PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A little Mustang trivia

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A little Mustang trivia

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:11 pm

now that I've entered the exclusive 1000+ posts club, time to have a little fun to take everyone's mind off the fact we are 19 pt underdogs again this weekend.

Anyone close to my age will know these pretty easily:

1) before the Pony Express, SMU had a tandem of RBs known as the M&M Boys. Can you name them? bonus points if you can name the NFL teams they played for.

2) in that same time frame, an SMU QB was our leading rusher one year. Who was he?

3) who was the SMU football coach whose practice of paying players for special team "hits", fumble recoveries, etc...lead to yet another probation for the ponies?

4) name the all-SWC MLB who was known to his frat bros as "bubble butt". hint: his cousin was a TE who also played football at SMU

5) name the SMU hoops big man who was also one of the last power hitting first basemen ever to wear a Mustang baseball uniform

Those are just a few of my memories from my days on the hilltop. Anyone care to date themselves?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: A little Mustang trivia

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:35 pm

OK off the top of my head-1)M&M were Alvin Maxson(Saints) and Wayne Morris(Cardinals)2) Ricky Wesson, 3) Dave Smith, 4) and 5) I'm not sure-didn't Clayton Kover(the Animal) also play baseball-maybe Oscar Roan-I don't remember many All-SWC LBs during that time except for Putt Choate, Sherwood Blount and perhaps David Bostick before he moved to FB but I can't remember a cousin for any of them.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 09-25-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:26 pm

Sherwood Blount was known as "bubblebutt", but was not Ralph his brother, not his cousin?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:33 pm

looks like #5 could be the stumper. Ralph and Sherwood were cousins, unless I've gone senile and don't remember my frat bros...it's certainly possible.

Clayton wasn't a baseball player, although his brother played football for the Raiders and I always thought the "animal" could have played TE at SMU. Oscar came along a year or two later. Not sure if he and Clayton played together, but that could lead to another trivia question: who was the 1st black bball player that Bob Prewitt recruited to SMU? (an Illinois JC guy)

Another hint on #5. His frosh roommate was Mike Hanks, who went on to coach hoops at S.Alabama
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:35 am

I'm pretty sure I think I know #5. I'd probally go for it in Who Wants To Be A
Millionaire on the last question.

My cousin was on a baseball team of his, and the guy in question beaned an opponent pretty bad by accident.

It has to be Mike Livingston, and I saw him play at QB against Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl in 67.

I knew the other questions too, so where's my million?
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:48 am

OK Livinston never played Basketball so that can't be it-must be Ruben Tripplet who I know was a JC BB player and a "Big Man".
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:04 am

Rusty Bourquein was the two sport big man I was looking for. He was a power hitting 1st baseman for the Mustangs when he wasn't playing in the low post at Moody.

Triplett was the 1st black bball signee, followed shortly thereafter by Sammy Hervey, as I recall. I think Oscar Roan was signed as a football TE, but became another two sport guy at SMU.

You're good, BUT I didn't think you were quite as old as I am. I was a "soph advisor" in the frosh dorm and Rusty and Mike were on my floor.

Now: for my final two questions:

Who was the "Joe Namath wannabe" who arrived from California wearing white shoes and was immediately labeled as SMU's next great QB? (that never turned out to be) hint: he later returned to Hollywood where he dated Vana White and worked as a stunt man.

Who was the young upstart QB who lead the Ponies on a memorable 1-1-1 road trip to Florida (W), Penn State (T), and Ohio State (L) that his coach had wanted to schedule because those states, next to Texas, were such fertile recruiting grounds? And who was his coach?
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:34 am

I will concede the Blounts were cousins. I have that sometimers disease that hits me now and then. I was 2nd team BEHIND Sherwood until injured so I can personally attest to the "bubblebutt" nickname.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyte » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:56 am

I am not sure about the California question but my best guess would be Mike Hennesy (sp?). He sure was a Joe Willie wannabe.

The 1-1-1 QB was Mike Ford and the coach was Ron Meyers.
ponyte

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:42 am

I remember the Joe Willie wannabe, but can't remember his name. When Smith came aboard and installed the wishbone, this fella left. If I recall, he had quite the love for hemp and he hung around with a fellow hemp afficionado on my floor.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BUS » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:29 am

So... Charleston Pony is a KE.
AEKDB
GSS
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:17 pm

Answers for CP:

Casey Ortez and Mike Ford
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:18 pm

Answers for CP:

Casey Ortez and Mike Ford
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:31 pm

good job, HEB and George, thought you knew I was in the same frat as the late "Old Mustang", Memphis aka H-T-L, Sherwood and Ralph "Finch" Blount. Hope to see you and the gang for the UTEP game.
Charleston Pony

Return to Football