PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sad News .......

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sad News .......

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:34 pm

Sad News.....

Looks like the father of former SMU 2002 football player Eric Peterson DE died earlier this month.

The obit was in the Dallas Morning news this past Friday.

Eric's father, an SMU graduate, Robert "Bob" Peterson was the founder of two well known local restaurants: "The Blue Goose Cantina" and "Aw Shucks".

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Peterson Family.

--------------------------------------------------

Robert Albert Peterson:
Accountant started restaurants
December 26, 2003 By RAE DeSHONG
The Dallas Morning News

Robert Albert "Bob" Peterson helped shape the Dallas restaurant scene with several eateries and clubs including such Lower Greenville standbys as the Blue Goose Cantina, serving Mexican fare, and Aw Shucks, which once claimed to serve the most oysters of any place in Texas.

The accountant turned restaurateur died Dec. 8 at a hospital in Gainesville, Fla., of throat cancer. He was 62.

A memorial service will be at 5 p.m. Sunday at the Blue Goose Cantina, 14920 Midway Road in Addison. Mr. Peterson was buried at Forest Meadows cemetery in Newberry, Fla.

Mr. Peterson lived in Florida for the last 14 years and regularly commuted to Dallas to check on the restaurants and meet with business partners. The Dallas area businesses include three Blue Goose locations, a Blue Goose Fish Co. and a Big Shucks restaurant.

Cathy Peterson of Carrollton said her father, once an auditor for Braniff Airlines, liked to blend into the crowd while working.

"He was one that would sit at the bar and watch everything," she said. "He didn't necessarily want people to know that he was the owner. He wanted to blend in and see what the general mood of the crowd was: Were they happy? Were they being waited on?"

Ms. Peterson said her father wanted to give customers a high-quality menu and a fun atmosphere. She said that he developed not only recipes, but also a dependable staff.

"If I learned anything from him, it's to pick good people and teach them to succeed," she said.

Other Dallas endeavors included the 1912 Easy Parlor, the Texas Tea House and the Craven Heifer, said his wife, Jill Manning Peterson of Newberry, Fla.

Mr. Peterson was born and raised in Illinois, and he graduated from high school in Racine, Wis. He moved his family to Dallas in the mid-1960s and received an accounting degree at Southern Methodist University.

After graduating in 1969, he traveled for Braniff. His territory included South America, and he named the Blue Goose after a bar he visited on a business trip.

In addition to his daughter and wife, Mr. Peterson's survivors include three sons, Carl Berger Peterson of Corpus Christi, Eric Manning Peterson of Dallas and Nicholas Albert Peterson of Jacksonville, Fla.; two sisters, Carol Luse of Tavernier, Fla., and Karen Hansen of Bonita Springs, Fla.

E-mail rdeshong@dallasnews.com

Dallas Morning News - Bob Peterson Obit
"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Re: Sad News .......

Postby No Quarter » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:55 pm

SFAIK, I never met Mr. Peterson or had any contact with him, but there was a time when my wife played bridge on in an open internet game and said they happened to become partners. She said he was a nice guy and a good card player.

Whether or not she met Eric Peterson's dad or another, our sympathy to the family.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:31 pm

I was at the Blue Goose a couple of summers ago,and his son Eric waited on me and a friend. God bless.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Q » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:09 pm

A couple of years ago (I think it was Cavan's last season), I went out to watch 2-a-days at the intramural field across from Fraternity Row. Some guy I'd never met before wandered over and we talked about football for a couple of hours - it was Eric's dad. He was as charming and pleasant a man as I can recall ever meeting, and he clearly was passionate about his son, the Ponies, SMU, and Dallas. He seemed like a really remarkable man, and although I only met him once, I'll miss him. I feel lucky I had the chance to meet him.
The Q
Varsity

Return to Football