PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Finebaum Burns Mustangs at Event

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Finebaum Burns Mustangs at Event

Postby GHammond » Wed May 01, 2024 9:04 am

SEC Networks Paul Finebaum, speaking Monday at a Memphis Quarterback Club event, told attendees that Memphis was more deserving of an ACC bid versus SMU. Pretty hilarious to watch the Memphis fan base now chortling on social media in complete agreement. Of course, many are claiming racism as the reason for Memphis’ exclusion. Just when I was sort of starting to like Paul….and, those poor Memphis fans - what a delusional lot.
GHammond
Varsity

Re: Finebaum Burns Mustangs at Event

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed May 01, 2024 10:07 am

One presumes that the ACC falls into the "what have you done for me lately" (and what can you do for me in the future) camp. Memphis may technically be more deserving from an athletics standpoint, but ONLY over the last decade. And clearly athletics was only part of the ACC's consideration.

Further, athletic rankings have a way of changing pretty quickly, and it wasn't very long ago that Memphis was the patsy ... of CUSA. In fact, Memphis has pretty much sucked their entire existence up until the last few years.

Based on academics, what they're good at athletically and their brand, Memphis' best shot would seem to be backfilling into the Big12 after the next team leaves that conference.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby MDJenkins » Wed May 01, 2024 10:31 am

We were fortunate to have deep pocket donors that allowed us to buy into a conference upgrade. It is the reality of this situation and the new world of college sports. Admittedly, Memphis has had more recent success both on the hardwoods and football fields.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Wed May 01, 2024 11:59 am

What would you expect him to say at a Memphis TD Club session? What would he say if speaking at SMU?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed May 01, 2024 12:14 pm

I do think Memphis and USF would be good fits in the Big 12/18 if they continue to grow eastward.
Charleston Pony

Postby ShantyBoy » Wed May 01, 2024 3:06 pm

That dude is a clown. Who cares. No way Memphis ever would have made it. Don’t have the academics and don’t have the bad-a** boosters we have.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby Topper » Wed May 01, 2024 3:58 pm

Finebaum is a geek who whose whole gig is saying anything provocative in order to draw attention. Sadly, that is the key to success in today's media landscape. I do wonder where he finds shirts with such tiny neck sizes.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Hop Sing » Wed May 01, 2024 6:46 pm

mrydel wrote:What would you expect him to say at a Memphis TD Club session? What would he say if speaking at SMU?

Bingo
I'm not anti-Memphis, but they will never be in the ACC because of their academics. They have passionate fans that deserve better than the AAC, so maybe they can make it to the big 12 one day.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby orguy » Wed May 01, 2024 11:53 pm

GHammond wrote:SEC Networks Paul Finebaum, speaking Monday at a Memphis Quarterback Club event, told attendees that Memphis was more deserving of an ACC bid versus SMU. Pretty hilarious to watch the Memphis fan base now chortling on social media in complete agreement. Of course, many are claiming racism as the reason for Memphis’ exclusion. Just when I was sort of starting to like Paul….and, those poor Memphis fans - what a delusional lot.

Finebaum is a dime store joke. Guy married an M.D to provide for the needs of his
bald head. Hates SMU. He is a conformist in evey sense of the word.
orguy
All-American

Postby Dukie » Thu May 02, 2024 8:33 am

orguy wrote:
GHammond wrote:SEC Networks Paul Finebaum, speaking Monday at a Memphis Quarterback Club event, told attendees that Memphis was more deserving of an ACC bid versus SMU. Pretty hilarious to watch the Memphis fan base now chortling on social media in complete agreement. Of course, many are claiming racism as the reason for Memphis’ exclusion. Just when I was sort of starting to like Paul….and, those poor Memphis fans - what a delusional lot.

Finebaum is a dime store joke. Guy married an M.D to provide for the needs of his
bald head. Hates SMU. He is a conformist in evey sense of the word.

He's also the consummate $EC apologist with no scruples or worries about honesty/accuracy, and is happy to do anything and everything to promote that conference and destabilize literally everything else, but especially the ACC.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu May 02, 2024 8:36 am

The Dallas TV market is five times the size of the Memphis TV market.

The eyes have it.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu May 02, 2024 10:57 am

You're Wake Forest, you'd like to recruit great players. Do you want access to the Western Tennessee market or the Texas market?
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mtrout » Thu May 02, 2024 3:48 pm

You'll never have a hater doing better than you. -Goggins
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Sat May 04, 2024 1:48 pm

Memphis doesn't bring the media base of Dallas. Memphis doesn't 't bring the recruiting potential of Dallas. Memphis doesn't bring the academic prestige as SMU. Memphis is a dying city and Dallas isn't. There are more to conferences than just having a few successful football years.

I like Memphis State and their fans. But this is business, not a beauty contest.
ponyte

Return to Football