PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PonyFans.com preview: TCU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

PonyFans.com preview: TCU

Postby PonyPride » Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:51 pm

SMU renews its crosstown rivalry with former conference foe TCU. SMU leads the all-time series between the schools by a single game, 38-37-7. The game kicks off at 6 p.m. Saturday at TCU's Amon Carter Stadium and can be heard on KTCK (1310 AM).

The Horned Frogs, now a member of of Conference USA, have opened the season by splitting their first two games, falling in overtime at Cincinnati, 36-29, in the opener before winning at Northwestern, 48-24, Saturday.

The Frogs have a different look from recent years, in which TCU has dominated the Ponies. RB LaDanian Tomlinson is now in his second year with the San Diego Chargers, and QB Casey Printers transferred after last season because of his reduced role in the offense.

Head coach Gary Patterson has a record of 7-8 after two games in his second season at the helm in Fort Worth.

Running the offense is senior quarterback Sean Stilley, a Dallas (Lake Highlands) product who is not quite as quick as Printers, but has a more accurate arm and makes good reads and decisions at the line of scrimmage. In two games as the Frogs' starting signal caller, Stilley (6-foot-5, 236 pounds) has complted 31-of-49 passes (63 percent) for 503 yards, two interceptions and a pair of touchdown passes. He also rushed for an 11-yard score in TCU's win over Northwestern Saturday.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Tye Gunn also played in the rout of the Wildcats, completing 3-of-7 passes for 12 yards and also scoring on an 11-yard run.

The Frogs' ground game is led by junior tailback Corey Connally, who in two games has averaged 23 carries and 89.5 yards per game. Wide receiver LaTarence Dunbar (of South Oak Cliff HS) also is a vital cog in the TCU ground attack, taking reverses and direct handoffs from Stilley on end-arounds; in two games, the speedy senior has 6 carries for 43 yards, but his speed makes him a threat every time he touches the ball. Patterson has said he wants to get the ball in Dunbar's hands as often as possible. Texas transfer Kenny Hayter also is expected to factor into the running game.

The offense is more balanced than during the Tomlinson years. Connally also leads the team in receptions after two games, with 9 catches for 61 yards. Dunbar and Adrian Madise have seven catches each; Dunbar has piled up 152 yards (21.7 yards per catch), while Madise has 136 yards (19.4 yards per catch).

The Frogs always boast a massive offensive line, and this year's crop is no different. The team returns four starters from last year's line: guard J.T. Aughinbaugh (6-6, 296), tackle Brady Barrick (6-6, 298), center Jamal Powell (6-4, 294) and tackle John Glud (6-6, 334). Powell is considered a likely NFL draftee.

On defense, TCU boasts one of the most electric game-breaking linebackers in the country in senior LaMarcus McDonald (6-1, 230). McDonald has sensational speed and the instincts to find seams in opposing offensive lines. Last year, he seemed at times to take up residence in opposing backfields en route to a junior campaign in which he led his team in tackles with 84 (including a staggering 26 tackles for loss) and in sacks with 7.

The anchors of the defensive line are on the interior of the line, where defensive tackle Chad Pugh and nosetackle John Turntine clog the middle against the run -- occupying blockers, which allows the linebackers to run free to the ball -- and generating push up the middle to collapse the pocket (Turntine had 5 sacks and Pugh had 3 in 2001).

The TCU secondary is very strong, led by Marvin Godboldt and cornerback Jason Goss, who led the 2001 Frogs with three interceptions.

The team's special teams are exceptional. Punter Joey Biasatti and kicker Nick Browne are among the strongest tandems in the nation. Browne, who also led the TCU soccer team in scoring last year as a midfielder, was named Conference USA Special Teams Player of the Week after the season-opening loss to Cincinnati. He tied the conference record (and set a new TCU mark) with five field goals against the Bearcats. Boasting a very strong leg, the Garland, Texas native connected from 22, 43, 36, 50 and 48 yards. The 50-yarder tied his career-long.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: PonyFans.com preview: TCU

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:23 pm

That's a great preview, and I can't wait to watch the Ponies run all over TCU.

How many PonyFans are coming over for the game? We need a lot of Red and Blue in the stands!
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby MustangFan » Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:27 pm

I'll be there.
I'll be early, I'll be drinking, and I'll be loud.
GO MUSTANGS
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Fresh » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:06 pm

We all complained in the preseason about our offensive line, but they've done a good job against Navy (well, sort of) and Tech.

TCU doesn't have Shawn Worthen in the middle anymore, and they don't have that Schobel guy at defensive end anymore. I say our o-line goes to war again this week, and Keylon cracks 150 and scores twice.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby SMUFan » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:45 am

Of course I'll be there, since I'm going to every game this year except Hawaii (and I wish I was headed there, of course.)

SMU gets its first win this week.
Beat them little froggies!
SMUFan
All-American

Return to Football