PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Comedy of Errors

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Comedy of Errors

Postby i10pony » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:16 pm

If SMU played Trinity or Abeline Christian it would be a good game. Was listening to Bennet before the game.He was commenting on how he makes bad coaching decisions. I don't if he is the guy to right the ship .
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Re: Comedy of Errors

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:49 pm

That brings up a question. From a student's or player's standpoint, is it better to be at a Division 2 school in the nation's top ten or a Division 1 team in the lower third?
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:09 pm

That's it. I'm leaping off a tall building. UTEP, folks... is beating the crap out of us. Our o-line is playing like a high school team. Our defense is absolute ****e. We're giving up big plays.. TO UTEP!!!!! Wow, and KK.. did no one teach him to switch ball hands BEFORE the tackler is right on his [deleted]? THESE ARE COACHING ERRORS. I'm really going to start questioning Bennett at this point. Navy just beat Air Force today. We're struggling, making stupid mental mistakes against one of the worst teams in the country.

Offense- we're executing, but the recievers are dropping every other ball. Bartel looked great on TV.. although his throwing technique looked a little sloppy. The fumbling is out of control. Jonas has been the bright spot tonite. THATS IT. This is disasterous. I give up.

Is our secondary the slowest group of athletes in the country or what? WOW. BOO. This is crap football.

This should be a huge wakeup call.
Bennett needs to get these kids prepared better than this. Horrible. I'm out.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:42 pm

We can still win this.. the offense is looking better. We're destroying UTEP's special teams, but we're just not capitalizing. 21-19.. here we come. This should have been a blowout...but I guess I'll take a close win if we can pull it off, right?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:13 pm

*vomits*

what a sorry [deleted] excuse for a football team
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby i10pony » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:31 pm

Pony Pa,
I really don't care right now if SMU is bad [deleted] at D1AA, DII, DIII. I think SMU can only compete at the NAIA DIII level. We'll be a national power house at that level.I'm out.
i10pony
Junior Varsity

Postby SamGotti » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:36 pm

I'm even starting to miss Cavan! :p
SamGotti

Postby SMU4u2000 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:41 pm

I am so sick of hearing that SMU is waiting for the perfect recruiting class; experience. It is obvious that SMU has players who are waiting for an experienced head coach. Bennett is not a leader. Nice guy? OK. Maybe. Would any other D1 team hire him? his brother?
SMU4u2000
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:58 pm

I'm really starting to doubt this man's coaching abilities. Maybe a Snyder assistant wasn't the best way to go.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby echothat1 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:44 pm

First, we need a new A.D...then, we need commitment from school leadership and alumni to go out and get a coach who would NEVER EVEN THINK ABOUT COMING TO SMU...in a million years...

We've got the money...we need a Jimmy Johnson, a Terry Bowden, a Skip Holz (although Lou would've been nice 2 years ago)...hell, a Jerry Denardo even (ok, I take that back)...

We need someone who can recruit, who can motivate and who can COACH!!! We need a coach who can put a lot points on the board...not this BS RUN..RUN..RUN..RUN...RUN...RUN...

Jimmy Johnson has a number, everyone has a number that could get em here...JJ could recruit in TX and in FL...he can coach...he's got NFL connections...PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO COME HERE AND PLAY FOR HIM!!!

Imagine this...ok, maybe in my wildest dreams...but just humor me....We ask Bennett to step aside, but stay on as Defensive Coordinator and go out and get Jimmy Johnson...we pay JJ $2M a year for 2-3 years to recruit, motivate and turn this team around...then after 2-3 years, we turn it back over to Bennett...who by then has hopefully learned a thing or two about OFFENSE. We're back in the saddle again...we're C-USA champs...we're ranked in the top 25...TCU looks like a red-headed stepchild...aaaahhhhh, that's the ticket...just dream a little dream!!!

Gosh, I make myself laugh sometimes...
echothat1
Scout Team

Postby True Colors » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:48 pm

Bob Stoops was a Snyder assistant.

So was Kirk Ferentz from Iowa, if I'm not mistaken.

I'd have to go back and check, but I think that there have been several of them who turned out pretty well.

TC
www.baylor.rivals.com
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby Otto » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm

Originally posted by ProudPonyPa:
.... is it better to be at a Division 2 school in the nation's top ten or a Division 1 team in the lower third?
Div. I-A - only choice. If we were to drop down, Ford Stadium would be a place for folks in the federal witness protection program. You think it's hard to get people out now, try competing at a level that means nothing. Tonight hurt every SMU fan alive, myself included. But if we dropped to DII or DIII, we'd have smaller crowds than Rush Limbaugh speaking at an NAACP meeting.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Return to Football