 6 flagship universities from states all significantly larger than Kansas and West Virginia. Suddenly, the Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, Denver and Phoenix markets will be much more interested in our games as they will have bearing on the flagship college standings. UT and A&M are always going to have more eyes on their games than SMU in Texas, but TCU, Baylor, Tech and Houston are not going to beat them in the ratings either. That leaves them relying the markets of Oklahoma City, Lubbock etc for viewer interest. As I said, UT and A&M have the biggest followings in this state by far. Those fans are going to be more interested in the SEC games than the Big 12 which is now made up of cow colleges, commuter schools, church colleges, and only two flagships. There is talk that the Big 12 is courting Fresno. To me that makes them a joke of a conference.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby 3rdGenPony » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:59 pm

There is no interest in the Big 12 in St. Louis. All Mizzou which is SEC.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby Topper » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:14 pm

3rdGenPony wrote:There is no interest in the Big 12 in St. Louis. All Mizzou which is SEC.

I edited my remarks. I get Kansas City and St. Louis mixed up sometimes because I am an old man. Of course Kansas City is mostly a Missouri city it just has Kansas suburbs.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:32 pm

I like this "...and who is going to get the MWC and AAC backfill slot call-ups?"
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:35 pm

ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:54 am

I loved how he called Dennis Dodd a Big XII Karen!
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football