PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Heisman trophy reinstated, now Death Penalty?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Heisman trophy reinstated, now Death Penalty?

Postby Manorwood » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 pm

Nineteen years ago the NCAA took Reggie Bush's Heismann away because of "infractions". Now they (the Heismann Trust) are giving it back. So now what can the NCAA do about the Death Penalty invoked on SMU 38 years ago? Can they take it back?
Manorwood

Re: Heisman trophy reinstated, now Death Penalty?

Postby dickey1331 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:55 pm

Nothing. We aren’t even the only school to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dickey1331
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyGirl » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 pm

Manorwood makes a good point. I don't agree that Bush should get his Heisman back, because it was stripped because of violations of rules as they were written at the time.

But if the NCAA is going to undo that punishment, it should undo the DP, too. It won't, but it should.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby PK » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 pm

PonyGirl wrote:Manorwood makes a good point. I don't agree that Bush should get his Heisman back, because it was stripped because of violations of rules as they were written at the time.

But if the NCAA is going to undo that punishment, it should undo the DP, too. It won't, but it should.

There is nothing they could do to take back the punishment, but they could erase the whole thing from NCCA records not that it would matter that much.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:51 pm

PK wrote:
PonyGirl wrote:Manorwood makes a good point. I don't agree that Bush should get his Heisman back, because it was stripped because of violations of rules as they were written at the time.

There is nothing they could do to take back the punishment, but they could erase the whole thing from NCCA records not that it would matter that much.

Somehow, without the plague of Alzheimer's or Dementia, I just won't forget or erase the memory of the Death Penalty.
Just saying "it didn't happen" is poor fare with historical accuracy.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:01 pm

What everyone is doing as the norm now is way worse than what we did for the death penalty.

NCAA now has a thousand rules most of which are minutiae nonsense. Meanwhile kids are getting paid (not performance based though!) and transferring every second that there is. The NCAA is on the path to getting its own death penalty.

https://x.com/SMUCompliance/status/1456685965255266314
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Football