PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Realignment Update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Realignment Update

Postby Terry Webster » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am

Topper wrote:

Colorado board of regents meets tomorrow afternoon. Agenda includes discussion of legal matter related to athletics per public posting.

From what I read it had something to do with expansion of facilities.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:33 pm

Patience, Grasshoper

Arizona and Colorado can, and should, wait to see the Pac-12 media deal l Pac-12 Podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAjVjjSJ9FE
Last edited by Water Pony on Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:38 pm

UCLA Having Buyer's Remorse?

In an outside-the-paywall column Canzano says UCLA might return to PAC 12 when its contract with B1G ends in 2030.

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-you-want-plot-twists-i-got
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:07 pm

Nothing even approaching definitive here but SI reporting on Jim Williams saying the B1G has vetted 10 schools for possible future expansion: 5 PAC (the 4 you’d expect + Utah) and 5 ACC (the 2 you’d expect + Duke, Ga Tech & Miami.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/ne ... ssovlement
Dukie
Heisman

Postby WordUpBU » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:33 am

max the wonder dog wrote:UCLA Having Buyer's Remorse?

In an outside-the-paywall column Canzano says UCLA might return to PAC 12 when its contract with B1G ends in 2030.

That's some hardcore wishcasting like the Big 12 outlets wondering if Nebraska would return from the Big Ten to the Big 12 during 2020 and the Big Ten's long refusal to play football that year.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby Topper » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:52 pm

WordUpBU wrote:

That's some hardcore wishcasting like the Big 12 outlets wondering if Nebraska would return from the Big Ten to the Big 12 during 2020 and the Big Ten's long refusal to play football that year.

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not being argumentive and I don't object to anyone participating on this board as long as they are respectful. But why are all of these Big 12 bloggers, vloggers, and commentators spending so much time and energy talking about the PAC? I understand that the Big 12 is trying to do what it can to overcome the loss of all of its prestige members over the past couple of decades. But all of these people seem overtly agressive and seem to have no hesitation to repeat any rumor that comes along for the sake of keeping the discussion going. I am as much of a football fan as anyone else, but I have never even thought about reading other teams' blogs or commenting on their situation to their fan base. I come and go in peace.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:23 pm

It is easy to understand due to the big 12 hired a p.r. firm to help increase their standing. Personally I find it off putting and insecure.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby WordUpBU » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:40 pm

Topper wrote:
WordUpBU wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not being argumentive and I don't object to anyone participating on this board as long as they are respectful. But why are all of these Big 12 bloggers, vloggers, and commentators spending so much time and energy talking about the PAC? I understand that the Big 12 is trying to do what it can to overcome the loss of all of its prestige members over the past couple of decades. But all of these people seem overtly agressive and seem to have no hesitation to repeat any rumor that comes along for the sake of keeping the discussion going. I am as much of a football fan as anyone else, but I have never even thought about reading other teams' blogs or commenting on their situation to their fan base. I come and go in peace.

Honestly since 2010 most of the Big 12 fanbases have been following realignment closely- particularly when we might be involved. As someone who obviously follows my school but also has a soft spot for SMU, I periodically come over here when the topic makes sense. I'm not exactly new here and simply offer a different perspective- respectfully of course.
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby Oldmins » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:45 pm

Topper wrote:
WordUpBU wrote:

Not many people on these forums as righteous as you.
Oldmins
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:35 pm

UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby FroggieFever » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:26 pm

EastStang wrote:Big XII showing their more reachable targets.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/big-12-commissioner-visits-memphis-182628691.html

Basketball.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Topper » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:15 pm

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not being argumentive and I don't object to anyone participating on this board as long as they are respectful. But why are all of these Big 12 bloggers, vloggers, and commentators spending so much time and energy talking about the PAC? I understand that the Big 12 is trying to do what it can to overcome the loss of all of its prestige members over the past couple of decades. But all of these people seem overtly agressive and seem to have no hesitation to repeat any rumor that comes along for the sake of keeping the discussion going. I am as much of a football fan as anyone else, but I have never even thought about reading other teams' blogs or commenting on their situation to their fan base. I come and go in peace.[/quote]

