PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What can we do to get C-USA invite

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What can we do to get C-USA invite

Postby 93Mustang » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:41 pm

Rather than speculate about abstract possibilities and scenarios, the time has come for the people on this board and other SMU fans to start taking active steps to help SMU get an invitation to C-USA. We need to start buying more season tickets, giving more money to the Mustang Club, attending all games, etc. I know this will be hard because our pathetic start makes it hard to get fired up about the games, but if we really want to get into a better situation (and I believe a regionally split C-USA would be better for us) we need to be proactive as SMU fans. This appears to be our last shot at a better situation and it also appears to be a possibility. Rather than [deleted] about what Copeland and the administration is or is not doing, let's start buying as many FB season tickets as we can between now and the time the decision is made. Let's also let the school and C-USA know that we're excited about this potential opportunity and that we want to play teams like UH, TCU, Tulane, etc. rather than Boise St. While these efforts may ultimately fail, let's try to help SMU improve its situation. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but let's do something so we don't get left behind again.
93Mustang
Junior Varsity

Re: What can we do to get C-USA invite

Postby Vitale » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:09 pm

Your most important idea there is to buy more tickets and bring more people to games. Unless you're sitting on a big wad of cash - in which case you should have a bunch of season tickets already - you not only need to buy tickets (and show up at the games), but you also need to convince your friends, co-workers, relatives, etc., to buy tickets.

Two approaches here. Buy an extra pair of tickets to each game. Bring a different pair of friends to each game. But that runs the risk of someone just enjoying a nice outing to a beautiful stadium and then going away. So maybe you want to bring the SAME friends to multiple games, so they develop an attachment to the Ponies, or to particular players. Maybe they'll swoon over the cheerleaders, or be inspired by the Mustang band, or they'll identify with a particular player. A friend of mine brought his wife to SMU games, and she decided her favorite player was Chris Cunningham. Now she's the one who wears SMU stuff every Saturday (even though she didn't go to SMU) and she's the one who renews their season tickets when the form arrives in the mail.

Target a few people who enjoy football and a gameday atmosphere, and bring them to the Boulevard and the game. Get in the stadium for kickoff, scream your lungs out for the Ponies and stay for the whole game, win or lose. Maybe the enthusiasm will wear off on your guests. Surely it'll help the team.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Nacho » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:23 pm

8 of us came to the last game. I may get a few to come back. All said the MB performance after the game was the best part of the night. If we get blown out by Nevada I am going to hate to seeing the UTEP crowd. We need a win bad.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:01 pm

I had a choice of either going to Waco to see my alma mater, Sam Houston State, play Baylor or going to Dallas to see SMU against OSU. I chose SMU over my alma mater even though I had been to Waco the week before to see the Mustangs against the Bears. I had 12 tickets to the SMU game given to me by a good friend and Mustang Club member. I gave 8 of them to some OSU fans who are friends of my girlfriend. She, her two daughters and I sat at the 50 yd. line. (She has 4 season tickets, too. She also gave those to some friends.) I'll be getting the same allotment of tickets to the UTEP game in two weeks. I know I'll be at that game because SHSU has a 'bye' that week! Although the OSU game was a 'blow out', I was still yelling my lungs out up to the end!!! GO MUSTANGS!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!" S.M.U. SPIRIT: IT STARTS NOW!

[This message has been edited by MrMustang1965 (edited 09-24-2003).]
MrMustang1965

Postby PK » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:22 pm

I didn't like the out come of the game with OSU, but I still enjoyed being at a college game and the atmosphere that comes with it. I probably wouldn't go to just any college game, but they all are more appealing to me than going to an over-priced pro game. That's one thing that does bother me with the marketing folks and that is the loud piped in music in the stadium when we could instead be listening to the Mustang Band and the cool Mustang Alumni Band. I think we should continue to make the college game separate and different from what you find at the pro games. I will bring that up with them personally and not just on this board. Feel free to join me.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 09-24-2003).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby ponyboy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:27 pm

I've heard several comments that the music isn't family friendly. I hesitate taking my 8, 5, and 2 year olds to the games as I don't want AC/DC running through their heads. I feel like I'm at a Stars game (which I won't take them to either).

[This message has been edited by ponyboy (edited 09-24-2003).]
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:07 pm

"Dude looks like a lady."
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:13 pm

what can we do to get an invite? Start by finding the money to pay what undoubtedly will be a huge entrance fee!
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:53 pm

Well, I did my part and bought a couple season tickets the week before the Alamo aka OK St. game. They're almost end-zone tickets, and priced the same.

Seems, I had to. If you're just the average alumnus, and like to come to the SMU game on
Saturdays most of the time, and sit in section 209 almost end-zone you'll pay +$11 OK St., +$3 UTEP, +3 Boise St., + 7 Fresno St., Rice +$7, and TCU +$11 for not buying a season END ZONE ticket. I paid $90 for all 6 games $15/ticket, and can use the tickets to take DART rail down from Plano to save 35 miles round trip each trip on my Panoz G-Force Indy car. Well, we did have a fast 2 cycle engine go-cart as I was growing up.

Seems we've been Dopelanded again. When we need cheap tickets to put people in the stands to make 15000/game they raise the cheap zone ticket prices. Methinks they'll catch mostly Mustang fans who won't be coming back any time soon. Not the OK St. fans they caught by surprise.

My brother, and I got $12 TCU vs. SMU end-zone tickets last year just minutes after watching Sam Hornish Jr., and Helio Castroneves qualify about 15 miles north of Froggie Stadium for free!!.

Yep, we were back the next day to Sam win the Indy car championship.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ponyboy:
<B>I've heard several comments that the music isn't family friendly. I hesitate taking my 8, 5, and 2 year olds to the games as I don't want AC/DC running through their heads. I feel like I'm at a Stars game (which I won't take them to either).

[This message has been edited by ponyboy (edited 09-24-2003).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw, the music's good! Not too loud, and just jumbled enough that your kids shouldn't be able to hear the lyrics, anyway.
Swamp Gas
Junior Varsity

Return to Football