PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

#34 SMU Ties Ohio State (1978)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

#34 SMU Ties Ohio State (1978)

Postby PK » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:19 pm

PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:37 pm

Mike Ford's greatest game in his career. Ohio St. never came close to a clue on how to stop him despite a very average running game. I was sitting directly under the uprights in Ohio Stadium.-I'm not sure Garcia even missed that last second field goal by two feet. I have never ever heard 87,000 people so quiet in my life. Ohio St. knew they had dodged a bullet that day because SMU outplayed the Buckeyes all day long. There's an example of a program built by playing Florida, Penn St and Ohio St ALL on the road rather than North Texas A&M School of the Blind.
Stallion

Postby 1982Express » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:08 pm

If only Mike had not torn up his knee in the TCU game in 1979. He was something special. Also, I love the fact that he and I shared a hometown. Go Skeeters!
1982Express
Scout Team

Postby ponyte » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:51 pm

It missed by more than 2 feet Stallion. Believe me, only the officials had a closer view than I. It is amazing, during pregame, we few were privileged to see Woody Hayes knock the Hades out of one of his own players. Nothing like that would have ever happened to a player under Ron Meyers so that was an incredible shock. Also, the worst fans on the face of the earth. Some drunk came into our bench area, dropped his pants and started yelling, "Suck on this Mustangs!" The cops only laugh at him. Fans accused us of being the product of animal husbandry experiments and all kinds of objects seem to just fly out of thin air at us. We were instructed to never take our helmets off except in the locker room.

As we got on the plane, the team was quiet and down. We had tied and a win would have been so sweet. Ron Meyer came on the plane, stood at the front and told us not to worry, that he, and then he put on an OSU baseball cap, had taken Woody's hat after the game. The plane broke up and then we realized just what an accomplishment this was to tie a ranked team in their house.
ponyte

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:06 pm

GREAT STORY!!!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:30 am

...if mike ford does not get hurt (I used to party with mike..wild times..), young lance probably does not make the scene as quickly.....
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Return to Football