PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor added to ‘25 and ‘26 schedules.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Baylor added to ‘25 and ‘26 schedules.

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed May 15, 2024 5:49 pm

PonyTime wrote:Last time I went to Waco for a game it was the last time SMU played in the old Floyd Casey stadium and it was 100+ degrees.

By the time SMU/ Notre Dame/ Chiefs Super Bowl legend Gehrig Dieter found the end zone for SMU I was probably at Georges having a Big O.

I was at that game. Remember it being so hot and a blowout.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby giacfsp » Wed May 15, 2024 9:35 pm

Waco is a pretty horrible destination ... but that drive home will be much nicer after an SMU win!
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Thu May 16, 2024 10:23 am

PNW_Stang wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Last time I went to Waco for a game it was the last time SMU played in the old Floyd Casey stadium and it was 100+ degrees.

By the time SMU/ Notre Dame/ Chiefs Super Bowl legend Gehrig Dieter found the end zone for SMU I was probably at Georges having a Big O.

I was at that game. Remember it being so hot and a blowout.

That was my first and only visit to Waco. Deflected passes on the first two plays of the game set the tone for a bad start that hot Sunday evening.

Oh well, at least I can say I saw a game at Floyd Casey Stadium. The first time I saw that stadium on TV, the game had a much different ending. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II61FRCYa7M
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Thu May 16, 2024 12:10 pm

They won't let anyone play in a thunderstorm these days. 8)
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Thu May 16, 2024 10:02 pm

I recall we beat Baylor there in a Rainstorm with Don King as our QB. We made an incredible comeback to win.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Peruna88 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:17 am

Arkpony wrote:I recall we beat Baylor there in a Rainstorm with Don King as our QB. We made an incredible comeback to win.

Speaking of Don King, met him last Friday before the rugby game at The Ballpark. He’s working security for the Rangers, saw my SMU shirt, and started a conversation. I introduced myself and was thrilled when he revealed who he was. Had a nice chat before we walked in. He was on the phone with former SMU RB Byron Collins at the time. Said he would be back on campus for homecoming for sure.
Peruna88
All-American

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Fri May 17, 2024 6:22 pm

BaylorHistory wrote:Awesome! Now let's do it again every year and convince TCU that the trivalry is a thing.

If SMU enters the ACC and gets to a bowl with at least a 7-5 record, TCU is going to know that it needs to play SMU. It could overlook SMU in CUSA or a weakened AAC, but not in the ACC.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyME » Fri May 17, 2024 7:40 pm

‘We’re DFW’s only P3 team’, I’m pretty sure we’ll be fine either way and the new Baylor series confirms that.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby ProfessorPony » Fri May 17, 2024 8:36 pm

A very good add tbh. Will be a tough matchup both times which will only help us come conference play and we can show everyone we truly are built to be in a top conference. Bring it on I say!

Also, first post and very glad to be here! Currently teach special education classes at a local community college and working on my Doctorate in that field now. How am I an SMU fan? Well, my girlfriend is an alumni and started watching because of her(Been over 6 years now!). We both hope to come to Dallas for a game this season or prob better chance just to go see the game at Wake next season as we live less than 20 minutes from their stadium haha.

Lastly I am sure a lot of Cowboys fans on here which is ok I suppose, but I am a fan of the Commanders, hope that is ok 8)

Cheers all.

P.S. Also a big Tar Heel basketball fan(Sorry) so my house will be divided when the game in Chapel Hill happens haha; may the best team win!
Whiskey lover
ProfessorPony

Postby peruna81 » Sun May 19, 2024 11:24 am

ProfessorPony wrote:A very good add tbh. Will be a tough matchup both times which will only help us come conference play and we can show everyone we truly are built to be in a top conference. Bring it on I say!

Also, first post and very glad to be here! Currently teach special education classes at a local community college and working on my Doctorate in that field now. How am I an SMU fan? Well, my girlfriend is an alumni and started watching because of her(Been over 6 years now!). We both hope to come to Dallas for a game this season or prob better chance just to go see the game at Wake next season as we live less than 20 minutes from their stadium haha.

Lastly I am sure a lot of Cowboys fans on here which is ok I suppose, but I am a fan of the Commanders, hope that is ok 8)

Cheers all.

P.S. Also a big Tar Heel basketball fan(Sorry) so my house will be divided when the game in Chapel Hill happens haha; may the best team win!

Welcome aboard, and grateful for the work you do for folks that will be serving a sometimes overlooked community. Commanders fan is fine, as long as you don't delve into the past heartache of memories of the Cowboys/Redskins games from the 1980s. Man that was a long decade...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:42 pm

Peruna88 wrote:
Arkpony wrote:I recall we beat Baylor there in a Rainstorm with Don King as our QB. We made an incredible comeback to win.

Speaking of Don King, met him last Friday before the rugby game at The Ballpark. He’s working security for the Rangers, saw my SMU shirt, and started a conversation. I introduced myself and was thrilled when he revealed who he was. Had a nice chat before we walked in. He was on the phone with former SMU RB Byron Collins at the time. Said he would be back on campus for homecoming for sure.
Great story. Don King was one great QB.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Previous

Return to Football