PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Grant Calcaterra returns to SMU for Master's Degree

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Grant Calcaterra returns to SMU for Master's Degree

Postby PonyPride » Mon May 13, 2024 5:29 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Former SMU and Super Bowl Athlete Receives Master’s at Simmons Ceremony

Playing in Super Bowl LVII is certainly a lifetime highlight for Philadelphia Eagles' Tight End Grant Calcaterra, but the former SMU Mustang says earning his master's degree is very high on that list as well.

Calcaterra received his Master's in Graduate Liberal Studies during the SMU Simmons School of Education and Human Development graduation ceremony on Friday, May 10. He said it was important for him and his family to travel from their home in California to Dallas for the ceremony.

"I worked hard to earn my degree, so I definitely was going to walk across that stage to get my diploma. Plus, I missed my undergraduate commencement due to COVID, so this means a lot to all of us, especially my mom."

One of his closest advisors, Dr. Kate Montgomery, Chair of the GLS program, said Calcaterra was four courses short of graduating when he left SMU for the NFL but assured her, he would come back to finish. According to Montgomery, "When the Eagles were in Dallas to play the Cowboys, Grant contacted me on an important game day to make plans to finish his degree in his spring off-season. That's how serious and top of mind it was for him."

Calcaterra, who was injured while playing at OU sat out a year and pursued a career as a firefighter in Los Angeles. He came back to football and spent his senior year as a Mustang. He says he is grateful to SMU Athletics and to his professors. "Not only did SMU take a chance on me, but my professors were also awesome and really worked with me. The GLS program allows students to customize their course plans which helped tremendously."

Calcaterra played for the Mustangs in 2021 and caught 38 passes for 465 yards and four touchdowns. In 2022 he was selected in the sixth round of the NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles. He has words of advice for college athletes. "I just encourage all college athletes to finish and get those degrees. It helps set you apart both on and off the field. You have to be prepared for life after football."

When he finally does hang up his cleats Calcaterra hopes to go back to firefighting, possibly in a leadership role.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football