PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

#30 1975 Comeback at Baylor

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

#30 1975 Comeback at Baylor

Postby 1982Express » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:34 pm

1982Express
Scout Team

Postby ponyte » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:31 pm

I was a guest of BU that game. There I was a in the BU recruit section cheering like crazy as the Ponies made one heck of an exciting comeback. After the game, instead of visiting with Grunt Taft and the BU losers, I made my way to a very excitied SMU lockerroom. I knew at that moment that I wanted to play at SMU.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BaldingBear » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:34 am

So pony tight end, you must've played for the Mustangs approx '76-'80. How exactly did the teams you were on do against these "BU losers"? Let's see: 1976 BAYLOR WINS, 1977 BAYLOR WINS, 1978 SMU WINS, 1979 BAYLOR WINS, 1980 BAYLOR WINS. Looks like you were 1-4 against Baylor in your 'career'. The next time you call somebody a loser you should probably be looking in the mirror when you do it. BTW, his name is Grant Teaff and he was one outstanding coach and motivator and he is as fine a Christian man as there is.
Baylor University-Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas
BaldingBear

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:27 am

BaldingBear wrote:So pony tight end, you must've played for the Mustangs approx '76-'80. How exactly did the teams you were on do against these "BU losers"? Let's see: 1976 BAYLOR WINS, 1977 BAYLOR WINS, 1978 SMU WINS, 1979 BAYLOR WINS, 1980 BAYLOR WINS. Looks like you were 1-4 against Baylor in your 'career'. The next time you call somebody a loser you should probably be looking in the mirror when you do it. BTW, his name is Grant Teaff and he was one outstanding coach and motivator and he is as fine a Christian man as there is.
OMG. I don't think ponyte said ANYTHING about Coach Teaff not being a fine Christian man. :roll: And BB, you haven't met ponyte, I have...he ain't a 'loser'. I dare you to say that to his face...you'll be sippin' your whiskey out of the other side of your head if you do.

As for ponyte's choice of SMU over BU: there was apparently something lacking in your school's football program that brought him to SMU. While we may have gone 1-4 during his time here, he's still a Mustang...and that's what counts in my book!
MrMustang1965

Postby huntnfish » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:28 am

didn't Grant Teaff the "fine Christian man" also ran a fake punt on the 1989 all freshman team who were the first back from the "death penalty" while Baylor was winning easily? can someone verify
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby huntnfish » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:29 am

didn't Grant Teaff the "fine Christian man" also ran a fake punt on the 1989 all freshman team who were the first back from the "death penalty" while Baylor was winning easily? can someone verify
huntnfish
Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:34 am

Not to mention Reverend Teaff was a huge hypocrite!!! Some of his fine young men were paid pretty well too! By the way..... I hear Coach Drew is paying very well these day's!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:34 am

I think our friend from Baylor is referring to the very tired and childish way that some poster's like to use nicknames (Grunt Taft, Copeland) that some feel is humorous. Personally, I think it only makes the poster's look foolish and adds nothing to the conversation. There is enough to discuss without lowering ourselves to name calling.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:39 am

Hopefully we will agree to disagree on this one BaldingBear. My opinion of Grunt Taft, which is based on playing against his teams and some minor though significant personal encounters, will not change based on your testimonial. I respect your opinion of him. Mine is different.

As to the loser in the mirror, one has to take into context one's priorities. My career win-lose ratio against BU just doesn't merit much consideration when I look into the mirror. It maybe to some who feel that life's achievements are based on 5 Saturdays in one's college experience. I do not base my self esteem, self worth or life’s achievements upon 5 games against BU as very significant. There are simple too many other events, achievements and priorities in my life that are more important than career wins against BU. Five Saturdays in the fall of the late 70s may be very significant to you and your self worth, self esteem and life's achievement and I respect that. It is that my priorities are vastly different.

As to this falls’ game, I look forward to the game. SMU-BU games have often been some of the closest and best played games to watch. Also, one can only be breathless with anticipation to see so many lime green leisure suits fill Ford stadium. It is a sight not seen in so many years.
ponyte

Postby WorldStang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:40 am

I'm actually a huge Grant Teaff fan.. he's a great coach and man. BUT.. PonyTE didn't say anything about him so calm down there BaptistontheBrazos. He's correct in saying that he didn't want to go to the losers lockerroom that night.. you guys lost that night and he was only speaking to the relevance of the story.

See you on the BLVD.. oh, wait.. there's drinking and dancing! Maybe not..
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:45 am

ponyte wrote:SMU-BU games have often been some of the closest and best played games to watch.
...with the exception of the 2003 debacle in Waco. :roll:
MrMustang1965

Postby BaldingBear » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:54 am

Opinions-one thing that makes the USA so great. We're all free to state them freely. I just thought ponyte refering to Coach Teaff the way he did as disrespectful. Then calling them (BU) losers when he was only on the winning side vs BU once was a little off. So ponyte doesn't like Grant Teaff, i can live with that. Those late 70s, early 80s SMU vs BU games were some of the best ever in the old SWC. Hopefully another classic will be added to the rivalry on 9/3/05.
Lime green leisure suits, now that's funny :lol:
Baylor University-Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas
BaldingBear

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:50 am

Terry Webster wrote:I think our friend from Baylor is referring to the very tired and childish way that some poster's like to use nicknames (Grunt Taft, Copeland) that some feel is humorous. Personally, I think it only makes the poster's look foolish and adds nothing to the conversation. There is enough to discuss without lowering ourselves to name calling.

It's Mr. Copeland now. You're behind the times.

ponyte wrote:
SMU-BU games have often been some of the closest and best played games to watch.

MrMustang65 wrote:
...with the exception of the 2003 debacle in Waco.

1 out of 2 isn't real bad. At least the 2003 SMU-Baylor game was close.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football