PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Well I guess I should have expected that

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Well I guess I should have expected that

Postby Diehard Pony » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:46 pm

the DMN's coverage of the game focused on the negative of going 0-12, rather than lauding what was a remarkable and emotionally played game...to me that was the story.

The fact that it was one of the best, if not the best, "rivalry game" played this year was also a major theme.

While we deserved a lot of negative coverage throughout the season, this was clearly a time to take a different slant. But, of course, I am talking about the DMN.
Diehard Pony
All-American

Re: Well I guess I should have expected that

Postby Stallion » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:51 pm

It was the last game of the year and rightfully discussed where the program is going which is entirely appropriate as a "state of the program" article. Its not the DMN's duty to promote the program but instead give a reasoned synopsis to the season and the future. If this were Little Rock, Austin, Norman or Austin it would have been scathing after a 0-12 season.

<small>[ 11-30-2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:59 pm

getting a little national press as well. The following is from Dennis Dodds article in cvssportsline's college football review:

Through a crippling probation and shuttering the program, SMU has never been this bad. The Mustangs (0-12) completed their first no-victory, no-tie season Saturday, losing to TCU 20-13. SMU is 39-115-3 in the 15 seasons since getting the death penalty from the NCAA in 1987.

Another confirmation the NCAA should never give out the Big Haircut again. Schools have been duly warned. None of them will approach that level of cheating and arrogance ever again.

The truth hurts, doesn't it? This was a record breaking horrible year for SMU football. Hope our guys have enough pride to come back next year determined to be one of 2004's turnaround stories.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ponymon » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:01 pm

Alabama hasn't been as bad? How many times do they get before they lose TV and bowl privileges? Oh, I forgot! They are a BCS school and allowed to do whatever they please, just like the lady who gave over a million bucks away to Notre Dame recruits a couple of years ago. Amazing about the selective enforcement, isn't it!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football