PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

While watching the Hawaii game in Calif ...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

While watching the Hawaii game in Calif ...

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:58 am

it revealed how much work bennett truly has ahead of him.....we were simply out-classed both physically & athletically by hawaii......it should have easily been 30-3 by halftime - but it wasn't...

recruiting will be essential in the yrs ahead.....from what the tv showed - not even spurrier or rockne could have done a better job.....the tv announcers said all night long how hawaii had a 20-40 lbs. difference per man on the line & their receivers were so much quicker than our defensive backs.......

it will take several yrs boys & girls so BE PATIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: While watching the Hawaii game in Calif ...

Postby WildHorse » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:40 am

Amen.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby sam » Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:29 pm

That's crap,we were simply outcoached,you can not tell me they were that much better than SMU, they had six turnovers but we could do nothing with them,do you realize that we only had 170 yds total offense until 3 minutes left in the game.The blame lies at the feet of bennett,he and he alone makes these calls.Many inside including the OC have wanted a change,bennett will not allow it. You might also add how the announcers keep talking about how simple we look on offense and how we should mix it up a little and how we were going to work our running back to death and how they called our plays, how simple are we when the opposing teams announcers call your plays.

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 10-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 10-01-2002).]
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby HorsePower » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:39 pm

With all due respect, sam, I've got to disagree that the blame falls on Coach Bennett and Coach Bennett only. He doesn't call the offensive plays. He certainly has the right as head coach to overrule the offensive coordinator, but he's got too many other things to worry about than to do that with any regularity. Sure, he might do that occasionally, but only occasionally. He has said as recently as this week that he has the utmost confidence in the offensive coordinator, and he admires the fact that the OC isn't throwing too much at an offense that is extremely young. Wallis is a redshirt freshman. Kincade is in his first year as a full-time starter. ShanD is a sophomore. Daniel Francis, who outside of Cardwell has been the team's best receiver this year, is a true freshman. The OC could open up the playbook and call every play he's ever drawn up, and the players would be so confused they wouldn't be able to get to the line of scrimmage. I don't know what your vendetta is against Coach Bennett and his staff, but building a program takes time.

I totally respect everyone's right to an opinion, including yours. I just don't happen to agree with yours, which doesn't make either of uis right or wrong. I just hope that when Coach Bennett has this team winning in a year or two, you cheer as loudly as you raise questions now. Because he will get us there. What say you jump back on the SMU bandwagon?
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby MustangMom » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:45 am

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, Horsepower!!! Coach Bennett needs more depth, our freshman QB's will learn from this year and develop, and hopefully Bennett can recruit a stong class. Let's stay positive. I want SMU to win too!! You can't put the blame on Coach Bennett.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMom » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:47 am

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, Horsepower!!! Coach Bennett needs more depth, our freshman QB's will learn from this year and develop, and hopefully Bennett can recruit a stong class. Let's stay positive. I want SMU to win too!! You can't put the blame on Coach Bennett.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Return to Football