PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cotton Bowl

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cotton Bowl

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:38 pm

am I the only one who hadn't noticed the Cotton Bowl won't be played on January 1. Isn't this the only time in its history that it is not being played on Jan 1 except when Jan 1 is a Sunday. How much you want to bet there will be some people show up on the wrong day. More tradition down the drain

<small>[ 12-29-2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Cotton Bowl

Postby Dooby » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:59 pm

You'll be in for more disappointment soon.

Channel 5 (maybe it was 8) did a story over the weekend on the aging Cottonbowl. One Cottonbowl official, while making the overt hints that they were going to ask for public money soon, commented that they were going to talk to Jerry Jones about his stadium. Basically, he was implying that the Cottonbowl might not be played in the Cottonbowl for much longer.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SmooPower » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:04 pm

Correct. The Cotton Bowl has always been played on Jan 1st unless it is a Sunday. Otherwise, it was played on Jan 2nd, except in 1966 it was played on Dec 31st.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:12 pm

Stallion-while I understand that you are upset about the game being moved, the new format is much better than the way it was the previous few years. Because of TV concerns the game kicked off at 10:00 AM the last 5 years or so. That sucks for your average fan. 99% of your football viewing public are out drinking and partying on New Years Eve and a 10:00 kickoff is difficult to make- much less have any sort of tailgate. Now the game kicks off at 1:00 on the 2nd and will have much more national attention than it did on New Years Day.
The attitude dictates that you don't care whether she comes, stays, lays, or prays. I mean whatever happens, your toes are still tappin'. Now when you got that, then you have the attitude.

-Me
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Southland » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:36 pm

Originally posted by Stallion:
am I the only one who hadn't noticed the Cotton Bowl won't be played on January 1. Isn't this the only time in its history that it is not being played on Jan 1 except when Jan 1 is a Sunday. How much you want to bet there will be some people show up on the wrong day. More tradition down the drain
It's to help the game against the limitations of the SEC's contract with the Capital One Bowl (no SEC bowl game can kickoff within 30 minutes before the Capital One Bowl kickoff, nor can a bowl involving a SEC school kickoff until 3 hours after the start of the Capital One Bowl).

The Cotton Bowl lost it's significance 10 years ago with the creation of the Alliance...
Southland
Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:45 pm

The Cotton Bowl sucks and has ever since the demise of the Southwest Conference. Ah, those were the days...!
MrMustang1965

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:40 pm

Agreed MrMustang

I do wonder why Im going to it again :hmm:
Mustangs35SMU

Postby PonyFan » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:14 am

If the Cotton Bowl starts at 1 PM, what's the morning game now? That's what the new year is all about, dang it -- watching football all day and all night!
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Football