PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Your Thoughts on True Brvnd SMU Hat

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Your Thoughts on True Brvnd SMU Hat

Postby GHammond » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:55 pm

Just received my e-mail with a special hat offer that went all to season tic holders & Mustang Clubbers....I probably have 15-20 SMU hats with 2-3 in constant circulation. Some I save for nostalgic value (Bluebonnet Silver Anniv.) and others are just hard to part with...not sure this "upside-down Dallas" SMU hat will make the rotation - collection. But, I an old fart, still hoping someday we return to our Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue roots. #PonyUP!
GHammond
Varsity

Re: Your Thoughts on True Brvnd SMU Hat

Postby BUS » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:06 pm

Ditto on the number of hats and the current rotation. Sometimes my wife suggests that the really dirty ones need to rotate out.

I can see this as a Dallas bonding/marketing piece.

Hail to the Red and the Blue.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:35 pm

True Brvnd is great, their style is great, and the hats are *everywhere* in town. This is a good thing.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Hoofprint » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:54 pm

These have nothing to do with SMU.

Hats should have a Mustang and/or SMU on them. That's it.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:16 pm

Yeah. Went to their website and didn't see any SMU merch.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Dukie » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:28 pm

Hoofprint wrote:These have nothing to do with SMU.

HubbaHubba wrote:Yeah. Went to their website and didn't see any SMU merch.

Y’all are misunderstanding. This is an exclusive preorder window for the SMU co-branded hats. They’re not on their website yet. (Most of their new designs sell out instantly.) And yes there is a running Mustang. And Hoofprint, I guess you’ve opted out of all SMU “Dallas” gear, which, whatever. :roll:
Attachments
IMG_2077.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg (130.42 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Drum Major » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 pm

But what is cool about writing "Dallas" upside-down? it looks like SALLAD. The upside-down writing is ridiculous.
Drum Major
Recruit

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:49 pm

I believe the upside down Dallas is a nod to SMU "flipping the script" which is too high brow to make it a truly effective marketing campaign.
mustangxc

Postby BUS » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:03 am

My wife said she could see it worn upside down like a rally hat.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby peruna81 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:07 am

ANY publicity is good publicity...

It was only 5 years ago virtually everyone on this site (including myself) were decrying the lack of PR and media exposure coming from and to SMU. We still aren't where we need to be, but...well, you know the rest.

The hats? A strong 'Meh' from a 60-something year old Mustang...but somebody will like 'em and wear 'em, and that is a good thing.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoofprint » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:34 am

Dukie wrote:
Hoofprint wrote:These have nothing to do with SMU.

HubbaHubba wrote:Yeah. Went to their website and didn't see any SMU merch.

Y’all are misunderstanding. This is an exclusive preorder window for the SMU co-branded hats. They’re not on their website yet. (Most of their new designs sell out instantly.) And yes there is a running Mustang. And Hoofprint, I guess you’ve opted out of all SMU “Dallas” gear, which, whatever. :roll:

Didn't have to opt out -- never opted in. :D I have plenty of gear with SMU or Mustangs. Works for me.

And I don't think the upside down writing is a reference to SMU (or anyone) flipping the script. Isn't it a design that has been utilized in many cities?
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Peruna88 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:33 pm

Y’all are missing the big picture here. As a 50 something white guy, I don’t really get the upside down thing either.

But, look at that website. They have licenses for the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, and most of those hats are sold out.

This is a local Dallas company that has hit it big in the up-and-coming/cool kids scene. For us to get one of their hats is a really big deal.

How many times do we complain about there being no SMU merchandise anywhere? Now, we will have a hat in one of the hottest local brands with our running pony on the side.

So, get off my lawn & go buy a hat. You’ll need it when it’s 110 outside on 9/2 (thanks a lot, ESPN).

#PonyUp
Peruna88
All-American

Postby Dukie » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:40 pm

Peruna88 wrote:Y’all are missing the big picture here. As a 50 something white guy, I don’t really get the upside down thing either.

But, look at that website. They have licenses for the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, and most of those hats are sold out.

This is a local Dallas company that has hit it big in the up-and-coming/cool kids scene. For us to get one of their hats is a really big deal.

How many times do we complain about there being no SMU merchandise anywhere? Now, we will have a hat in one of the hottest local brands with our running pony on the side.

So, get off my lawn & go buy a hat. You’ll need it when it’s 110 outside on 9/2 (thanks a lot, ESPN).

#PonyUp

All of this, exactly. Don’t want one? Don’t buy one. Would it have been *amazing* for them to do the Dallas script from the Texans that SMU is reusing? 100%. Is this awesome enough just as it is? Yes. Yes. Yes.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:41 pm

mustangxc wrote:I believe the upside down Dallas is a nod to SMU "flipping the script" which is too high brow to make it a truly effective marketing campaign.

No, upside down is just their brand. Check out the Cowboys version that Dak is hawking.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:26 pm

Just don't give one to a golf recruit
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football