PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

In Defense of OSU and SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

In Defense of OSU and SMU

Postby Orange Ghost » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:34 pm

I attended the OSU game on Saturday and thought under the circumstances, Coach Miles was fair about trying to let Rashaun get the record. Miles never runs the score up on anyone, as he has substituted liberally in the second half in any game we are ahead in by more than three touchdowns. In last year's game, our starters only played one series in the second half against SMU. In fact, SMU made a nice comeback in the second half by scoring 16 points.

Last Saturday, many second string players were in the lineup by the second quarter, and almost the entire team was made up of third teamers by the last part of the third quarter. In fact, at one point, we had 8 freshmen playing defense in the fourth quarter.

SMU played hard, and though it's hard to deal with a loss like that, they showed me a lot of guts and fight. I think you'll win several games if you can fix your special teams. They are getting you killed right now. Some of your dlinemen are studs.

Rashaun broke a record that stood for 40 years. He is a class person, and I'm sorry it had to happen against SMU, but he deserved the chance to break it when things unfolded the way they did.
Orange Ghost

Re: In Defense of OSU and SMU

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:31 pm

Hey, thats a classy post, I commend you. One thing I would say about going for a record in that game though, is did it really mean anything? Will Woods be proud of that someday? Should he be? Look, our program is hurting right now. If Woods had the chance to break that record against Oklahoma, Nebraska or even Missouri, then thats one thing. We all saw that game for what it was by the end of the first quarter, an inept SMU offense and an SMU defense that had lost its composure because of special teams and poor field position. If Woods is the talent, competitor and class individual that you say he is, then that record accomplished in that way, doesn't mean very much.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:42 pm

Now Hoop Fan, I'm sure you think I am just trying to argue with you but thats not the case. However, I dont fault Miles at all for what he did. I think any coach would have done the same for a player like Woods. His first five touchdowns happened through the flow of the game. SMU loaded the box, therefore the deep ball to Woods made sense. At that point what Coach wouldnt want to help a player get the record? By doing so he improves Woods chances in the voting for the numerous awards he is up for, as well as helping his own program. You should actually commend a coach for doing that for a player, however it is unfortunate that it all happened against SMU. However, I think regardless of who it is against, Woods will be and should be proud of that record, he earned it and deserves it. We should be happy for him as well...
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:52 pm

WE should be happy for him? Are you kidding me? Is Bartel happy for him? I hope not. Is Jonas? No way. I'm sure Woods wanted the record because he was in the heat of battle. I understand the 8 men in the box arguement, but thats when a coach challenges his team to run the ball anyway, which probably helps his team develop more for the Big 12 schedule. Whatever, everybody has to do what they have to do. But if it was me I stop throwing deep up 31-0 and I hope the coach representing my university would do the same thing. We clearly disagree.
Hoop Fan

Postby Orange Ghost » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:02 pm

Hoop Fan,

I can understand your frustration. OSU fans have put up with more losing seasons than SMU will ever have in my lifetime. We have played second fiddle to OU for a long time, and any success we have on the gridiron is a welcomed relief. We are still rebuilding our program, and wins against anyone, still mean something to us, even against SMU.

Other teams have for years rubbed our faces in the dirt every chance they had, so it does feel good when we are able to play well, set records, and get some publicity for our players.

Good luck in the future, and I hope your team wins a few this season.
Orange Ghost

Postby gostangs » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:19 pm

Those are a couple of the better posts I have seen from an opposing fan -

I for one had no problem with OSU going for that record - it is not their job to hold back - this is not the YMCA. Bennett said so as well. Congrats on the record, sorry we will see SMU in the wrong side of the record books for a long time on that one. We will win several games this year - rest assured. And by the way - within 5 years if you are back on our schedule you better not look past us.
gostangs

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:32 pm

i echo these sentiments. i posted on sunday that we should remember how far ok state has come from the days as doormats of the big 8. i'm glad that ok state has been on our schedule and hope that it will stay there. i think it could be a cool rivalry in a few years if we can get our side of the field more competitive.

congrats to the young man on the record. he deserves recognition, not criticism, IMO.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby TulsaPoke » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:45 am

Actually, the original series contract was for 4 games with next years game to be in Stillwater and the following year back in Dallas. According to the Tulsa World, however, it looks like the next two games may not happen. I hope that Bennett and the higher ups at SMU change their minds, because I really enjoyed my trip down to Dallas and liked you stadium.
TulsaPoke

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:58 am

one of the best moves our administration has done in the last 20 yrs was schedule the ok st series (including tech) plain & simple!!!

there's more upside to playing them than any other team next to ark, a$m & texas which will never happen outside a bowl game.

if we go to c-usa, i'm sure that'll be the death to the series for sure - that's not good!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Football