PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Chance Mock to transfer

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Chance Mock to transfer

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:23 am

espn.com has an article about him exploring his options after the season. Why not here? We're close and need a qb.

I doubt it would work though. I think he's a sophmore and has already redshirted. I guess he'll have to look at D-IAA schools or maybe just play a year somewhere.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Re: Chance Mock to transfer

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:25 am

Actually the article lists him as a junior. Are we considered D-IAA yet?
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby KnuckleStang » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:26 am

I heard he's interested in Delaware and Umass.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:33 am

He's just negotiating - UT will up their offer and he will stay.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MizterTea » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:29 pm

Mock could be a great QB - but his alleged top-rated O-line can't open holes for his alleged top-rated RB. Without a running game, he has no "chance" to showcase his incredible arm. They have to play Young, simply so they have SOME kind of running attack.

But I doubt Mock will transfer if he can get the playing time he needs to show the scouts his stuff
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:48 pm

I in no way doubt Mock's ability, but I met him recently and even though he is listed a 6'2" I find it hard to believe he is over 6' tall. You would never guess that he was a quarterback by his appearance, and I have some hesitation as to whether he will have the size and mobility to make it professionally.

Again, I am not doubting his college ability and was most impressed in his showing against TT. By the way, he seems to be a very nice and polite young man also.

This is also in no way a remark about trying to get him to SMU. Trust me, he will not condsider us if he does decide to leave.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:02 pm

his Dad is one of the greatest players in TT history and coached at TT with Bill Parcells when both were at Tech. If he stayed Division 1A I'd bet on Tech.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Mike Damone » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:04 pm

Yeah, but don't you have to sit out two years if you transfer in the conference. Or am I crazy?

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:35 pm

Oh yeah forgot about that. That's a conference rule that the SWC has-the Big 12 probably does too.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:48 pm

There are also 'rumors' (and that's ALL they are!) that Dustin Long will transfer to Sam Houston State (Div.1-AA, Southland Conf.) this fall. Similar to what Josh McCown did when he transferred from SMU to SHSU in 2001. Immediate opportunity to play.

<small>[ 11-25-2003, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: MrMustang1965 ]</small>
MrMustang1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:11 pm

From today's Houston Chronicle:

University of Texas quarterback Chance Mock has opened the door to a possible transfer at the end of the season, his father Mike Mock said Tuesday.

But the elder Mock said any such decision is too far from being a reality to have created the stir that it has in the Longhorns community.

"There's no juicy deal to it," Mike Mock said. "It's what anybody else would do if they were sitting in the situation that he's sitting in.

"He wants to stay at Texas. He wants to graduate, get his T ring, do the Senior Day thing with his parents and go to the banquet and be on stage with all the seniors. Chance loves the University of Texas."

But Mike Mock said his son's desire to play professional football could lead him to leave Texas because the opportunity to play more elsewhere might outweigh his desire to be at Texas.

As was the case when the redshirt junior from The Woodlands picked Texas over Texas A&M, and described it as a "business decision," Mock might look at his future and decide it would be best to showcase his talents as a starter.

After sitting on the bench for three years, Mock started the first six games this season but was displaced by redshirt freshman Vince Young following UT's loss to Oklahoma.

After sitting for 58 minutes, Mock led UT to a touchdown and a dramatic 43-40 win over Texas Tech on Nov 15. He has completed 57.7 percent of his passes (86-of-149) with 15 TDs and just two interceptions. If he had enough pass attempts to qualify, his passing efficiency rating would rank No. 7 in the nation.

But Young has played well and is within reach of becoming the first UT quarterback, and third NCAA freshman, to pass and throw for 1,000 yards in a season.

"Vincent is a great ballplayer, so it has nothing to do with Vincent, nothing at all," Mike Mock said. "It's about what do you do after you graduate. It's like any other business deal, you have to sit down and look at your options. It may be the best deal is for him to stay at Texas."

Mike Mock emphasized that if the decision had to be made now, his son would remain a Longhorn, and he is "completely focused" on Texas' game at Texas A&M on Friday.

Texas coach Mack Brown would not address the subject after Tuesday's practice as the sixth-ranked Longhorns (9-2) prepared for Texas A&M (4-7).

Mike Mock has made a couple of inquiries into transfer guidelines but not to a specific school. Chance Mock, who wasn't available for comment Tuesday, could not transfer to a Division I-A school and be eligible next season. Because he has used a redshirt year and has only one year of eligibility remaining, Mock would need to go to a Division I-AA school for his final year, and he would be eligible to play next season.

"There's been no contacts -- I have contacted nobody, and nobody has contacted me," Mike Mock said. "Chance isn't even involved in this at this point. I have friends in the business, and I asked some questions, and evidently some of those questions got out."

Texas A&M quarterback Dustin Long, one of the state's top quarterback recruits the year Mock graduated from high school, said Tuesday he is returning to A&M next year.

"Yeah. I'll be here," Long said. "I've got that question a bunch lately. Any time you have two quarterbacks like me and Reggie (McNeal) -- and I haven't got that much of a chance to play this year -- everyone's going to ask you if you're going to do this and that.

"But I look at this as an opportunity to stay here and get a good education and go from there."

Last year, Long passed for 2,509 yards and 19 TDs. The 2,509 yards ranked No. 2 on the A&M single-season list, and he passed for 300-plus yards in three games, setting a school record, and threw for seven touchdowns against Texas Tech to set another school mark.

This year, he entered the season in a neck-and-neck battle with McNeal, a sophomore, but didn't play against Utah in the second game of the season and has been a backup ever since. He has attempted more than eight passes in only two games, but was a super sub against Missouri, completing 23 of 29 passes for 252 yards and one TD after McNeal came out because of an undisclosed illness or injury.

A&M coach Dennis Franchione said Long, who has led three or fewer possessions in seven of A&M's 11 games and sat out two games, would play against UT.

"I think we're going into this game with the full intention that Dustin will play," Franchione said. "He may play more or he may play less, but as coaches we believe that based on practice and the last game, he will play."
MrMustang1965

Postby SMUFan » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:56 pm

Sounds like a reporter got to Dad before his son and his son's coaches could remind him to keep his mouth shut. The family might well want him to transfer so he can pursue his pro dream, but if he's barely 6 feet, as mrydel suggests, it doesn't matter what school he goes to or how many passes he throws, unless he can run AND throw like Michael Vick. And we know he can't do either.

Translation: hello CFL or NFL Europe. And after a season of that, hello high school coaching career.

<small>[ 11-26-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: SMUFan ]</small>
SMUFan
All-American

Return to Football