PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

A Horn's perspective

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

A Horn's perspective

Postby Longhorn_Fan68 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:43 pm

I am good friends with PonyExpress83 and we had a standing arrangement that I would attend a SMU game if he came to Austin and joined me at a Longhorn’s game. So, as it turned out he came into town for the Arkansas game and the Tulane game. I, in turn, attended the Baylor and TCU games. I think that many things changed between those two games and if you will allow me to, I would like to give my thoughts on the things that should be celebrated and worked on during the off-season.

Overall Team Play

I thought that team played a much better overall game when I saw them the second time. They played with a cohesive spirit and it was evident that the team wanted to come out and try to win. I credit that change to Phil Bennett . I think he did a pretty good job getting his team prepared physically and mentally for the TCU game. I guarantee that if SMU had played the Baylor game (and many others, for that matter) as well as they did the TCU game, the outcome would have been drastically different. Of course, I may just be stating the obvious. Anyway, I was really pleased with the way that SMU played in the TCU game because it showed a lot of promise for the next season.

Coaching

I’m sure the people of this board have dissected his position much more than I’d probably like to touch, so I’m only going to analyze the things that I think can be approved upon. I must preface this with the fact that I really like Bennett and I think he’ll help restore prestige and a winning attitude back to the program.

One thing I noticed in both games was that the play calling was pretty conservative. For instance, I was baffled at why Bennett and his staff chose not to try and score at the end of the first half of the TCU game. My take on it was that this team had nothing to lose and only everything to gain with just going balls-out and try to put some more points on the board. There definitely seemed to be a pattern of play calling between the first game I attended and the second.

I will applaud the staff for making some bold roster changes throughout the season and pulling some shirts off of some of the freshman. I think their experience will go a long for next year as well.

QB

Without getting into all the politics that this position has been wrangling with all season I will just say that Chris Phillips was very impressive. This coaching staff should be able to lean on his talent until they can fill the roster with a heartier supporting cast. I liked his poise in the pocket and his ability to make good reads down field. I was impressed with his ability to make things happen with his feet when other options were not available. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think he got injured in the second half or I think he might have been a little more productive with his feet. From someone who watches Vincent Young play on Saturdays, I think you guys should be really proud to have this kid on your roster.

Receivers

I don’t know very much about this group. I do know that I thought they played a pretty decent game both times that I saw this team. There were no players that really stood out, but they all played a pretty a pretty good game.

Backs

I was much more impressed with Keylon Kincade when I saw him play against Baylor. This is obviously because TCU’s defense is much better than Baylor’s, but I also think that at the time the offense was being carried on his shoulders. From what I understand SMU has a couple of pretty decent backs that will be battling for the starting spot next year. That is certainly a good thing.

O-line

One of the first things I noticed about this group was their size. There are really no towering behemoths on this squad and that was evident last weekend. This group was consistently getting blown up and moved into the pocket. Let’s hope that Bennett can bring in some recruits that strengthen this position in the coming years.

Defensive Line

I thought this was unit was the more solid of the three major divisions on defense. They allowed some pretty big runs, but managed to keep TCU in 3rd and long situation throughout much of the afternoon. This squad should get better over the next couple of years.

Linebackers

Besides the interception I did not see much from these guys. This may be because they are not much different in size than many of the lineman and it was hard for me to tell who was making plays much of the time. From what PonyExpress83 says, these guys should be a little better next year as well.

D-backs

I was fairly unimpressed with this group in both games that I saw this team play. I had heard a lot about Jonas Rutledge, but I watched him get torched on several occasions during both games (and against OSU as well). I’m still baffled as to why TCU didn’t just pass the ball all afternoon because it seemed like every time they did, they were successful. Let’s hope Bennett can strengthen this group in the off-season as well.

Special Teams

This, to me, was by far the best squad on any side of the ball. I was impressed with the punter and the kick coverage. If this squad can keep up this level of play they will help keep SMU in games in the coming season.

