PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU 1947 Mustangs

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU 1947 Mustangs

Postby Sid1947 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:34 pm

Just registered to this great Pony site. My Dad was Sid Halliday, captain of the 1947 team. Recently he was nominated to be inducted into the 2004 class at the Texas High School Hall of Fame in Waco, May 1, 2004 for his play at Woodrow Wilson High School in Dallas. Is there any old Mustangs out there who knew him? He passed away in 1964 but I sure would love any old stories about that team. Thanks
Sid1947

Re: SMU 1947 Mustangs

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:18 am

Welcome let me get my 2 words in before everyone starts talkin!

WELCOME TO THE BOARD! Hopefully we'll have better times next season so you can cheer with us!!

GO STANGS!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:52 am

Sid1947 - need your e-mail address.
Bergermeister

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:42 am

Welcome to the board. I grew up listening to the SMU games of the Doak Walker era. Although I do not remeber your father's name on those rosters, I would love to hear about the stoires of when he played for the mustangs. Congratulations on your the honor shown your family for your Dad's play.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:14 am

welcome - you'll love it here!

best place for the smu news!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:41 am

Sid1947: Welcome to the board and congrats on your father's honor! You should contact Joe Redwine Patterson, an attorney in Dallas. He was the head 'yell leader' for the Mustangs when your father was at SMU in 1947-48. He and my father, I.T. Hurst, are the epitomy of SMU spirit. Sadly, my father passed away a year ago tomorrow. But I'm sure Mr. Patterson will be able to relate some stories to you. I know my Dad would have been able, too! GO MUSTANGS!
MrMustang1965

Postby Sid1947 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:03 pm

Originally posted by Sam I Am:
Welcome to the board. I grew up listening to the SMU games of the Doak Walker era. Although I do not remeber your father's name on those rosters, I would love to hear about the stoires of when he played for the mustangs. Congratulations on your the honor shown your family for your Dad's play.
Thank you to Sam I am. Sid Halliday played in '42, '46 & '47. Wore #83, Captain of Doak's 47 team. An All-SWC end 46 & 47. Probably his brightest moment was the 47 gave vs. TCU and caught a TD w/20 seconds left to tie TCU 19-19 and keep SMU undefeated that season. His good buddy Gil Johnson was the QB who tossed that pass. Sid'd younger brother Jack HAlliday #73 played tackle also. Thanks you. My son, who is also named Sid Halliday was an all state soccer player at Bishop Lynch while Chris Phillips played football. Has strong legs. Can kick extra points like Daniel Hernandez could with either leg. Had never seen that done before. Willing to kick at any Div I or II school who offers. Bear Bryant recuited me in '75 as a kicker although life took a different course. Sid has played 1 year college soccer at U of Ozarks in Ark. Any coaches out there? Had spoke to SMU soccer was his main cup of tea. SMU fan forever !!!
Sid1947

Postby Sid1947 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:13 pm

Originally posted by MrMustang1965:
Sid1947: Welcome to the board and congrats on your father's honor! You should contact Joe Redwine Patterson, an attorney in Dallas. He was the head 'yell leader' for the Mustangs when your father was at SMU in 1947-48. He and my father, I.T. Hurst, are the epitomy of SMU spirit. Sadly, my father passed away a year ago tomorrow. But I'm sure Mr. Patterson will be able to relate some stories to you. I know my Dad would have been able, too! GO MUSTANGS!
I would love to speak with Joe Redwine Patterson and will have to look him up. Thank you for the info and my sorrows for your fathers passing. Don't you know they are all having a great time in heaven. I had told a TCU friend of mine that those old Mustangs were going to beat TCU this year and they almost did. Came up a bit short but maybe next year.....
Sid1947

Return to Football