PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

And so it begins...MWC expansion

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

And so it begins...MWC expansion

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:39 am

The MWC commissioner admits that TCU and other schools are being considered for membership. Come January the WAC West will decline and C-USA will have to decide whom they want to replace TCU. Let's hope that USM stays in our half of the conference. I favor La Tech to replace TCU. Who else has a real chance of getting in C-USA with us?
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: And so it begins...MWC expansion

Postby EastStang » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:47 am

I'd give Temple a long look. They would help the eastern part with ECU and Marshall.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GoRedGoBlue » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:52 am

I think LaTech is in, but I favor add Temple in the East to increase our BBALL conference, and push USM to the West with a permanent cross over game with Memphis (their rivals).

Also, don't think that TCU is a done deal yet, if MWC only takes 1, and BSU kills them, it will be hard to not take Mountain favored BSU.

The resistance to TCU has to be from the traditional powers in the MWC who don't want to have to travel out EAST...who would prefer a more tight knit conference.
GoRedGoBlue
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:59 am

Wouldn't La Tech have to make some academic changes to join C-USA? Something about partial qualifiers? I read that on some C-USA board. If they made those changes, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Greenwich Pony » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:19 am

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over LA Tech; TCU is going nowhere. The Horned Frauds may be insecure, whiny, obnoxious, ill-manner, classless, (Hey- I could go on all day) etc., etc., but at the end of the day, they have run their program well. They're not going anywhere, a deal with the MWC makes no sense and does not put them in a better position than the new CUSA configuration, and they have to realize that. The only reason to make a jump would be damaged pride and TCU is probably in the end going to be able to swallow a little bruised pride for the better deal.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:56 pm

You are correct. TCU would damage their program to no end if they joined MWC. Boise will be favored over TCU for expansion if only 1 is taken so TCU won't even have the chance but the only people who will gain big from TCU going to MWC would be us. Their recruiting will dry up and die if they play MWC with little to no TV exposure in CST.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:40 pm

I heard Miami of Ohio was being looked at. That would be a very positive move.
JasonB

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:32 pm

I hope TCU gets killed tonight. Then they can realize they are no better than the best WAC team...haa haa.
Pony_Fan

Postby Sam I Am » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:07 am

Partisan attitudes aside about the C-USA and WAC, TCU has got to be the underdog against BSU. USM exposed the Frogs for what they are, a good team but not a great team. BSU verges on being a great team.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football