Overall Thoughts

I definitely think this team has improved from one end of the season to the other. However, it is obvious that some things need to be addressed (yeah, no ****). From what I understand, SMU had the top non-BCS recruiting class this year. I see no reason why they can’t achieve the same or better next year. They return a lot of experienced talent and have a coach that wants nothing more than to help this team win. SMU is located in a great part of town and the facilities appear top-notch. I know it is difficult to take much positive away from a 0-12 season, but there are definitely some things in place to build upon. It will be really interesting to see how the team responds this spring and during the coming season.

<small>[ 12-03-2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Longhorn_Fan68 ]</small>
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
Longhorn_Fan68

Re: A Horn's perspective

Postby Cheesesteak » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:49 pm

Accurate observations.

I hope that you will attend another game in Ford Stadium during 2004.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:58 pm

Originally posted by Doug:
the Tulane game.

One thing I noticed in both games was that the play calling was pretty conservative. For instance, I was baffled at why Bennett and his staff chose not to try and score at the end of the first half of the TCU game. My take on it was that this team had nothing to lose and only everything to gain with just going balls-out and try to put some more points on the board.
Just wanted to stat before I go into talkin bout the post that I also attended thrashing of Tulane! Great game played by the Horns. (My step bro goes to UT down in Austin still very sad bout that) I had to sit most the time as I was wearing my SMU hat and SMU shirt lol.

I also was thinking the same thing on that issue close to the end of the first half. I still dont think Bennett is very good at close games! I mean we punted the ball away with 4:00 to go in the TCU game and around 3 minutes to go in the Baylor game! If we wouldve gone for it I couldve seen us goin possibley 2-10 atleast! We gotta get more guts on these 4th down plays.

Very accurate thoughts overall!! I second that I hope you attend more SMU games in 04! GO MUSTANGS
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:19 am

You nailed it about the Oline. Its simply not competitive. And you can't really evaluate skill players until there is some semblance of protection and blocking. You could put Peyton Manning behind our line the past couple years and the record wouldnt be much better.
Hoop Fan

Postby Corso » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:58 am

Thanks for your thoughts, LF68. Some astute observations in there.

We do have one behemoth-in-waiting -- apparently the coaches want 6-6, 292-pound LT Darrin Johnson up to 320 or 330 .... by spring drills, which means he needs to eat everything that's not bolted down and move in permanently in the weight room. Chris Urbanus and Kenard Burley also have that kind of size, but haven't played as much as Johnson. I'm with you -- Coach Bennett needs to bolster the o-line as much as any group.

I also see defensive line as an area of vital need. Too often we generated little to no pass rush this year, which in turn made the secondary more vulnerable than it should have been.

Your assessment of Kincade is right on. He was absolutely tireless. And with all due respect to him (at 3,000-plus career yards, he's one of the best RBs SMU has ever had), the position should be more potent next year with Foy Munlin and Richuel Massey.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:31 pm

i'm a dual mustang/horn fan (blasphemy to some of my pony brethren, i know, but i can't help myself), so i enjoyed your observations.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby Longhorn_Fan68 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:06 pm

We do have one behemoth-in-waiting -- apparently the coaches want 6-6, 292-pound LT Darrin Johnson up to 320 or 330
That's a little odd. I can understand wanting him to put on a little weight, but usually anything over 300 gets to be problematic. I'd be surprised if they really want him over 310-315.
Longhorn_Fan68

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:52 pm

I rarely post. Not that I am against posting… but I usually like to formulate some sort of well thought out “jibba jabba”, as Mizter Tea would call it, and thus I usually come by for information. But with my good buddy Longhorn_Fan68 posting, I feel that I must…

And this is not well thought out, it’s more of the jibba jabba variety.

First off what is a Horn fan doing here? Bevo- it’s what’s for dinner. Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I’d rather have a horn fan here then a froggie or aggie any day. And beyond that he is a good friend, even if he is a lover of the Bovine.

It was, however, a tad disconcerting when I heard him utter the phrase, “Hook ‘em Mustangs.” I gave him a hall pass on that one, though, because our next play went for good yardage. Plus, I’ll give him a hall pass in general because he is warming to our program and- his handle, Longhorn_Fan68, refers to his beloved 1968 Ford MUSTANG. Cool car if it could ever get out his driveway.

