PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BSU 34 - TCU 31, what a game!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BSU 34 - TCU 31, what a game!

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:08 pm

I'm glad BSU won, but TCU did play them a good game. The home field advantage helped overcome the 10 point handicap. Wouldn't it be funny if the MWC was only going to accept the winner of this game for their membership. Actually after their bowl game, both teams should look attractive to their own conferences, as well as the MWC. But I contend it is a mistake to go West. I still stand rready to pack the bags for the Frogs. Bye. :p
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Re: BSU 34 - TCU 31, what a game!

Postby FloridaMustang » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:15 pm

Shame Nick Browne was injured.. they kept that secret well, but his injury is ultimately what lost them the game.. Browne ties that game easily.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:55 pm

I don’t think you can say he would have made it easily. It was a 51 yard attempt and I believe Browne’s career long was 50 yards. But it is a shame that their all-american kicker doesn’t get a chance at that kick though. I feel sorry for the Frogs....wait, no I don’t.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:41 am

Ahhh I agree it was a great game but it just gives me more and more confidence that we can beat dem Frogs next year on their own turf :)
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Frog81 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:23 am

Originally posted by Mustangs35SMU:
Ahhh I agree it was a great game but it just gives me more and more confidence that we can beat dem Frogs next year on their own turf :)
How? LOL...the team that blew you away beat us by 3. And judging by our recruiting so far, and who we have coming back, our team will be better next year. Anything could happen, but if you think Boise beating us by 3 means you have a good chance, then you need a better grip on reality.
Frog81
Recruit

Postby SMUguy » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:52 am

Originally posted by Frog81:
How? LOL...the team that blew you away beat us by 3. And judging by our recruiting so far, and who we have coming back, our team will be better next year. Anything could happen, but if you think Boise beating us by 3 means you have a good chance, then you need a better grip on reality. [/QUOTE]

Now you don't want to start this again, do you? Sure, Boise smoked us. But they also beat you. And you BARELY snuck away from Dallas with a win. And while you might have some studs coming in next year, you can't always count on freshmen -- so look at your recruits from two years ago, the year Franocchio abandoned you. I don't know what you had that year, but I doubt you've got a Chad Pugh, a Bo Schobel, a Nick Browne, etc. (or at least not ALL of them) ready to step in and play.
Yall played well tonight. Be proud of your little lizards. They looked a lot better tonight than when we played 'em.

<small>[ 12-23-2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: SMUguy ]</small>
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby smudad » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:45 am

But the reality is, they had a really good game, good crowd, two nationaly ranked teams. Lots of bowls out there that would any of those - much less all of 'em. Congrats to all.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby Frog81 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:56 am

Originally posted by SMUguy:
Originally posted by Frog81:
[b]
How? LOL...the team that blew you away beat us by 3. And judging by our recruiting so far, and who we have coming back, our team will be better next year. Anything could happen, but if you think Boise beating us by 3 means you have a good chance, then you need a better grip on reality.
Now you don't want to start this again, do you? Sure, Boise smoked us. But they also beat you. And you BARELY snuck away from Dallas with a win. And while you might have some studs coming in next year, you can't always count on freshmen -- so look at your recruits from two years ago, the year Franocchio abandoned you. I don't know what you had that year, but I doubt you've got a Chad Pugh, a Bo Schobel, a Nick Browne, etc. (or at least not ALL of them) ready to step in and play.
Yall played well tonight. Be proud of your little lizards. They looked a lot better tonight than when we played 'em. [/b][/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking about freshmen. Who knows how that will turn out for anyone at that point. I was talking about the JUCO's we signed...one at every major position of need for next year, including a JUCO All-American at corner and a guy that was the starter on Tennessee's defensive line until they realized he was one credit short. My point wasn't so much to run you down, as to say that this game tonight has no bearing on TCU/SMU next year.
Frog81
Recruit

Postby Dooby » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:08 am

Count me among those that thought Boise was going to win by 20. TCU played a good game in what was probably the best bowl game of the year. Still, I can't figure out why Boise kept running the ball; that was what kept TCU in the game 'cause TCU wasn't doing a very good job defending the pass.

There are no sure things when it comes to a 51 yard field goal. Not in the pros and certainly not in the NCAA. To argue otherwise is crazy.

Also, I don't see how anyone can watch that game and think it has any bearing whatsoever on the SMU-TCU game next year. Boise crushed us. Boise beat TCU. TCU beat us.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:28 am

I think its sooo funny that after that game, a Frog has to come over to the SMU board to see what we're saying about them. What insecurity! We got some JUCO's too and that Tennessee transfer has to sit out a year. We won't know until September will we, how good anyone is? An injury here, an academic casualty, a couple of arrests, an early NFL draftee, and who knows what any team's line-up will look like next year.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:25 am

there is no comparison between SMU and TCU's JUCOs. I haven't seen reports of a single Division 1A offer made to any of our JUCOs except maybe Baylor's withdrawn offer to Romo after King committed. All of TCU's JUCOs were highly sought-at least 3-4 should be considered national recruits with numerous top BCS offers.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:25 am

One unfortunate thing that marred this very good matchup was the continued pitiful officiating. Hate to see major blown calls that effect a game's outcome. Reminds me of some of the refs we had this year.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football