PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Any Word on the Tulane Presdients Conference call yet?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Any Word on the Tulane Presdients Conference call yet?

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:25 pm

Since the school presidents conference call is going on about now, how about one of you guys tapping in on their conversation and telling us what's up.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: Any Word on the Tulane Presdients Conference call yet?

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:28 pm

I wouldn't expect much. At most, I imagine they will report the resolve to have future meetings or discussions. All posturing. Although I like what this Cowen has to say publicly.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Higher Authority » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:38 pm

I haven't seen anything yet on the call. Think they'll release what was discussed?
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:22 pm

<A HREF="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2003/07/22/nonbcs_schools_ap/" TARGET=_blank>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2003/07/22/nonbcs_schools_ap/</A>
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:10 pm

Thanks GoRedGoBlue for the notice about the SI article. At least the process for reform has been intiated by a respected school. Here's to the Tulane Green Wave. I'm ready to join their fan club. Why didn't SMU do something like this instead of waiting for someone else to call for changes inthe BCS and the NCAA?
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:22 am

SamIAm: I am no expert on these matters. But, IMO, the reason SMU didn't 'take the lead' on this matter is because we're still trying to establish ourselves in the wake of the DP. In other words, would we (SMU) have had as much clout as Tulane? I don't think so. Tulane had nothing to lose. They were in jeopardy of losing their program altogether. This time it made sense for us to be a 'party to the action' as opposed to the 'petitioner'. I'm sure others may disagree.

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!
MrMustang1965

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:06 am

Plus Tulane went to a bowl last year, had a recent undefeated season, and they can raise the issue of 16 sports and 15,000 attendance because they are not on the cusp on those issues. The BCS schools which have slightly more votes than the non-BCS schools in the Division 1-A membership can push through this legislation anytime they want. Perhaps what the non-BCS schools should do is pursue a conference like the MEAC, SWAC, to switch to 1-A from 1-AA and then push through lots of legislation about academic progress,scholarship sports and attendance issues. If the BCS schools object to their addition those conferences can scream discrimination against black colleges.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PK » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:21 am

Here is the story from the DMN.

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/colleges/topstories/stories/072303dnspotulanelede.18c26.html" TARGET=_blank>www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/sports/colleges/topstories/stories/072303dnspotulanelede.18c26.html</A>
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Football