PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Greatness recognized

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Greatness recognized

Postby PonyTales » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:01 pm

Kudos to ESPN, which ran a nice historical piece today on Doak Walker. Listening to the tributes and comments, you couldn't help but get chills. Ricky Williams said, while accepting his Heisman Trophy, that it was particularly special because it was the 50th anniversary of Doak Walker winning his. Bobby Layne, at Doak's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction, called Walker "the best player I've ever played with and the greatest clutch player to ever play football."

And with the character and class that we all have grown accustomed to from Doak, he thanked Bobby Layne - not for presenting him at the Hall of Fame or for being a great teammate or anything, but for being his friend for so many years. That's all that was important to him.

A really beautiful piece by ESPN. I really hope someone happened to record it.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Greatness recognized

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:45 am

Oh man, I'm sorry I missed that. If anyone by chance has a copy, let me know. If nothing else, I'd be happy to borrow (and of course return) the tape and type out a transcript of the whole thing.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Return to Football