I did in fact attend two games in Austin. Right before kickoff of the first game (Arkansas), I called my brother from the stands, “I’m deep behind enemy lines, request immediate backup or rescue chopper!” Both were fun games if you like college football, which I do. I enjoyed both, the Arkansas game because it was closer and the outcome was nice… plus I saw a Ponies game later that day (Baylor… how did that one slip away from us?). I really enjoyed the half time at the Tulane game. And though, on principal, I really loathe the UT band- mostly because of the absolutely putrid uniforms (those things could induce epileptic shock)- it was, however, alumni band day. Just seeing all those ex-band members so pumped to be playing a halftime show again, jumping on the sidelines, etc., almost brought a tear to my eye. I know how much being in a marching band means to people. Maybe it was just the pollen. Plus, the really old-guy male twirler needs to take his act on the road.

Back to the Ponies, thanks for posting your thoughts LF68. Very astute. I’m usually too busy drinking heavily and heckling the opposing team too much to really make any kind of keen observations (as you could tell this past Saturday). I will say this, we looked like a far better team on Saturday then we had all season. I know LF68 was not there, but I really think that the Boise State game was the point that we absolutely bottomed out. That was by far the worst game I have ever seen SMU play. I know Boise is a great team, but we had no heart. That was the only game this year that we just did not even show up. Bennett made some good solid moves after that game, and it paid off with the development of Mr. Phillips.

I’m already looking forward to next year. What do you say LF68, let’s keep up the home and home series? Looks like the other posters on this board want you back as well. I really do hope you get the Rose Bowl bid… I’ll be pulling for MEEEEEEEEECHIGAN, but you knew that already. (I’ll buy you a beer if Tejas pulls out a win.)

LF68 and I have a standing bet that SMU finishes a season in the Top 25 before Texas wins the national championship. A pretty safe bet from where I’m sitting (that being, sitting outside of the Top 100… but who’s counting?).
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby Longhorn_Fan68 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:04 pm

(I’ll buy you a beer if Tejas pulls out a win.)
That's a pretty weak bet. This is the type of bet someone wagers if they think they're going to lose. ;)

Anyway, both SMU games I attended were decided by a touchdown or less, so there's got to be some karma in there somewhere - especially considering most of the other games were double-digit loses. But I digress.

Yes, I will continue to attend SMU games because I will be curious to see how this team develops under Bennett. PE83 should come down in 2006 to see Ohio State play in DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium. That looks to be a great ame.
Longhorn_Fan68

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:52 pm

Oooh... all right we'll up the bet, because Texas ain't gonna' win. (We'll take care of that outside of this forum.)

Speaking of Karma, Nevada was a three point loss too- and I was hanging out with you that night also. So, do you wanna' buy season tickets?

PE83 will take the Ohio State game under advisement, but PE83 does not yet SMU's '06 schedule, so he/I will hold off on a commitment as SMU will always take priority.

Besides, SMU's going to be a Top 25 team in '06... won't want to miss a game of that.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby PerunaPunch » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:58 pm

The scoop on Darrin Johnson is that he almost looks slim at 292. He's also a kid that in high school didn't a have much of a strength training program. Johnson is just a BIG MAN. He easily has the frame to add 20 or more and still look athletic / sculpted for an OL.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:13 pm

Originally posted by PonyExpress83:
Skeaing of Karma, Nevada was a three point loss too- and I was hanging out with you that night also. So, do you wanna' buy season tickets?

but PE83 does not yet SMU's '06 schedule, so he/I will hold off on a commitment as SMU will always take priority.
2006 Non-Conference Play:
SMU At Boston College
SMU At Northwestern
Wake Forest At SMU

Conference:
Most likely who ever we play in 2005 seeing as its our first year in CUSA in 05 yay!!

And I agree! If you're around us when we play you are our good luck charm somehow? Where were you when we faced UTEP? 21-19 was that score I believe. GO MUSTANGS!! 04 THE TURN AROUND YEAR!
Mustangs35SMU

Return to Football