PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Trench Warfare

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Trench Warfare

Postby Stallion » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:16 am

sobering stats from 2003-SMU, predominately a running team, suffered through 41 sacks for 261 yards and had only 12 sacks for 81 yards. And our opponents threw 45 more passes than we did. Further, SMU suffered through 92 Tackles for Losses for 405 yards and had only 57 Tackles for Losses for 214 yards. YET, we have not signed(or even recruited) a JUCO lineman and in fact don't have a commitment from a single lineman. That pretty damn disconcerting if you ask me.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Trench Warfare

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:21 pm

While I'd love to see SMU continue upgrading the caliber of OL and DL recruits coming in year after year, I'm not overly concerned about the current situation. In fact, I really believe we will be much improved on both lines next year.

I wasn't happy we had to play Desmond Jones and Brandon Bonds right away on the DL, but that experience will help them to mature earlier in their careers. We've got a pretty healthy 3 man rotation at DT next year and I think there's potential for a couple of DEs to step up next year. I'm more concerned about the LB position and agree Harris and Wallis might be good additions to the LB corp to add much needed depth.

On the OL, we've got the same issue. The early playing time that Bryan Turner and Grant Eidson have had will help them. If guys like Darin Johnson and Chris Urbanus turn out to be players, if Boren and Burley can step right in, if Hargis and Kieschnick can stay healthy and anchor this group...I know that's a lot of "ifs", but I really do believe this bunch has the potential to be MUCH iproved next year.

Add to that a more experienced and deeper group of skill players and I really believe we are going to see a dramatically different team next year. I liken the football situation to this year's basketball team. We have a bunch of guys who are finally "experienced" and are starting to play to their potential. They might be inconsistent, but on any given day can play with top 25 caliber opponents. I know we are all ready for the football team to accomplish what the bball team did at Purdue, i.e., finally upset someone at a level that gets national attention.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ikus » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:13 pm

I agree with many of the points you both make. But the fact is that there are a lot of linemen returning, many of whom will be getting their first action next year. Justin Boren, Kenard Burley, Caleb Peveto, Dominic Pryor -- all can basically be considered 2004 additions. Several others -- Duston Morton, Chris Poulos, Martin Guidry, Randy Denman -- have little or no playing experience. And there's the possibility of someone joining the group by changing positions (is that you, Ryan Kennedy?) Sure, I'd like to see a class that includes James McClinton, Frank Okam and every other high-profile OL and DL alive, but I'd rather see us stockpile the best players available, rather than throw scholarships at undeserving players. Should we really bypass the Chase brothers, or DeMyron Martin, or Wilton McCray, or Jessie Henderson, etc., in favor of some linemen -- even if they aren't that talented -- just to say we signed some linemen? Of course not. Last year, we signed a bunch of linemen, and some of them played, some of them didn't. The real additions from those guys will be felt this season and next, as those guys mature and take on larger roles or get their first experience. If we have a chance to stockpile a bunch of talented players at other positions this year, we should. And by all accounts, we are. Next year, we can resume the focus on collecting big ugly guys. I'd like some now, but only if they would represent a clear improvement over what's coming back in 2004.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Johnny Rock » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:34 pm

Yeah, you guys are right. It is no big deal that we have not signed any OL or DL in this years recruiting class. Who needs JUCO players at positions that are the teams weakest? Wake up. SMU will be facing a drop to Division 1-AA or Division II if we do not get are act together in football. Our competition are loading up on JUCO players at key positions to increase depth and add starters (see TCU, Tulsa, La. Tech, Houston, Fresno St. and everyone else we play except for Rice). All of the teams except for Rice have had recent winning seasons and made appearances at bowl games except for Rice and TCU. Are their campuses better than SMU? No. Do they have nicer facilities than SMU? Not really. Why them and not us? Wait...we have a young team and we are going to be better next year because our young guys have experience. Wrong!!!! It is our inept model. Wake up people.
Johnny Rock

Return to Football