PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Congratulations on a great game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Congratulations on a great game

Postby WobbleFrog » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:11 pm

Hey Ponies, what a terrific game at Ford today. Your guys played their hearts out and dang near won. That Phillips kid is a keeper! I am thinking that you guys will get turned around real early next season. Um, lets see, when is that TCU/SMU game next year? Anyway, I still think Bennett may be your guy, pretty good game plan today.
WobbleFrog

Re: Congratulations on a great game

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:32 pm

Thanks for your good sportsmanship Wobblefrog. Good luck in your bowl game.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby pony91 » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:47 pm

Thanks Wobble-Congrats on a great season
pony91
Scout Team

Postby Pigskin Frog » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:14 pm

It would be easy for me to claim TCU was down and all that. But facts are, we didn't beat the pants off anybody this year -- and this was no different.

While I am frustrated that this team had to go to the wire again, I have to give credit where credit is due.

Mustangs played their butts off! The game was close because of the way SMU played -- not because of the way TCU didn't play.

Congratulations to the Mustangs. After that performance, it should be much easier for them to get through the offseason.
Pigskin Frog

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:02 pm

Thanks Wobble! Congrats on a great season over at TCU! Im thinkin that SMU vs TCU game next season is the first game on SMU's schedule? Atleast from my understanding it is!! Do good in your bowl game!!

Congrats Mustangs on a steller game!! God nothing to be sad or ashamed about!!!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Diehard Pony » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:51 pm

Just got home as I had to take my wife to dinner and a movie after the game.

I saw a total turnaround in the team today, and it was very special to witness. I wish the seniors could have tasted victory in this final game, but rest assured their contributions have laid the groundwork for the future.

Everything looked better, from the defensive and offensive gameplans, to the execution of both. Motivation was there for the full 60 minutes.

Whoever is the JC QB better be prepared for a major battle at that position as Chris Phillips has improved his level of play exponentially since he took over as the starter.

I never thought I would walk out of a stadium optimistic after posting a 0-12 record for the season, but it happened today at Ford.

Great job guys, and congrats to TCU. The rivalry is alive.

<small>[ 11-29-2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Diehard Pony ]</small>
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby Silk » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:04 pm

Hell yes, the rivalry is alive. Going into today, the series between the schools was tied. The score of today's game was tied with about 7 minutes to go. No more talk of "TCU's too good to be in the same conference with little ol' SMU." Little ol' SMU damn-near pulled the upset today. I heard Coach Patterson was complaining after the game that TCU wasn't getting respect, and that he was upset because ESPN ripped him. They barely beat a winless team! And you can call it a road game, but it was a half an hour from home, and there were a ton of Frogs there. This was basically a home game for a "ranked" team that squeaked past a team going through the roughest of growing pains. TCU should fall in the rankings after today. Not to say we're better -- we didn't win the game. But the difference between their 11-1 team and our 0-12 guys is smaller than a lot of us thought.

Thanks again to the Ponies, who fought like warriors today. You made all PonyFans proud of you.
Silk
Varsity

Postby MizterTea » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:06 am

Originally posted by Silk:
But the difference between their 11-1 team and our 0-12 guys is smaller than a lot of us thought.
I LOVE THE SPIRIT and finally we have something to be optimistic about... but some of you suckas seem to be prone to use a little excess hyperbole about this game today
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby peruna26 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:58 am

This was quite possibly my proudest moment as a SMU fan, certainly in the post-DP era. This team never quit the entire game. Everyone talks about the two 3rd down penalties that allowed TCU to run out the clock, but also think about how different the game might have been if Parker holds on to that interception on the previous TCU drive (TCU scored the winning points only two plays later). Regardless, it was a thrilling game that had me clapping my hands until they bled! If you wonder how a Las Vegas Resident spends his Thanksgiving vacation, I can't think of a better place. Can you?
Mustang Fan 1968->Till The Day I Die!
peruna26

Postby HighfalutinHorse » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:58 am

"Proudest moment post DP"?? You were not at the UConn game? '89 Arkansas struggle? Vandy '90? '92 season...W's over NTSU, NM, tcu (stopped SWC losing streak) UH W!!, and of course, another Arkansas W...?? #7 Aggie Tie in '94, GREAT GAMES over the years Versus North Carolina, Wisconsin, down ONLY 14-7 at the half v. UT in '89, ALL the Arkansas W's, etc., etc...???? This was certainly a nice effort, but.......what's that yellow flag?? Long Live KK.
HighfalutinHorse
Scout Team

Postby geno » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:36 am

Hey, Silk, you say the difference between an 11-1 team and a 0-12 team is smaller than you thought. If they teach math at SMU, they would tell you that the difference is eleven victories for the first team, and no victories and twelve defeats for the second team. Does that clear it up for you?
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:24 am

Hey guido - I'd say it is a lot murkier then you think when the supposed "Best team in Texas" gets a couple of lucky breaks to beat a winless SMU. As everyone but a few clueless Froggies can see - TCU just ain't as good as they think. Now run along and figure out which bowl you will be thumped in.
gostangs

Postby gostangs » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:32 am

By the way - to Wobblefrog and Pigskin frog - thanks for congrats posts -it was a fun game and has the Pony faithful looking forward to next years game - and gave as alittle hope in a tough year.
gostangs

Postby peruna26 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:17 am

Originally posted by HighfalutinHorse:
"Proudest moment post DP"?? You were not at the UConn game? '89 Arkansas struggle? Vandy '90? '92 season...W's over NTSU, NM, tcu (stopped SWC losing streak) UH W!!, and of course, another Arkansas W...?? #7 Aggie Tie in '94, GREAT GAMES over the years Versus North Carolina, Wisconsin, down ONLY 14-7 at the half v. UT in '89, ALL the Arkansas W's, etc., etc...???? This was certainly a nice effort, but.......what's that yellow flag?? Long Live KK.
To be perfectly frank, there were at least two reasons why I stated my beleifs as to this being the proudest moment 'post-DP'

1) Living as I do in Las Vegas, I don't get the chance to see the Mustangs very often. I flew down to Dallas for this game. There just seems, somehow, to be a little more stature given to a game witnessed in person. As opposed to TV etc.

2) The atmosphere involved. Remember, we're talking about an SMU team that had been beaten 41-06 and 41-20 in their previous two games. Of course I realize that this is a rivalry game, however remember that we were facing a supposedly angry TCU team that in the previous week had not only lost their undefeated season, chance at a BCS Bid, but also the Conf-USA title. To see the Mustangs play as they did against that backdrop was truly inspiring. As to your suggestions for alternatives to TCU 2003, I would probably put beating Houston in 1992 41-16, having lost to them only 3 years earlier by the score of 95-21, as #2 'post-DP'. Let's remember that this a VERY personal topic.
Mustang Fan 1968->Till The Day I Die!
peruna26

Return to Football