PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

"Texas Christian in 'ongoing discussions' to join conference" ...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

"Texas Christian in 'ongoing discussions' to join conference" ...

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:39 pm

this is from the 'new' c-usa board re / tcu with ongoing talks with the mountain goats...i remember awhile back the papers reported that turner & a few others were trying to talk the purple goo into staying, also, along with the moo-cow bowl getting them, i think they're positioning themselves to jump & jump quick...here's the link:

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/confusa/invision/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=1503&s=db3ec488460047f564c23cfa65d3a8f2

<small>[ 12-03-2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Navy&Crimson ]</small>
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: "Texas Christian in 'ongoing discussions' to join conference" ...

Postby MizterTea » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:49 pm

looks like the longer this tcu to MWC silliness drags on... the more UNDERWHELMED (and unconcerned) the other (and newer) members of UCSA are becoming.

one thing is for sure teams like UH, So Miss, and Tulane are not going anywhere - and Marshall and UCF seem real excited.
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:54 pm

If Miami-Ohio is the relacement, we get a serious upgrade. No slam intended - its just the Eastern press will like CUSA better with them instead of TCU - and we get a new TV market - and marshall gets a natural rival - don't know if that rumor is valid, but after this week Banowsky should have them on his speed-dial.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:56 pm

good point 'stang.

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:21 pm

After hearing all this, I don't care one bit if they leave. Sure, they are a great program and all, but I'm sick of all this threatening. It's time for them to put up or shut up.

If you go visit the C-USA board, there are posts from TCU fans simply telling the other schools how important they are and how C-USA should beg them not to leave. I think they are horribly upset that no one is treating it like the end of the world over there. They are like a little kid just begging for attention.

I know we have no right to be high and mighty, but the La Tech idea as a replacement does nothing for me. But Miami(Ohio)!! Now that does. Solid football and basketball. Quite possibly an upgrade from TCU. So, we have a better team replace them, AND we get to watch TCU completely screw their entire athletic program over because of an overblown ego. Guys, does it get any better that that?
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:32 pm

good point....in some ways i think tcu not only wants to leave but realizes that they must leave because if we ever get this well-oiled train wreck back on the tracks again, they know they'll ALWAYS play second fiddle to us in north-central texas area forever & ever again & for all times in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in other words - they know we'll be beating their sorry purple slimy butts again with no slacking off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:42 pm

Posted by Mike Damone:

"They are like a little kid just begging for attention.

Of all the schools that recently have publically played the "new conference" game, TCU's fans stand out as the most amateurish.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:53 pm

Grab TEMPLE in the EAST, brings in NCAA BBALL, move S Miss west, make USM - Memphis a permanent crossover game
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby PortlandPonys » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:57 pm

I still am amazed that the frogies would even consider going to the MWC, and that the MWC would take them over Boise, Fresno, or Hawaii. West coast teams get no respect from the Eastern press, and BYU,Utah,CSU, AFA rule that conference. Give them a couple of years and their coach will jump ship for a BCS job, their recruiting will drop off because who the h##l wants to go to Laramie in November, and their won loss record will take a real hit, plus travel costs will jump. If they say they only break even off a $750,000 bowl payout due to travel costs then how in the H##l could they think that the additional travel costs for ALL SPORTS in the MWC would only be an additional $100,000 a year? Sounds like someone is cooking the books over there, or taking a big hit off the crack pipe. Either way I am glad they are gone and my only concern is that, as the goats have done in the past, the MWC is just using TCU and in the end will stick us with them in favor of Boise Fresno, Hawaii or all 3.
PortlandPonys
Recruit

Postby Greenwich Pony » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:59 am

I agree. And the MWC schools have to see that their travel costs to TCU would likely also go up. Of course that's also true with Hawaii, which is why they dumped them in the first place, but Hawaii makes more sense to add to the MWC than TCU: similar school stronger programs, etc. Both Boise and Fresno make more sense though and are equally competitive and won't break the bank while adding roughly the same value in the end. While TCU is getting press for thir team this year, Fresno got the same press a year ago, and Boise should definitely get more kudoes than it does. It will be interesting if Boise plays in the FW Bowl and wins, since they're a better fit to the MWC all around...
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:17 pm

couldn't agree with you anymore, mike damone. you make my posts irrelevant, but i'll add how cool i think it would be to get miami/o and let tcu get the heck out of here since that's what they want so badly anyway. but i think that getting miami/o would be very difficult because their departure on the heels of marshall's would be a major blow to the MAC and i'm not sure that they would do that to their fellow ohio schools.

i don't think having la. tech would be that bad. after all, they've certainly had more success in fball than we have in the last few years and they are close. it takes a while to develop rivalries that come out of nowhere, but it does happen. look at tcu/so. miss. la. tech would be thrilled to be in CUSA and for my money, i want schools that want to be there, not ones that wish they were somewhere (anywhere) else like many of the toads do.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby MizterTea » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:37 pm

Originally posted by Hoofbeat83:

i don't think having la. tech would be that bad. after all, they've certainly had more success in fball than we have in the last few years and they are close. it takes a while to develop rivalries that come out of nowhere, but it does happen. look at tcu/so. miss. la. tech would be thrilled to be in CUSA and for my money, i want schools that want to be there, not ones that wish they were somewhere (anywhere) else like many of the toads do.
La Tech is nice - but to make CUSA work, they need more eastern schools. La Tech and UNT will always be willing to join up at a later date (and that is more of the same). A Miami (OH) or another eastern program really helps the conference with the east coast media - makes it "overlap" (geographically) the bigger conferences (Big 12, SEC, Big East).

the MWC is truly in the middle of no-where. I was against joining the WAC in the first place - simply because I could not get stoked about playing New Mexico
First name \"Mister\"
Middle name \"Period\"
Last name.... \"T\"
MizterTea
Varsity

Return to Football