PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Offense

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Offense

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:39 pm

I went to watch practice last week, and came away encouraged, because:

* Cedrick Dorsey and Richuel Massey look a lot better than last year. A lot. Dorsey looks stronger, Massey looks lighter and they both seem a lot faster. Or quicker. Accelerating better. Not sure, but they looked good.

* Bobby Chase is a lot stronger than last year. He was already strong, but he's massive now. Between him, Ryan Kennedy, Vincent Chase, Rey Pellerin .... the QBs have some really big targets now.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby oakley » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Don't take this personally, but SMU's "spread" offense is reportedly very simple - basically 2 plays. Option hand-off from the shotgun and 3 yard curl by your TE.

Your small quick RB can have some success running around end, but not against teams with speed, who have LBs and DBs that will stop him before he can hit the corner. Forget running him up the middle - he's too small.

Your FG kicker is shanking them off of the OLineman's helmets or missing everybody and everything when he kicks.
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby BUS » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:53 pm

Your screwey
Go Mustangs :twisted:
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks Coach! We'll go ahead and show up anyway. Geez!
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SWC2010 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:14 pm

xxx
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby SWC2010 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:17 pm

oakley wrote:Don't take this personally, but SMU's "spread" offense is reportedly very simple - basically 2 plays. Option hand-off from the shotgun and 3 yard curl by your TE.

---

Hmmm. BU FB 2004: 3-8.

Oakley, unles you plan suiting up your "she-men" ladies hoops team, I like our chances!
SWC2010
Heisman

Postby Hilltopper » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:26 pm

And according to tomorrow's DMN story on the PF.com homepage, we just landed the #9 women's hoops players in Texas.

Tell you what: rather than look at our offense from last year, when everybody was trying to basically learn the language involved, I choose to look at the offenses Coach Burns has run in previous stops on his coaching carousel. Anyone who saw Cincinnati a few years ago knows he's a whole lot more than shotgun handoffs and TE curls. If anything, we didn't throw ENOUGH to the tight end last year. And which RB are you saying is "small"? Dorsey (200 pounds)? Massey (215)? Martin (215)?

And to further expose the "wisdom" in your analysis: which kicker have you been watching? (I know -- not ours. You can't even name him.) McMurtray missed ONE field goal last year.

Do your homework.

And kudos to BUS, Stallion and SWC2010.
Hilltopper
All-American

Postby TxSt06 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:42 am

Ya'll have an offense?? :lol:
Texas State- The Finest Place in Texas
TxSt06

Postby LonghornFan68 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:36 am

/\ You still have a team?
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby DiamondM75 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:17 am

oakley wrote:Don't take this personally, but SMU's "spread" offense is reportedly very simple - basically 2 plays. Option hand-off from the shotgun and 3 yard curl by your TE.

I hope that your coaching staff believes this. If they do, then Sept. 3, will be a whole lot of fun, if you are a Mustang.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Corso » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:46 am

Unfortunately, Guy Morriss is smarter than that.
If only we could let oakley put together the BU gameplan, huh?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby JudgeChamber » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:44 am

Oakley's been at your practices for the last few days, so he has an idea about what he's talking.
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby DiamondM75 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:20 am

JudgeChamber wrote:Oakley's been at your practices for the last few days, so he has an idea about what he's talking.

Now that is real credibility. You go to a couple of practices that are behind an iron fence that you can look through. And you see a few plays.

I know the coaching staff at SMU is showing everything they have in their playbook at a practice that can be seen by anyone. How stupid would that be?

In my opinion, the stupidity is on the SMU campus, but is outside the fence looking in.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby JudgeChamber » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:38 am

DiamondM75 wrote:I know the coaching staff at SMU is showing everything they have in their playbook at a practice that can be seen by anyone. How stupid would that be?

So the coaching staff at SMU are having their players drop passes and mis-time passes to throw off any on-lookers? That's GENIUS!! I must admit, that's a plan I'd never thought of: Don't practice what you are going to do, because you might tip something off, but instead, practice over and over again what you AREN'T going to do, and trick the opposing fans that will be watching the game! AMAZING. I now see why SMU has had as much success as they have.

DiamondM75 wrote:In my opinion, the stupidity is on the SMU campus, but is outside the fence looking in.

IMHO, the stupidity is this sentence. I'm not disagreeing that the stupidity is on the SMU campus, but your dependant clause is throwing me for a loop...
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Return to Football