PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nice article on D. D. Lee

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nice article on D. D. Lee

Postby D » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:19 am

Nice article on Lee from Saturday's Commercial Appeal in Memphis. Was very nice for a change to open the paper and read about the Ponies - especially over here in SEC country.

SMU LB earns team's respect
Lee has fought injuries to play again this year

By Gary Parrish
Contact
August 6, 2005

Phil Bennett has never actually called for a vote. But he's thought about it, and the SMU coach knows he wouldn't need the Supreme Court to determine a winner.

"If you asked everybody on our team, 120 guys, who it is that they respect the most, he would get 120 votes," Bennett explained. "He just handles himself the right way."

He -- for those who know nothing more about SMU than Eric Dickerson and the death penalty -- is D.D. Lee, a senior linebacker now in his sixth year at the school.

No, college football players don't get normally six years of eligibility. The rules haven't changed.

But Lee had surgery prior to arriving at SMU in 2000, and took a redshirt that year. Then he played three seasons before suffering multiple injuries against TCU last year, just five quarters into what was supposed to be his final run at SMU. Instead, 2004 was also deemed a redshirt season, thanks to the generosity of the NCAA.

Add it up, and that makes for six years of school. Figure it in, and that's why Lee is already working toward his master's degree in liberal arts while mending his busted body.

"Within two plays, he tore a knee ligament and broke his elbow," Bennett said. "But even after that, he played like eight more plays and knocked the quarterback out before it finally just set it and he had to come out. That's how tough he is."

Tough. Smart. Likeable. Admirable. Those are all adjectives used to describe Lee, the elder statesman of this SMU team that finished 3-8 last season.

"We consider him to be the heart of the team," said SMU quarterback Tony Eckert, who started in all three of the Mustangs' victories last season. "We look to him for guidance and leadership, and I've never heard anything negative out of his mouth, not since I've known him. He's a great guy to have on your team."

Or with your company, as the story goes. Truth is, Lee isn't a surefire NFL pick. But what makes him the exception to most heralded high school athletes is that he recognized this and planned accordingly.

So rather than spend this summer focused totally on football, he interned with Maxim/Dallas, a company that makes semiconductors. Or, as Lee pointed out, a company that is "not the magazine."

Either way, he was offered a full time job, on the spot, upon completion. Honored, Lee said thanks, but declined the situation.

After all, he's still got one year of eligibility remaining. And if he was willing to compete eight-plays post a broken elbow, then it's easy to understand he's not the type to walk away from this sport while there's something left to be had.

"I've had to work extra hard to get to this point," Lee said. "I wanted to be with my teammates and coaches, and I couldn't pass on the chance to come back and play with these seniors. It's a blessing that I have this one more year. So I'm going to cherish it."

-- Gary Parrish: 529-2365

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluating: SMU

The past: SMU's history is, of course, best known for the death penalty. And though that was almost two decades ago, the past few years haven't been much better. The Mustangs went 3-8 last season, and they've won just 13 games over the past five years. That stretch includes an 0-12 record in 2003.

The present: SMU returns nine starters on defense and all 11 on offense. That means coach Phil Bennett will be working with a returning starter at quarterback for the first time in his four-year tenure. Still, the Mustangs were picked to finish last in Conference USA's West Division, which is not a good sign as they head into a new league.

The future: The move to C-USA has tons of advantages for SMU, the kind that could help return the program to respectability. In the WAC, the Mustangs were lucky to even get their scores in Texas papers on Sunday mornings, much less the type of stories necessary to increase interest and impress prospects. That situation being gone is what has Bennett excited, and hopeful that his string of losing seasons can end before his tenure does.
D
Varsity

Postby Pony Up » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:18 am

Nice story -- the pub is very much deserved!
Pony Up
All-American

Postby BUS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:36 am

Thank you for posting this story. Go Mustangs.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Lefty » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:08 pm

He's my nominee for C-USA Defensive Player of the Year.
Lefty
All-American

Postby that's great raplh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:26 pm

never give up hope!
that's great raplh

Postby smupony94 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:55 pm

As comic book guy would say "Worst post ever" raplh
smupony94

Postby A-town Pony » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:06 pm

Great story!

Ralph - great commentary. Your bringing a tear to my eye! (per CC)
A-town Pony
Scout Team

Postby smupony94 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:26 pm

Raplh - just saw the 10k for your company - some of that money better be going to the Mustang Club. Your name is listed along with stock options vested and exercised. Big donation or you will be outed and shamed by Mustang35something.

Edit - Raplh has donated to North Texas but is barely making his $200/year pledge to SMU.
smupony94

Return to Football