PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Another reason to cheer for the Comet

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Another reason to cheer for the Comet

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:42 am

As if we needed any more reasons ....

Check out the Picture of the Day on the homepage. Chris Phillips is taking off on one of his long runs downfield. And there's Cunningham, laying a block downfield on a DB.

Comet's a fifth-year senior. He hasn't had enough balls thrown his way. The season has been frustrating for the whole team, but I bet for him personally, too.

Would anyone have said anything if Comet had just let Phillips run downfield on his own and fend for himself? "He's a big, strong, fast QB - he can take care of himself." Nope - that's not the way Cunningham does things. He has ALWAYS put the SMU team ahead of himself. I hope he's passed that thought process on to the young guys who are returning.

I'll repeat what I've said before: Chris Cunningham is one of the greatest Mustangs I've ever seen. I'll miss watching him play, but I wish him nothing but success in the future.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re: Another reason to cheer for the Comet

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:08 am

I am happy that "the Comet" has a place in the SMU record books, but, I guess I have missed something...I remember and SAW Jerry leVias' impact, FELT it, ET (that's Emanuel Tolbert for MOST of the folks here on this forum..) was SUPER, real clutch, Mike Ford to ET was awesome to watch, and like Jerry, ET was a little guy, but strong....Ron Morris was exciting AFTER he caught the ball, and ET & JL WHERE ALL AMERICANS, Ron Morris played in bowls and for championships, the comet, nice kid, talented, but I guess it must of been the "quietest" record building in the history of Mustang football, I thought he was a good player, but I had NO idea he was climbing the ladder, sort of wierd, in a strange way, kind of like "lord J", what else did WE do....?? Long Live Chris Cunningham!! :hmm:
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:37 am

Chris is a good kid and has obviuosly caught a lot of balls for SMU. But, I hear what you are saying. We, the fans, remember the wins, the big games, the success. Like Sasser, Chris C has been around during a time when the TEAM suck$, consequently, the "records" do seem a little bit surprising. We remember Jerry, Ron Morris, ET, and even J Wolf, Gary Hammond, Ken Fleming, Glen Gregory a little more, better teams, nationally ranked (I thing Glen was a top 10 guy, as was JL / ET), heck, I remember Mick Rossley as a top 10er... more exciting times, IMPACT!
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Postby Joyous » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:11 pm

I missed the picture. I was out of town at a conference in DC. Hope all is well and please do something about that weather in Dallas for this weekend. It is FREEZING here in Houston, so I can only imagine what it is like in Dallas. Everyone take care and Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Joyous
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:13 pm

Originally posted by Joyous:
I missed the picture. I was out of town at a conference in DC. Hope all is well and please do something about that weather in Dallas for this weekend. It is FREEZING here in Houston, so I can only imagine what it is like in Dallas. Everyone take care and Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
l

Don't worry, Joyous. I think the weather in Dallas this Saturday will be more comfortable than it is right now.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football