PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hello, Charleston Pony

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hello, Charleston Pony

Postby graypony » Sun Nov 26, 2000 8:55 pm

I always appreciate your posts. Also, you always seem to remember #98 and ask about him. As a parent, that is very much appreciated in this most frustrating fall of our discontent.

After having to sit out his first year because of surgery required to repair a previously undiagnosed shoulder injury, JD was very excited for two a days to get started. On the second day, he sustained a posterior cruciate ligament strain. This put him out for 6 weeks, but he got into some action against NCStU.

When Lute Croy was hurt, same injury, it looked like JD was going to see a little more action at which time he promptly reinjuied his knee in practice before the next game. Thus, out for another 2 or 3 weeks.

By this time he had missed so much, that it was hard to catch up, especially when the team is not in full pads and is geared to preparing for the next opponent with the personal that is healthy and experienced.

When Chase Schavrda was moved to DE, he was moved up and told that he would get his chance for some playing time during the week of the Nevada game. He was pumped and excited that he would finally get to realize his dream when on that Tuesday, he broke his hand. This required surgery and effectively ended his already, nightmarish season.

It was really frustrating for him to feel like he could help the team and never be healthy enough to do so. We keep encouraging him because we feel like he has 3 great years of opportunity in front of him. It's like he has been in off season for 2 years now.

He will not give up and neither will his mother and I. The Mustangs are going to win, go to a bowl, and bring the excitement back to the hilltop. I really believe that.

Thanks for being a great fan. BTW, I'm a great fan of Charleston. Being a history buff, I took the walking tour with my wife of historical Charleston 3 or 4 years ago when we were staying at the Isle of Palm for a meeting. It will go down as one of my most favorite afternoons. I would love to go back and get in some golf. Charleston and the low country of SC around Buford & Savannah are two of my most favorite areas to visit.

I will tell you what I told Bball when we parted at one of the disappointing games in Ford this fall: KEEP THE FAITH!!

[This message has been edited by graypony (edited 11-26-2000).]
graypony
Junior Varsity

Re: Hello, Charleston Pony

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Nov 26, 2000 9:03 pm

Graypony --

You and your wife are to be commended for your attitude and faith, and all PonyFans are eagerly awaiting JD's performance next season. I've had the chance to meet him once, and he's a fine young man. We're all pulling for him, and we need more Mustangs like him and more PonyFans like you. See you at some hoops games?
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 28, 2000 12:23 am

Thanks for the update, GP. As tough as this year has been, I feel for all Pony players, their parents, our coaches, etc...

I know the people that peruse these message boards are true fans of SMU and I appreciate all of them, but it's easy for people to get carried away and forget "the golden rule". I'm amazed at all the hate that spews at times. I met Joyous 9-2-2000 although we didn't get to talk much. Would have enjoyed meeting you and any other Pony parents who remain so dedicated to "the cause".

I hope this team keeps it's resolve and continues to improve. I remember our '92 team exacting a measure of revenge beating Houston for our Homecoming game after having been humiliated 95-21 their Frosh year. I get a tremendous vicarious pleasure from moments like those. This group is "set up" to enjoy some of those moments.

I appreciate your Charleston comments. We've been here 7 yrs (in the insurance claims business and have lived 4 places since SMU years). Must say that Charleston and Durham, N.C. rank as my favorites. Live very close to IOP (near Snee Farm CC). Great area for golf.

Keep encouraging J.D. and make sure he's doing the same for his teammates!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:53 am

Charleston-

I lived in Durham for about 6 months. Where did you live there. I also ventured to Charleston and really enjoyed the town. In fact, I bought my lab puppy there...well actually in John's Island.

Thanks for all of your support.

Carson

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 28, 2000 8:57 am

PFM: I lived there between '87-'91, during Duke's 4 yr run at the Final Four. Was a great time to live in Durham. We lived in a neighborhood called Heather Glen in northern Durham County, near Willowhaven CC.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football