PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Optimistic on the hilltop...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Optimistic on the hilltop...

Postby SMUnick » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:26 pm

So recently I went to SMU for my freshman orientation. I not only got to meet some incoming students, but I met some football players as well. The players are very optimistic and said that anything lower then 5 wins would be a HUGE dissapointment. Furthermore, I asked about the uniforms. All the players were stoked about the new unis! They said it was a mixture of the new Atl Falcons jerseys, and a little combo of the Umiami ones. They are keeping the helmets they used last year... I believe the home uniforms will be red, and the away ones white...They also said that the players are the strongest and fastest they have ever been.. Our LB corps should be pretty sick!
-BEAT BAYLOR
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby Corso » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:07 pm

Love the optimism, and the reports of the bigger, faster players can only help.
And you're right, the LBs should be the strength of the team, in my opinion.

Go MUSTANGS!!!!!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Hal » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:58 am

We're at least two-deep at LB with quality players, right?
DD Lee, Rico Harris, Wilton McCray, Reggie Carrington, Avery Cleveland and Alvin Nnabuife.
That's more depth than we've had since 1989, to be sure. But Coach Bennett always has said he'd like to be three-deep, if needed. I know we lost the Cox kid .... who are our third-stringers? True freshmen?
Hal
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:36 pm

3rd team LBs gets you down to walk-ons or scholarship freshmen. John Pope is the only other upperclass LB that I see on the roster.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hal » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:47 pm

And if the LBs aren't ravaged by the injuries that hit them last year, we hopefully won't need to go as deep.
Hal
Varsity

Postby Mickey » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:21 pm

Heath Burnett is another junior LB. He and Pope have both seen some playing time. This is their 4th year in the program. Every good team has role players like them.
Mickey
All-American

Return to Football