PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kincade

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Kincade

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:41 pm

How will he do compared to last season? His totals were great but not the YPC. In fact, at under 4 YPC it was not impressive.

This season other teams should not be able to stack the run as much and KK should get more help running the ball.

Will this result in a higher YPC? It needs to or there will be others taking carries from him.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Kincade

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:02 pm

You're absolutely right - the totals last season exceeded the YPC average. I would say that this year's total yardage should be about the same, but with the addition of FitzG (and Massey?) to the backfield and the new-look passing game with Bartel & Co., defenses will have to back off. KK is a year older and stronger, and should have a monstrous year, in my opinion. Either that, or defenses will be stacking 9 guys in the box and Bartel will make every list of breakout players in 2003 when he starts putting up huge numbers.

And with the re-vamped defenses we should face this year, KK will be fresher at the end of the year, because he will have taken fewer hits.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby Johnny Rock » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:19 pm

Although his YPC average was lower than many of the top running backs, his season was incredible. Especially early in the season, teams played the run. To keep games close, Bennett was forced to run even when other teams had their safeties near the line of scrimmage. Despite this, Kincade was still able to amase over 1,000 yards. I believe teams sole focus next season will be to stop our run. This will allow Bartel to have big passing games. It will be up to him to keep his turnovers down and make good decisions. Our receivers will see plenty of one on one coverage with no safety help like last year. We will have to take advantage of this and make big plays to stay competitive next season. Next season I would like to see Kincade and Fitzgerald run the ball. Massey needs to redshirt and he and his brother (assuming he signs with us) could possibly both start as freshmen together. If Kincade can duplicate what he did last season he should play in the NFL.
Johnny Rock

Postby OldPony » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:34 pm

YPC is an unreliable stat for a workhorse on a running team. If we have any passing attack, this stat will improve. KK did a great job with what we had last year. There aren't many backs who could do what we asked of him. RB isn't a problem on this team. QB is unproven against decent competition. The Oline needs to improve and the secondary needs vast improvement with some speed which can tackle. If we win 6, this will be a great year.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:44 pm

I agree that KK had to play uphill for his yards but Briggs managed 6.5 YPC.

I am hoping for great things this season from KK but others should get serious looks should he not manage to break out for long gains.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Corso » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:05 pm

Not to take anything away from Briggs - the man was a workhorse for us who endured a lot - but what would his average YPC be if we took out that one 90-something yarder he had in the last game?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:05 pm

...that's a little deceptive-off the top of my head I seem to remember a school record 99 yard TD in the last game of the year. That will inflate the YPC pretty quick.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SmooPower » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corso:
<B>Not to take anything away from Briggs - the man was a workhorse for us who endured a lot - but what would his average YPC be if we took out that one 90-something yarder he had in the last game?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SmooPower
Heisman

Return to Football