Honestly since 2010 most of the Big 12 fanbases have been following realignment closely- particularly when we might be involved. As someone who obviously follows my school but also has a soft spot for SMU, I periodically come over here when the topic makes sense. I'm not exactly new here and simply offer a different perspective- respectfully of course.[/quote]
My question was really more about the audience for these attention seeking Big 12 mouthpieces who keep popping up on my Youtube feed. Obviously people are watching these performances becuse there are so many of them and they keep coming back day after day. Some more respectable than others but I don't understand their obsession with realignment and their almost uniform glee when it comes to repeating questionable rumors about the demise of the PAC 12.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby GHammond » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:22 pm

Memphis would fit perfectly in the Big 12 - backwater market, low academics, singular sports success, secondary appeal in their market….but, it will [deleted] me off if they get some sort of invite before us, really [deleted] me off. Memphis is a JC on roids , at best.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:08 pm

GHammond wrote:Memphis would fit perfectly in the Big 12 - backwater market, low academics, singular sports success, secondary appeal in their market….but, it will [deleted] me off if they get some sort of invite before us, really [deleted] me off. Memphis is a JC on roids , at best.

They already took Houston so what is one more JUCO? Yeah it sucks to be not invited to the party but, hopefully, we'll get invited to the prom and won't have mourn over not going to the sock hop. The diminished Pac12>>>the diminished Big12. The Big12 fans and admins know this. That is why they are praying (preying?) to snatch a PAC12 member or two. Any existing PAC12 member would likely be favored to win the Big12 conference their first year. Don't know if that is incentive enough to make any of the schools jump to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby WordUpBU » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:27 pm

Topper wrote:Don't take this the wrong way. I am not being argumentive and I don't object to anyone participating on this board as long as they are respectful. But why are all of these Big 12 bloggers, vloggers, and commentators spending so much time and energy talking about the PAC? I understand that the Big 12 is trying to do what it can to overcome the loss of all of its prestige members over the past couple of decades. But all of these people seem overtly agressive and seem to have no hesitation to repeat any rumor that comes along for the sake of keeping the discussion going. I am as much of a football fan as anyone else, but I have never even thought about reading other teams' blogs or commenting on their situation to their fan base. I come and go in peace.

Honestly since 2010 most of the Big 12 fanbases have been following realignment closely- particularly when we might be involved. As someone who obviously follows my school but also has a soft spot for SMU, I periodically come over here when the topic makes sense. I'm not exactly new here and simply offer a different perspective- respectfully of course.[/quote]
My question was really more about the audience for these attention seeking Big 12 mouthpieces who keep popping up on my Youtube feed. Obviously people are watching these performances becuse there are so many of them and they keep coming back day after day. Some more respectable than others but I don't understand their obsession with realignment and their almost uniform glee when it comes to repeating questionable rumors about the demise of the PAC 12.[/quote]

It depends on who it is exactly whether they are being ethical about it but generally a combo of the following...
A- It's the offseason and it gets clicks/views

B- It's an interesting saga. You've got business angles to analyze, political angles to analyze, and athletic changes that could result from it. Debates over when streaming vs cable becomes a thing, debates over academia biases in different states, and the common sports topic of "how does this impact [insert school name here]'s ability to compete short term and long term?"

C- Potentially directly interested parties across 4-5 conferences (Pac 12, Big 12, MWC, AAC, and possibly Big Ten) depending on who moves where. Big 12 and Pac 12 is obvious. Big Ten if they move on some combo of Oregon/UW. AAC if SMU goes and MWC if they lose SDSU or another. Additionally smaller interest by any league MWC/AAC would backfill with.

D- This is probably the shortest runway before a TV deal runs out I have ever seen a league flirt with. The only contract the PAC has with an external media company is done a year from now. That amps up the deadline pressure to 11 even if they end up with one. Also it's being done in public in the age of social media with really well sourced sports business reporting as well giving more of a play by play than would have been common a decade ago.

It's not surprising it's getting attention in my opinion.
WordUpBU
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football